Author Topic: Is it too much $?  (Read 8112 times)

teamalty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Is it too much $?
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »

At what point is it too much $?

Does anyone need another T-shirt, flip-flop, hat or for that fact another boring lunch? The price to race is going overboard. The fun parts are the many fun raffles, the exciting courses, and the outstanding friends and competitors. Spending $110 for a six mile race does not cut it. $70 for a four mile race is ridiculous, and the travel to get there just adds to the misery. Sure, limiting the board size, adding a big-guy class, a surfboard class has its merits, but why sooooo much money? OK, I'll take any kind of cheese with my whine, but I thinking the season has ended already, and this one is going to have one less paddler.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too much $?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »
Yeah the price of racing on the West coast is getting out of hand ... recently paid $70 to race in a surfboard class, same race three years ago was half that price or less.

My first race on Maui was a Maliko run, cost $25 bucks and included beer and a catered meal by Sarento's restaurant after the finish! Now that's a good deal  :)

RyanSurfNTurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
Agree, very high race entry fees. And the prize money is only for men/women elites and 12"6' Heavies.

Speaking of prize money, you don't suppose they upped the entry fee to cover the purse, rather than fund-raise for it?

corgi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »

At what point is it too much $?

Does anyone need another T-shirt, flip-flop, hat or for that fact another boring lunch? The price to race is going overboard. The fun parts are the many fun raffles, the exciting courses, and the outstanding friends and competitors. Spending $110 for a six mile race does not cut it. $70 for a four mile race is ridiculous, and the travel to get there just adds to the misery. Sure, limiting the board size, adding a big-guy class, a surfboard class has its merits, but why sooooo much money? OK, I'll take any kind of cheese with my whine, but I thinking the season has ended already, and this one is going to have one less paddler.
I have to agree teamalty, that's too much for a t-shirt and lunch race.  Which race is this that cost so much?  I live on Oahu, and except for The BOP most races cost $30 - $40 bucks.  I like racing because you get to meet other people that love SUP and I like the challenge of the different courses.  Each year more and more people enter the races so you have to wonder where all the money is going?  :(

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
I am guessing that the original poster is talking about the just passed BOP.

I am not sure what they must pay for the ability to use the beach - but there are a lot of costs beyond the t-shirt / flip flops / and sandwich. 
A few others would be:
Insurance
Porta potties
Security
Timing system
Water patrol
Garbage removal
Tents and structures
etc. etc. are all cash "out"

Now also included in a BOP level of event is the fact that all the "booths" on the beach had to pay to be there - so a cash "in" situation - in addition to all the entry fees.

The question I guess is at what point do people stop entering due to the  cost of the event?

I flew from Edmonton, AB, Canada on Friday morning - spent 3 nights Hotel - did the Open and Distance race and flew home on Monday.   To me - to be able to more or less hang out with everyone (cause I am not that fast) was worth the money.   I had fun!   

On a side note - my own event up here is a 2 day event with an indoor surf contest one day, and a down river race the next.  Each day was $25.
We gave away 3 boards, 6 paddles, 2 board bags, 15 pairs of sunglasses, and countless other goodies (all adding up to about $14,000 worth at retail) all by draw + a different T shirt for each event and a BBQ lunch.   ;D

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
I would be willing to bet that the event (BOP) is net money loser for Rainbow... but that is just speculation.

Hey Warren, I am looking forward to the next throwdown at the Mall!

Give me lots of notice so I can get a cheap flight.

Keep the stoke burning up there and bummed I missed the BOP and the chance to meet you.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
   Let's see. Ten races that I don't enter for 75 bucks each.
   Wow, I just made 750 bucks off doing something that I love.
   Will that ruin my amateur status in case SUP's are in the Olympics?

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:36:22 PM »
It's all on how you want to spend your money.
I don't drink and I don't drink coffee - So I easily "save" my cash for race entry fees.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

RyanSurfNTurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »
I don't think he's talking BOP. It's another west coast race happening in NorCal.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
I like when races have a basic fee, then extra for the meal or t-shirt for people who want those.   

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
The cost of race fees is a big concern for many people.  Elite class racers who are not in the top tier are dropping into the open classes and/or only entering races that play to their strengths. 

The events are fun, but there is so many that I can't see all of them surviving with out a primary sponsor.  Small races with small prizes are fun and get people out.  The big races are nice for the sport, but I'm not sure how many $100+ entry contests the sport can support in one year and still draw the numbers.  Time will tell.  I think the magic is in <$50 entry like most of the 5k & 10k races.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
I'm used to race fees for road-cycling races.  For the price paid, you get closed or rolling-closure roads, neutral support vehicles, and thrill of riding 35-40mph in 100+ rider pack.  A fair price to live out some TdFrance dreams, if even for only a few hours, and cash prizes I can legitimately sprint for  -- maybe  :P

SUP's a great activity, but I personally can't understand paying $60 to paddle for 1hr.  Isn't that something I can do for free anytime I want?

NEWPORT (RI) SUP CUP, Oct. 1.  Rec class:  3miles, fee $59.54.  "BBQ lunch is not included in entry fee"
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Time for SUPper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
Here's a link to a video about how the costs of running a marathon have been going up and how the cost is broken down.  I'm guessing that most athletic contests have similar break-downs for race fees... hence why SUP races are increasing in cost.

http://bcove.me/sbrjzv48

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:44 PM »
I don't question what the registration fees are, I question where the money goes. I've pretty much decided that an event has to be a charity fundraiser to get my support. I'm fine with folks that want to put on an event to make a buck...its a LOT of work, but there are enough events out there that benefit good causes. I'd rather support those....of course I'm a little biased but I'm not just supporting CCBC events.

Being involved in planning major events I can tell you its not inexpensive to put one on. The CCBC runs 4 events/year. Other than the small amount we've put aside as seed money (the CCBC is a fledgling 501c3) every penny that we raise beyond our direct expenses (catering, insurance, band, tents, etc, etc...) goes to the kids at Christopher's Haven. The CCBC is our primary fundraiser. All the rest make money primarily on what we raise on the raffles/auctions. The registration fees just barely cover the cost. Those events are done to help grow the family, be more inclusive, spread the word...and have a blast.

Wellfleet SUPathlon...$40.00 for the race and surf contest..$25.00 for either alone. This ones low key. t-shirt (unofficial brews on the beach.. ;D), trophies for the winners.

Challenge on the Charles Race and Party $65.00...4 mile race, hors d'ouvres, catered dinner (our food is NOT lame, far from it...ask anyone that attended), Wachusett Brews, Barefoot Wine, awesome live band. t-shirt, trophies for the winners. A full day of great camaraderie, a fun race, a great party. You're a cheap bastard if you tell me $65.00 is too much for that....especially when you consider where any proceeds go.

Cape Cod Bay Challenge....$100 registration and a commitment to raise a minimum of $650 in donations (the $100 counts towards the minimum donations). same deal for food, beer, wine, t-shirt...also a Hei Matau carved especially for the CCBC by Hepi Maxwell, Standup Paddle Magazine, and some additional swag.

Humarock Late Summa Paddle....$55.00 for paddle and party. Again same deal for the food, brews and wine, t-shirt. Not a race, a somewhat crazy costumed cruise with 70 or so like minded nutjobs. This year it was a a short 1.5 hour paddle to the Wachusett Pirate Island for some brew booty followed by an end of summer bash with a smokin Reggae Band.

We did have race only or party only tickets for the events, lower cost for multiple family members, low cost under 21, and under 12 free. The CCBC is about building a community. Getting together for some good times and raising money to help kids and their  families during one of the most difficult times of their lives.

I'm not going to be critical of anyone that puts in the time and effort to plan an event. The market will regulate itself...price it too high...nobody shows...easy as that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:26:47 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
I agree that that teamalty's said prices are too high, but I also think board and paddle prices are high. My question is do people like Conner and Danny ching actually pay to enter these races? I assume their sponsors cover it but do the actual race promoters ever cover them to help promote the races?
Where there is wind, there is a wave

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]