Author Topic: First Race Board made in the UK by me!  (Read 17596 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: First Race Board made in the UK by me!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 01:22:51 AM »
ive been thinking about rocker aswell, ive not eared anyone talk about it like this but please correct me if im rong, yes i would think that the less you have the faster it will be on the flat but i also think that there is also something going on there with the pitch stability and sensitivity and that possibly  the flatter rockers may benefit from the wide point being in front of the centre reduce sensitivity and constantly bering the nose even in very small swells ie surfing another paddlers wake..

any one see what im kinda thinking?

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »
Took the 16 footer out in 15-18 mph  conditions this morning,wind quartering from the back at about 45 deg, every bump the nose went under. Had to go all the back over the fin to get it to come up. Caught bumps very easily but once on , not so good. I think the part about rounding down the nose too much is a valid point , the board almost wants to go down instead of up. As is the case most of the time, its all about the compromise. Back to the basement.

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
All other issues aside, regarding moving the widest point forward of center, your hull shape becomes a "fish" instead of "swede" and the swede shape is faster.  150 years of skulling/rowing has proven it.

I think SUP shapers might have to go through their own learning curve, but for my racing SUP hull I'm sticking with the swede form.  Widest point aft of center.

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
lazymodo -  Look at the bright side, now you have the perfect opportunity to go back and glass on a killer viking-esh war nose on your 16'er to get her "fixed."  It'll ride high and scare your competitors.

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:45 AM »
Yeah! It will go with my fur vest and horned helmet! I can paddle around screaming "Whats in your wallet?! ;D

Surferden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 01:48:02 AM »
Just an update on progress, tripped myself up a couple of times during the process, I pigmented the bottom glass job white, sand coat white and "finish" coat white,
Ended up having to paint the deck with two pack Eipifanes, what a faff, I'll never paint a board again, rails are polished clear Carbon though, bottom is pigmented resin RR2000, deck is painted red and white. I'll pigment all resin on the next board all over and spray graphics under a clear finish coat top of board, next board (16' DW).
I'll post the finished board, should be finished today!

dblass

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »
Took the 16 footer out in 15-18 mph  conditions this morning,wind quartering from the back at about 45 deg, every bump the nose went under. Had to go all the back over the fin to get it to come up. Caught bumps very easily but once on , not so good. I think the part about rounding down the nose too much is a valid point , the board almost wants to go down instead of up. As is the case most of the time, its all about the compromise. Back to the basement.

I have no knowledge in hull design, but analizing the photo of the Hobie 'Wild Cat' bow, there is a endentation on the hull that i supose is to prevent it from sinking to much in the wave, so i wonder if a V shaped foam, like the one on the starboard k-15, placed on the deck of a pearcing bow SUP, would have the same effect in preventing the hull from sinking too much in these situations. What do you think?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
I know it's your personal board, and you can do anything you want with it, but I was curious about your color selection and deck striping? It does look familiar. It looks great by the way. You did an awesome job.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Surferden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »
Dam TD1, I'm busted  ;D just liked the colour scheme and wanted to show the carbon through the rails and the hobie is lovely for that, it'll be a one off though as the next board will have completely different graphics/colours and no carbon showing, I'll post the final pic with logos and pin lines..SD

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
SD,
I was just talking with Hobie's main shaper, and he said the bamboo on their new carbon race boards is actually structural. You only see it on front deck area, but it runs the full length top and bottom. They vacuum form the bamboo, then wrap the rails from bamboo to bamboo with carbon fiber. They say it's lighter, stronger, and more enconomical than extra layers of carbon fiber. Your board actually looks like the older models now, but I don't think it could be called a 'Classic Replica' yet.. ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »
Beautiful job! Good to know about the paint, i was considering it as well. Well done. Cant wait to see the DW'er.

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
[quote aut

I have no knowledge in hull design, but analizing the photo of the Hobie 'Wild Cat' bow, there is a endentation on the hull that i supose is to prevent it from sinking to much in the wave, so i wonder if a V shaped foam, like the one on the starboard k-15, placed on the deck of a pearcing bow SUP, would have the same effect in preventing the hull from sinking too much in these situations. What do you think?
[/quote
I think your refering to that splash rail type of thing like they put on 6 man outriggers and sunfish. I think thats just to keep the water out of the cockpit area. That K15 has a pretty deep standing area if im not mistaken. The problem with my board was the lack of rocker. Boy, when it gets even a little rough the really flat board gets squirrelly. The wave piercing aspect of it is legit, when it goes under it keeps going strait, then comes up. Add rocker to that design and some surfy elements for when your planing and I bet it would be awsome.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
lazymodo -  Look at the bright side, now you have the perfect opportunity to go back and glass on a killer viking-esh war nose on your 16'er to get her "fixed."  It'll ride high and scare your competitors.
Yeah! It will go with my fur vest and horned helmet! I can paddle around screaming "Whats in your wallet?! ;D
Hilarious! ;D  Keep on with all the R&D guys. We will all enjoy the benifits in the future. If it were easy we would all be doing it.  ;)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin