Author Topic: Take a look at page 52 2011 starboard catalog.  (Read 44371 times)

Dub_G

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Take a look at page 52 2011 starboard catalog.
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »
I don't know why starboard did it, but it's lame. It's called false advertising.

Praxis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
Well we all know why, it's a sweet pic of a amazing rider. I am just interested in finding out what their spinmasters are going to say about this one. The other time they got called out they stated that they always show their riders on Starboard product. Well Starboard what's the story this time. Love to hear a response please.
"Hey you want to see a funny video" Jimmy

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
I'm sure Starboard wasn't implying it was THEIR board.  They are just showing that their board is so good, it performs like a Jimmy Lewis.  We'd like to introduce the 2012 Jimmy Lewis catalog in which we follow suit.
I feel sorry for Jimmy Lewis.  First, Starboard uses a photo in their catalog of a guy riding a Jimmy Lewis board.  Now, Mercedes is putting Jimmy Lewis logos on their cars to cash in on the cachet of the Jimmy Lewis brand.  What will be next--Paris Hilton with a JL purse?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Here again are the pics in question.  First one is from a thread here on the zone back in May of 2010;   
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7212.0

This one is from the starboard catalog; 
http://www.star-board-sup.com/2011/products/profile.php?post_name=2011_pro-10-3-x-29

Support your local shaper

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
Well Starboard what's the story this time. Love to hear a response please.

Starboard has already responded, but they put posted it in the original thread from last January.

Dear All,
We like to refer to Margaretas input in December.

Dear All,
You have a valued point on this subject. We fully agree with keeping messages real and honest in communication. One of the biggest challenges we have is to not only support our riders but also give them the space they need to show their true talents. This combined with an extremely tight time line force us to sometimes make the “wrong” decisions.

In this particular case, we wanted to give a new rider from Hawaii a chance, (later through the year he ended up winning the trial event for Waterman Leagues finals in Hawaii) But since he came on board so late, he had already missed our internal photo shoots.
Composing a 90-page catalogue, illustrating the characteristics of each product and pinpoint each rider’s talents is a quite complex task. We found a suitable page for this rider but due to the short time it was impossible to send him the correct boards, expect good forecast and photos in time for our deadline. This is why we organized a single person shoot to showcase his capabilities and highlight the purpose of the board, on the products we had. It is of course on a Starboard product, just a slightly different model.
The other alternative was to not give this rider any exposure at all.

All our riders are amazing athletes. We are extremely proud of every single one of them and we whish to help them in their professional career as much as we can and give them all equal exposure. It would be a lot easier and cheaper for us to only support and highlight one or two riders but since we have the opportunity to grow our Team, we feel obliged to help, support and together grow this industry.

We apologies for putting a “bad light” on this sport but hope you may understand that we only tried to leave room for more talents.

Margareta Engstrom

Praxis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
Third paragraph of her reply last sentence.
 Changing the models of THEIR boards is bad enough but using another brands board and photo shopping on some color and outlines is fraud.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »
Wow - must be a slow day on the intra webz.

I'm going paddling! 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Chase Maxwell

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »
"The other alternative was to not give this rider any exposure at all. " 

That would have also been the honest and ethical thing to do.  If you want to show case him so bad, put him in an ad.  What you did didn't help him or you.  You chose to do what you wanted instead of what was right, and now you are being called out. 

Welcome to the Internet.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
LaPerouse,

I DID NOT give you permission to post that picture of me... that was for your eyes only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You better not post the one with the candied dots on the front... or there will be a problem....

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »
I can understand dealers attempting to defend starboard or act like this is much ado about nothing. You have a stake in this. I hope inside and behind the scenes though you are pissed off and hammering Starboard for doing something so dumb. I have a lot of respect for Starboard for the quality of their boards and how they've helped grow the sport but this kind of thing is indefensible and can turn off someone even like me who has been a big proponent of theirs. I've sold a lot of folks on their boards. But all else being equal I would recommend another manufacturer over them until this is recognized, apologies made, and promises to never again let it happen made. This stuff is serious, I design for a living, if someone steals your intellectual property it matters. Behavior like this is no different than walking out of a shop with the cash register drawer....if anything its actually worse.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:47:59 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »

You better not post the one with the candied dots on the front... or there will be a problem....
Turn down the sound if the kids are around...

Dub_G

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
Well we all know why, it's a sweet pic of a amazing rider. I am just interested in finding out what their spinmasters are going to say about this one. The other time they got called out they stated that they always show their riders on Starboard product. Well Starboard what's the story this time. Love to hear a response please.

Regarding the impertinent response to my comment... You can assume they did it intentionally. For the sake of objectivity, I prefer to at least consider the possibility there was an error. It's lame regardless and I lose respect for a company when they do this whatever the reason. It's false advertising, but I would at least like to hear their explanation before calling it outright fraud. Either way, there does seem to be a pattern emerging with starboard and this type of thing, and I'm all for calling BS on matters like this when needed. Gotta say that JL baby bombora is looking solid off the bottom in that shot.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:39:25 PM by Dub_G »

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
... This stuff is serious, I design for a living, if someone steals your intellectual property it matters. Behavior like this is no different than walking out of a shop with the cash register drawer....if anything its actually worse.

It sounds like you're jumping to the conclusion that the photographer was not compensated for the photo?  I would hope and assume the opposite.  If not, your point is valid.

Praxis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2011, 04:14:17 AM »
I am a dealer for both lines and this is annoying.( am I allowed to say that? ;) ) This was without a doubt intentional and they are very aware of this little issue. Zoom in on the image in the catalog and you can see the they altered the board in the shots coloring to make it look starboardy. As for the photographer getting compensated that would be a entirely new issue if they swiped a image but I haven't heard anyone cry fowl nor seen anything that points to that. I am sure that they are simply waiting to see if this just burns itself out and goes away.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]