Author Topic: PFD and lights for a SUP?  (Read 30615 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: PFD and lights for a SUP?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »
You'd think that when the Coast Guard created the regulations affecting SUPs that at some point a group sat down and discussed what regulations would make sense for SUPs from a safety standpoint.  But there was no requirement that that ever happened, nor any reason to believe that it did.

Instead, the discussion was limited to whether SUPs met the existing definition of "vessels".  Once it was determined that they did, then the Coast Guard applied the existing regulations for vessels to them.  It's nice to think that there was a review at that point to determine if those regulations made sense or promoted safety when applied to SUPs, but I've never seen anything showing that the Coast Guard felt that was even relevant.

Then when people complained (like Strand Leper and the HPWA) complain, or make a reasonable request that allows leashes as an alternative to pfds, the Coast Guard either ignores them, or defends the "vessel" classification. But to my knowledge, the Coast Guard has never bothered to even argue that the regulations make sense from a safety standpoint, let alone show that they do. 

And all the local authorities that enforce regulations also just do that based on the Coast Guard regulations, with the few exceptions people have posted.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »
PB, I agree completely that a pfd taped to the deck of a sup is useless from a safety standpoint.  I also question the benefits of those over priced waist worn inflatable pfds and those crap $2 orange C.G. approved pfds. 

The C.G. by nature is bureaucratic.  I've heard from those that manufacture pfds that it cost them between 20 and 30 thousand dollars to get their new designs C.G. approved.  Silly really, considering those people designing and manufacturing pfds are also using and testing them in real world environments. 

A leash substitute for a pfd is a bit silly as well.  I could see the jet ski community arguing that they don't need a pfd if the rider is leashed to the vessel hell you can ride a motorcycle in some states without a helmet.

In a nutshell, it is a law enforcement issue.  Whereas I would prefer that they focus on crimes against people and property, they would rather focus on writing citations as tools of the nanny state such as the $150 ticket from the DNR ranger for paddling without a flashlight on an deserted mountain lake. 

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
I'd love to hear of a situation where a PFD attached to a SUP is of any use at all other than keeping you from being fined. That would take some creative writing.

BTW: Congrats on going over 5k posts, Bill... That's amazing!  Paddle (and post) on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

250SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
This discussion highlights the fact that we as SUP users need to be more involved in getting these regulations changed. 

To date the complaints have been many, but outside of the efforts of the HPWA, the actions of zone members been minimal at best. The fines are only going to increase as the sport grows and more people are on the water, so we need to make some noise to keep the attention on the issue.

Rather than complain about it, help out the HPWA and take the few minutes required to send an email to your local municiple and federal representative outlining the stupidity of the regulation as most people don't understand it until it is explained to them and then the light comes on.

I'm actively working on the Canadian equivalent as fines have started to surface here this year.  To date, I don't think anyone has even bothered to bring up the topic in Canada as it hasn't been an issue until recently. My local federal representative and several levels of Transport Canada have all been served now though, so we'll wait to see if they recognize the foolishness of their ways.

SUP Ottawa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Ottawa - SUP Ottawa
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »
Here's a man trying to change the system in Canada. Bob Purdy and Paddle for the Planet is spearheading an effort to have the Canadian Marine Advisory Council (CMAC) and Transport Canada recognize the use of a standup paddleboard as a suitable safety alternative when used in combination with a standard surf-style board leash as it provides the user with a readily accessible, inherently buoyant safety device that reduces the likelihood of personal injury or death in a manner that exceeds the level of safety afforded to the user under the current requirement of a PFD (worn or not) and no board leash.

If you're American and an avid SUPer, I'm sure you can also follow the directions and email the council to help the cause and your fellow SUPers up north.

http://www.paddlefortheplanet.ca/pfd-2012/
Cheers,
SUP Ottawa

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM