Author Topic: Paddling on one side issue/question  (Read 11371 times)

Canuck34

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Paddling on one side issue/question
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:29:44 AM »
Hi all,

Relatively new to SUPing but have been out quite a bit since I bought my board a few weeks ago.  I have really been working hard on my paddle stroke and have an interesting dilema.

When I paddle on the left side of the board (my natural paddle side) and put a bit of weight on the left rail I can go straight...as long as I want.  I went on a 4km paddle the other day and only paddled on the left side and never had to adjust except to turn around.

However, when I swith to the right side my board pretty much immediately turns left.  I have my weight on the right rail, my paddle is pretty much straight up and down, but on that side I seem to make the board turn.  I can't get in more that 5-6 strokes before I have to switch back to the left side.

Anyone else have this kind of problem and any suggestions?

Thanks,

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling on one side issue/question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:41:50 AM »
Most likely it's the paddle angle. You, like nearly everyone else who is right handed, find it easier to get the paddle shaft vertical on the left side. If you work on stacking your shoulders on both sides the problem should go away. There is a tiny possibility that it's your board, I've seen a board with with a crooked finbox in the hundreds of boards I've looked at.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:25:01 AM »
Hi Canuck34 - where abouts are you in Canada? I'm in Vancouver.

I been paddling for a few months now and still have this problem - great on my left but board starts rotating as soon I paddle on my right despite my best efforts. I'm sure it is something to do with the blade angle or even perhaps upper body rotation in the stroke. It doesn't help that I'm on an inflatable with smallish fins, I've got a new board now so hopefully that will help. Then I guess it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice...

Canuck34

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:11:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm in Toronto.

I also have an inflatable.  It is Shubu by boardworks and has a large removable fin along with two smaller attached ones.   I have checked them and they are straight.

I'll keep working on my angle.  I definitely have the paddle straight up and down when paddling but maybe it is the angle of my upper body or the blade itself in the water.

Wilverine

• Rincon Status
  • Day One
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »
You're lucky, you can at least get it to go straight some of the time ;D.  I'm zigzagging all over the place all the time!

refthimos

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
I went on a 4km paddle the other day and only paddled on the left side and never had to adjust except to turn around.

Really?  You paddled 2.5 miles, probably 30 minutes or more, on just your left side? My first thought when reading this was that you may have been compensating for a slight crosswind coming across the right side of your board, but then you say you did this on both legs of your loop.

I can't imagine paddling for 30 minutes on just one side of my board... even if your board starts to veer a little when you paddle on your right side, wouldn't you want to take a break every once in a while and at least give that right side 5-6 paddle strokes?

Canuck34

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
I know.  I've done a bunch of 3-4 km paddles all on that side because i can go so perfectly straight on that side, but even 2 or 3 strokes on the right side and the board turns.  So, I just stick to it.

I really am going to work on the other side though because I'm worried I'll end up losided!

refthimos

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
If there is really that much of a discrepancy in tracking between your left and right side, maybe there is something going on with your board.  It actually takes pretty good paddle technique (vertical paddle stroke, weighting paddle-side rail) to stay perfectly straight while paddling on only one side.  I'm like you (a right hander who has a "better" stroke on paddling on the left), but can't really say there is an appreciable difference in tracking between my left and right side paddles.  Even if your paddle stroke is worse on the right side, it's hard to imagine it's THAT much worse.  I would: (1) if you have a GoPro or can borrow one, stick one on the front of your board and see if you can diagnose a stroke problem, (2) have a buddy watch and see if they can spot something or (3) if that fails, check your fin.

C1SUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
Hey Canuck,
Come out and paddle in Oakville with me one day and I'll take a look at what you are doing.  I'm willing to bet you just aren't mirroring what you are doing on the left properly on the right  I went through this when I was learning although my good side was the right.  A few adjustments and lots of practice and you'll be pretty much fine, although you may always have one side which on which you have slightly better control than another.  I am away this coming weekend and then around for a while.  You cam message me if you want to set something up.  Am happy to get to know more of the local SUPers.

Canuck34

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
Thanks C1.

I was out for about an hour and a half tonight around A Bay.  I really tried to spend some time on the right side.  By the end I was getting pretty straight on that side but really had to focus on getting way on the rail and getting that paddle straight. 

I think I'll get there with some more work but the left will always be my better side. 

Not sure when I can make it to Oakville but I'll let you know!

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 07:23:30 AM »
I have that same issue and have had it for awhile. 

#1 - Check out the effect of standing further forward or backward.  Trim, as it is called, can have a huge effect on handling.  For me the biggest improvement came when I moved my feet forward by almost 12 inches.  Prior to that I had been trying to stand in what I thought was the middle of the board so as to evenly distribute my weight.  I had someone look at my form while paddling and their quick first comment was move forward.  So I did and it helped alot.

#2 - There is no immutable law that says you have to paddle on one side. 

Nothing wrong with switching sides as part of the workout.  Just make it part of your technique.  I've been working on switching every 5-6 strokes and as part of that switch movement I readjust my feet.  The frequent foot movement becomes a balance workout and helps beaucoup with preventing numbness in my hoofies.

I'm a leftie and can confirm that my problem is the opposite of yours.  So it works (or doesn't work) both ways :)
Jeff

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
i've got the same issue but find that i over power my opposite side. infact have learned in racing or long paddles my left (i'm left handed) side is my endurance side, and my righ is for pure power - short powerful strokes.  but.. paddling on one side for too long may create an imbalance of your shoulders, not a good thing.  so look into a gentler stroke on your opposite side; keeping your paddle shaft as straight or vertical as possible when passing your rail (tilting in or out will turn the board). 

in my homemade sup, i didn't 'eyed'  the width on both sides correctly thus i can paddle on one side for as long as i want (left side). fine, except it gets a little tiring. will us a board design program next time. :)
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

TortillaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
You can paddle straight, or even turn towards your stroking side... Pick a target to paddle towards, then plant your paddle a bit further from the board and focus on pulling the board directly towards your target... The fin will follow the board every time.

At the start you may have to pick a target fairly far deviated towards your paddle side in order to go straight.  A technically correct stroke (on the right board) requires almost no stroke deviation to go perfectly straight.

I find this an excellent way to understand how effective my stroke is.

ifallalot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
If the lead paddler is at or near the max hull speed, unless you can have the boards nearly touching and can connect the stern wave of the lead board with the trailing board so that from the waters perspective the two boards are just one, I can't think of how the the lead paddler could benefit.

If the lead board is not a hull speed, the lead board could theoretically ride bow wave of the trailing board a little.

This opinion doesn't come from any paddling experience, just lots of time on the water trying to make boats go faster.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 11:31:20 PM »
Me - right handed and stronger/straighter paddling on the left side like most folks.

For me one way to compensate is to switch my regular/natural hybrid stance to goofy - gives me a bit more reach and better shoulder stack on my weak (right) side and constrains my strong (left) side a little. Seems to balance me out and helps a lot with tracking and over time my "weak" left side is getting stronger. Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:32:55 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]