Author Topic: Board Review after one week: Tim Stamps Ninja Bump 9x29x4  (Read 6172 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Board Review after one week: Tim Stamps Ninja Bump 9x29x4
« on: April 14, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
So i wont beat around the bush...THIS BOARD KICKS ASS! so far i've ridden it in supper choppy, windblown junk, small, knee high surf, and the last few sessions were waist to shoulder, with the very occasional head high wave, beach breaks, steep faces where speed is key to make sections before they close out. initially rode it with a 2+1 set up with a 7.0" futures performance center fin and 4.25" side bites. nice and loose and maneuverable, very easy to whip around. for the bigger stuff i threw on a set of lopez thruster fins i have from a previous board and they performed just they way i remembered them; very fast and stable and if you want to really make these fins turn you absolutely have to be way back with your foot over them (no different than any other thruster set up).

even though this board is the same dims as my old board it has less rocker, which makes it a more versatile board because it paddles into smaller stuff much easier, but it also has no problem on later take offs. it's also waaaay faster down the line, and i cannot believe how fast this board is. the nose and tail are thinned out quite a bit, and so are the rails, and it sinks just a touch more that my old custom Craig, but because it has less/different rocker it still paddles better. this board is definitely a keeper, and when i am ready for another board to add to the quiver i see no reason why i wouldn't call tim up and have him make one for me. the email interaction i have had with him has been great, and he seems like a great shaper to work with. very enthusiastic and seems to enjoy hearing riders' feedback about his boards. even though it's a 9'0, which is still on the longer end of performance SUP's, this thing has the best 'surfboard' feel our of any SUP i have ever ridden in the 8'10 to 9'6 range. it doesn't feel big at all, goes rail to rail really well and doesn't feel thick or cumbersome like other boards in this range seem to have because they make up the loss in length by making them wider or thicker. the way he foils his boars and does the rails is what makes these boards come alive i think. i guess he makes some killer shortboards (i am not a prone shortboarder, never have been, never will because i am not that good!) and it's really great to see a shaper take what he does with his shortboards and apply them to an SUP. i don't know how tim does it, but he makes one hell of a board, and if you're in southern california and are looking for a killer SUP that rips, you should give him a call. i never heard of him until others on this forum suggested i try his boards, and i just wanted to thank all of you who did!

tried to get some shots showing how thin the nose and tail are...this board is also designed to be a noserider, but i am not a noserider...yet.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:45:56 PM by ODJ »

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Review after one week: Tim Stamps Ninja Bump 9x24x4
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Thats Awesome ODJ.  Looks like a killer board.  Are you sure it's only 24" wide?  It doesn't look like 24" wide.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Review after one week: Tim Stamps Ninja Bump 9x24x4
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
Thats Awesome ODJ.  Looks like a killer board.  Are you sure it's only 24" wide?  It doesn't look like 24" wide.

oops! 29"!!! typo!

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Review after one week: Tim Stamps Ninja Bump 9x29x4
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
I started to think you had a little bit of super human balance in you.  Nice Review!

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
I started to think you had a little bit of super human balance in you.  Nice Review!

there are a couple guys who are pros that i see out once in a while and they ride 27" and 27.5" and i do not know how they do it!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
ODJ,

Your first magic standup... I know the feeling!

Congratulations!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
ODJ,

Your first magic standup... I know the feeling!

Congratulations!

Tim

thanks, tim! i really can't believe how much fun this board is!

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »
ODJ,

The board looks good. Everyone I've talked to who has one likes them. See you on the water in S.D.

Aloha,
Jeff
Aloha,
Jeff

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »
How much do you weigh?  Not sure a 4" thick board would float my 197 lbs. very well.  Love the cosmetics.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »
How much do you weigh?  Not sure a 4" thick board would float my 197 lbs. very well.  Love the cosmetics.

i am 6'2", 185-187lbs. like i mentioned, it does sink just a touch more than my previous SUP with the same dims, but it also had a touch more foam. when i was emailing tim he suggested something like 9' x 29 1/2" x 4 1/4, and i came across this board used, which was pretty darn close, and i took a chance and got lucky i guess because it really is perfect for me. i'm sure if you emailed him he could figure out a way to make it work for you. like i mentioned in the review, he is super receptive and always gets back to me pretty quick via email. excellent customer service, which means a lot.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
ODJ,

The board looks good. Everyone I've talked to who has one likes them. See you on the water in S.D.

Aloha,
Jeff

jeff,

where do you surf? we should meet up sometime.

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
ODJ,

Depends on the conditions and tides. Typically Del Mar or Sunset. Sometimes Mission, Old Man's, or North Bird.

I'll PM you the next time the surf looks good.

Aloha,
Jeff
Aloha,
Jeff

onesandalboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:24 AM »
How do you like the GL's?IM looking to get the quad set up.Let me know.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »
How do you like the GL's?IM looking to get the quad set up.Let me know.

i've always really liked the GL fins and have had them on all my boards. they perform really well, and excel when the surf gets bigger or has a lot of energy behind it. for me, they inspire confidence on bigger days and really allow you to lay on the rail really hard when making your bottom turn and not have it slide out. they are ok in smaller surf too, but because of their large amount of surface area you really have to be back over the fins to crank tight turns. i think they are well worth their cost.

i also have a quad set that i had on a board i used to own. sold the board, but kept the fins. dont own a quad right now, but keeping the fins in case i ever own another quad, but i'm digging the thruster set up. it hold better, and once you learn how to turn a thruster it's way more precise than a quad, at least to me.

not sure where you live, but if you are in or near san diego you are more than welcome to borrow my GL quads since they just sit in my garage and see if you like them.

WB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »
ODJ,

Were you up at SanO/Dogpatch yesterday morning? Was surfing with a guy (goofy-footer) on a Stamps similar to yours. If it was you, I commented on what a nice backside floater you had! If it wasn't you, your brother from another mother was surfing well.

-WB

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]