Author Topic: 2nd wave board suggestion. Such a big decision, heavy weights only 200+.  (Read 5454 times)

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
have a 10" Naish Mana, I'm 230 and super adept at SUP,  very fit and athletic, ride front and backside, regular and goofy, straight down the line. From knee high to to overhead, can carve on wave face up and down, smack lip etc... etc...
What board is the next logical purchase for a guy my size... faster, more maneuverable etc... The Mana 10' is 210 L, everything seems like a gigantic jump?

Options I have kicked around:

9.5 Mana 190 L
10' Corbean Icon 162L
10'6 Corbean  Rocket 174 L, funny that this is 6 inches bigger and so much lighter, maybe because it has a pointy nose?
9'7" Ron House   Liters
9'3" PSH Ripper  Liters?
9' 6" Aipa               http://www.kingsurfhawaii.com/ben-aipa-sup-006.php
C4? Liters?

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd wave board suggestion. Such a big decision, heavy weights only 200+.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
Didn't realize the Mana was that big.  The 10-5 StarBoard Widepoint is 186l.  Can't see that being a very different ride than the Mana, but a lot less volume, which seems to be what you're looking for.  I'm 240# and no where near as good as you, but it floats me fine.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
For off the shelf models try the Coreban Fusion or the Joe Blair 8'11".  If you could get to Santa Barbara you could visit Wardog's shop (a Zoner - www.paddlesurfing.com) and ask him for advice - I like the looks of the Jammer 8'6" or Starboard Widepoint.  Also check out Tomahawk (www.tomahawksurf.com/Tomahawk_Stand_Up_Paddle/Home.html) - short & wide models designed for guys of size.

Custom?  Stamps (www.surfboardsbystamps.com) designs boards for bigger boys (see John Ashley's blog at www.paddlesurf.net).  When John was 230 he was riding an 8'6" Grim Ripper.  A fellow SUP'r swears by his Scott Chandler (www.chandlersurf.com) - Scott's not a small guy & he can ride.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
8'10" Wardog (Starboard) Wide Point!!! or, one of North Pacific's Jammer built custom.

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »
exactly what AJR said. Some new sizes of Widepoints coming out this year also worth checking out. The new fanatic allwave models look good and surfy but I haven't heard any ride reports yet. Keep us posted on your decision!
Where there is wind, there is a wave

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
The Coreban Fusion @ 148L will be a nice jump and you still will have plenty of floatation for paddling in chop, etc.  I'm almost riding it exclusively at 240lbs.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
The stock Imagine Enigma will be amazing... A little small... but amazing.

I rode an Enigma at 210... floated me fine.

Good luck in your search.

I would really give Stamps a good look.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
A really fun board for you would be the South County 9er

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
Well, I'm super adept at sitting on the couch...but I'm 240#...

Anyway, I think it mostly depends on what you want the second board to do.  Faster and more maneuverable to me suggests you're looking for a board for bigger and steeper waves.  I'm looking for a board like that myself, and am leaning towards a psh 9-11 ripper or a 9-11 HR...if I can find one to demo.

In an ideal world, I'd pair that with a small wave nose rider...maybe a jl Stryker or a naish nalu, and have a third board for downwind runs.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »

You have a lot of excellent suggestions.  I'm 225 and really like the Angulo 9'8".  It's surfy and stable.  I also have the PSH 10'6" wide ripper for bigger hollow days.  You didn't say where you surf and the conditions you surf in.  Best thing to do would be demo as many boards as you can. Let us know what you purchase and how you like it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »
Mark Johnson at Hobie showed me a new board he is probably going to add to their line. It looks like the CP Torque series, but is a little wider and has a little more volume. http://www.hobie.com/stand-up-paddleboards/96CPTorque-19-7.aspx  It's designed for the bigger guy. I'm going to demo it for sure. Maybe at the BOP? Should be a lot of boards to demo there. Beer garden, then demo boards..... In that order ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 05:07:06 AM »
I hit 235 and I switched to a PSH 9'6" ripper.  Mine is an older model with tri set up, but I bet the quad would be really fun.  It's not a board for knee to thigh high surf, but anything waist high (especially with some push) and up it's a blast.  We've had a nice run of head high plus surf here in Florida and the board lights up.  I've dropped some weight to around 210 and will probably downsize again, but at your weight I think it's something to consider.  To me, a lot of the boards on you list have way too much volume. 

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »
I go about 200lbs. Try to demo a PSH 9'11'' or 10'6'' wide ripper, I got the 9'11'' for my 2nd board, the thing is. I dont ride my other board anymore. I still cant get over how good it goes in small surf. Blane's got it down!

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
If you're talking pure performance, all those boards on your list are too BIG. I'm 235, not a terribly talented SUP'er by the standards of many of the guys I've had the chance to paddle with, but I have no problems paddling boards as small as 115 liters as long as it's not blowing over 10. After that I catch more waves and spend less energy on a bigger board.

That said - hopping to a board that small is going to take some time to getting used to, even if you feel incredibly proficient on that 10'0" Mana. For what it's worth, I rope a 9'0" Mana all last winter in Maui, and it is WAY too big for me now. I'm already planning how to score a smaller board when I get there next month.

Where do you live? Do some demo-ing. And then go for a size that is just a touch challenging to stand on the first hour you're using it - because in a week, you will be standing on it no problem.

Absolutetrip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Absolute trip Standup Paddle Surfboards
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
In this day and age not many of us will ever have the pleasure of having a tailor made suit made for us. Or a custom built car or house built to our specs.
So the thing we all enjoy most "surfing", why would anyone even consider not having something that is affordable and available custom made for your weight, surf style, and wave you surf most just for you?
 Call Stamps, Blair, or whoever else make a appointment let him see you hear you develop a relationship, pick out your colors and never look back. Not only will it help improve our surfing but unlike pop outs, custom made boards are always evolving. The board the shaper made for himself or his riders 2 weeks ago that is working unreal, that engineering will go right into your new board. Same kind of money built just for me, there is no other option....

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again