Author Topic: Duckdive  (Read 5509 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Duckdive
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Duckdive
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »
I would like to start a video contest that would be limited to videos of everyone else trying this move (soon to be named the SUK-dive on surfermag).  Let my 5$ be the first in the pot.  Pass the popcorn.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:45:06 AM by Admin »

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
Schmoood, dat buggah.

I can see myself trying that, going over the falls backwards, and breaking my board.  Video would be great!

A friend actually turtles/hulis his sup to punch through waves.  He has a carrying strap in the middle of the board.  He hangs onto the strap and flips over just before the wave comes.  So he's "standing on his board upside down while holding onto the strap.  Says it works well.  I worry about that strap coming off since he's pulling it at it's weakest angle (wave pull plus your hands/feet torque).
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

Toesonthenose

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
Thanks for the video clip! Never done it (or seen it done) quite like that. Can't wait to try that technique.
I surf a 9'0" board and it duck dives (when I'm lying down on it - my weight a little forward - and holding my paddle against the rail) beautifully. The trick, of course, is to get the nose down so the board goes under the oncoming whitewater. Can't wait to try this while standing up. My other strategy is to turtle the board - hanging onto the rails while upside down - just as the whitewater is approaching so the wave goes over me and the board. Not sure how successful this would be on a high volume board.

Glider

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 05:22:13 AM »
I've been able to pull the suk-dive on my knees in small surf under head high , to fat an old pull it standing up.
It works well the lower you get , be careful not to smash your head on the board, it come up very fast as you go thru the wave.  Timing is everything, get up lots of speed and make sure you get under the lip of the wave.  If not it become a headon colision with alot of water resulting in a wild ride backwards, as the very least a good smashing.  Seems to work better in hollower waves.  Shorter boards work better as well, less board for the wave to go over.  Kai trick is pretty amazing, he made it look easy, it isn't !  Keep having fun and pushing the limits boys & girls !

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:10:56 AM »
tried it once and went down in flames-definitely need a smallish board-i ride a 9'-i can get the nose down-just mistimed my paddle and was not carrying enough momentum and got pushed back and sideways, but i can see how with some practice you could get it down. But its just too much work for my back, trying to get my 17 year old to try it but he says its a kook manuever, what does he know-he still watches Spongebob!....
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
my version with a 12' board - while off the board but holding it by the leash behind the tail, and holding the handle of the paddle - I duck under (boardless), let my gear flow behind me whilst going under the wave.  if the pull is too much on the board i let the leash go, providing there's no one behind me. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
Pretty certain I'd have a flat face if I tried that. Connor does a move that's really odd--pushes his board under water and then shoves it along by the tail. No idea how he does that, but he gets under some really big stuff that way.

I don't plan to learn anything from these guys. I might as well try to learn from Klingons. Different planet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soulpaddler

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:40:47 PM »
The size of the surf looks like it plays a big part in how he does it.  Looks like that wave kind of breaks on top of him before he punches through.  Who am I to judge though, his surfing is light years ahead of mine.

cole gnar

• Sunset Status
  • Irie strokes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:55:17 AM »
I wonder if it's do able with a wider nosed board seeks like a wider board woulny pole through and it might flip you off
peace,
gnar...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
Today at 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest