Author Topic: Best inflatable board (10.6 - 11 +)  (Read 15693 times)

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best inflatable board (10.6 - 11 +)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
I have had both ULI and C4 iSup. The ULIs and C4 are very different.  They may have similar bladders but ULI adds Kevlar stiffeners to top and bottom.  Often even add the stiffeners where you stand.  If you talk with Jim at ULI he can pretty much make the board how you want it.  Also no pump compares to the ULI pump.  They have a new one that is even better than the last.  You can easily get the boards to 17 psi (this is what is recommended).  If you are over 150 lbs I would seriously consider the ULI over the C4, less than 150 lbs either would be great. 

Cheers, Jill

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
One more vote for the Uli, it's the bomb.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »
i am on my second uli, first was lopez, now it is FAQ.

why go with copycats if you can go with original?

today I had glued the loops for gopro mount to my FAQ to the nose, shoulda be asking Jim to do this in retrospect.

uli vs C4? I dealt once with C4.. way  in the beginning (i.e. 5 years ago... loong time)... I was trying to buy a paddle... they didn't reply for a week... laid back business model... I guess it was sign from the above, because by that time I bought a QB (instead of their paddle with 3 month warranty) (and C4 still spams me with their ads!)

so no question for me, the ULI it is.

one warning about inflatable in general. in the beginning it will feel bouncy, after a while you will stop noticing this.

also Jim can make you single skin and double skin. single skin is significantly lighter, but not a bomb proof. doubleskin is 26 lb, but it is bombproof.

decagrog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »
i am on my second uli, first was lopez, now it is FAQ.

why go with copycats if you can go with original?

today I had glued the loops for gopro mount to my FAQ to the nose, shoulda be asking Jim to do this in retrospect.

uli vs C4? I dealt once with C4.. way  in the beginning (i.e. 5 years ago... loong time)... I was trying to buy a paddle... they didn't reply for a week... laid back business model... I guess it was sign from the above, because by that time I bought a QB (instead of their paddle with 3 month warranty) (and C4 still spams me with their ads!)

so no question for me, the ULI it is.

one warning about inflatable in general. in the beginning it will feel bouncy, after a while you will stop noticing this.

also Jim can make you single skin and double skin. single skin is significantly lighter, but not a bomb proof. doubleskin is 26 lb, but it is bombproof.

Well I've had the same experience but with Uli. It was just about one year ago when I've decided to buy my first inflatable board, Initially my choose was for a Uli board but after over a month of very difficult and inconstant communication I've given up and directed my attention to C4.
Maybe it was just bad luck,  if I remember well at that time there was a Jim parent sick so they had some logistic problem and that was understandable .
Also here in the forum I've founded more than a post ( I'll try to search it ) where after a comparison between the uli and c4 the conclusion was that both the boards were produced with the same process , maybe now it's changed and for sure is good to know that the newer model are different and the Uli seems better ( Kevlar stiffeners )

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:43:17 PM by decagrog »

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
My c4 is awesome and the company has been very responsive
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

David K

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 06:19:19 AM »
I selected an Uli Steamroller prior to our family spring break trip to Florida.  It was surprisingly stiff and responsive.  I have no idea whether other companies' boards are as nice or even nicer but I do know that I would, and likley will, buy another Uli.  David K 

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
ULI'S service is awesome, and Jim Weir is the nicest human on the planet.
Decagrog, I truly believe your communication issues were solely because Jim Weir's brother, and business partner, Chris was battling cancer, and unfortunately recently passed away. Additionally, his Mom just passed away. I can honestly say that I have NEVER received better service from any other company, and I have owned 6 ULI'S. Two I have given to friends as gifts, and they love them. Their new FAQ is the best inflatable I've ever ridden. I have nothing negative to say about the other companies, I just love ULI, and the people who make them. Not to mention it is THE ORIGINAL.

decagrog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »
 I'm sorry to read those bad news ,  Jim can have all my comprehension, never thought that his family problem were so serious...  :-[

thatdeonguy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
Looking forward to my 3rd ULI SUP.
I had a ULI Steamroller, now have an ULI Lopez GX-1 and I just ordered a Fat Ass Quad from Jim @ ULI today.
I have convinced 3 other individuals locally to purchase ULI.
Everyone is very happy with their boards.
Every time I ride my ULI's people have a bunch of questions.
I have no worries recommending ULI to anyone.
I am proud to support a family owned California business.
You may find a cheaper inflatable SUP board.
You can't buy a better inflatable SUP!
Deon

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »
If you can delay your decision, there may be another player in the inflatable market very soon. One of our most respected SUP brands.  :-X

Both Naish and Starboard will have inflatables for next year - just saying.
And the Hobie one is really nice as well.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

250SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
Warren have you heard when the Naish inflatables are going to be available to retailers yet?  Is it after BOP Cali?

Dealmaker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
A month ago I purchased two new Uli's (10 ft Steamroller and 11 ft.) for a family trip to Florida. They set me up with the two boards, leashes, paddles, and travel bags.  They were responsive to my emails, had what I needed in stock, one click, and shipped it out right away.  The quality of the boards and manufacturing appears excellent, and all the boaters we passed who stopped to say hello were blown away when we told them the boards were inflatables.  We had a total blast paddling around all over with me and one kid on my board, the wife and the other kid on her board.  A pretty expensive purchase, but seen as a family investment as we will take these anywhere we go where there's water...up or down the coast, the river, lakes, etc.  My only regret is that I didn't think to ask Jim to glue some tie-downs on to the board...which brings to mind another great thing about the company - the fact that you can communicate directly with the main dudes and that they are willing to do custom work.

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
I've tired cheaper inflatable boards, like the Sevylor boards.  I found that I couldn't get them hard enough.  They were just soft enough to m ake balance a challenge in all but flat water.

Do the ULIs get really hard, or are inflatables always a little soft compared to a hard board?

I pumped the Sevylors up to 12 - 15 psi, per the cheap manometer included.  I blistered my hands on the pump doing it.

lakesurfer

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
Now I need to check Uli out.

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
My shop brought in a couple of the Red Paddle boards. I was really surprised at how well they paddled. I was a little skeptical with it being an inflatable. It tracked well and was fairly stiff when pumped to 15psi. I haven't tried it in the waves yet, but for flat water paddling it was good. I've seen ULI's but haven't paddled them so I have no other inflatable board comparison. For a travel board I thought it was great, especially for the  price.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf