Author Topic: Shaka Steinlager is on!  (Read 7647 times)

Blane Chambers

Re: Shaka Steinlager is on!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 08:45:58 AM »
From what I heard...

1st: Kamu Auwai
2nd: Dave Parmenter
3rd: Leleo Kinimaka
4th: Nolan Keaulana

Congratulations to all! ;D

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »
Leleo was really impressive.  He navigated gnarly Sunset as if it were a windless pond.  Also Candice Appleby was the only gal in the event, and she charged.  Great to see!  Also noteworthy: 13 year old Slater Trout, the only kid in the event, caught two double over head set waves and this was only his second time out at Sunset.  Wow!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:45:14 AM by Chan »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
Here is the report and pics from the Advertiser:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880406001

We scored some tasty waves out of the wind at a spot that I have wanted to surf my whole life.  Some things are as good as they look!

Yeeeeeooooooowwwwww!

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »

I shot video of some longboarding and the first few heats of standup.  It won't dialogue the event, but it will for sure show how tough the condition was, and what you guys were up against.  Anyways, it should give a little feel. 

cool, let's see some vid!

stand up family

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 01:55:33 AM »
Just got back this evening from the Steinlager.  Conditions were crazy but it was awesome to watch all those talented SUP navigate the wild waters!  Great fun to see all the familiar faces again...like the C4 crew hangin out watching their team riders rip it up.  The pregnant monk seal lounging on the beach was a big hit and what a better way to spend a beautiful weekend day than at Sunset.  So psyched that the Steinlager series is up and running again, don't miss the next one!

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08:28 AM »
What was the minimum board length for the contest?  Or better yet.  Are they enforcing a minimum board length for the SUP contest?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 07:52:58 AM »
I would say no.  9'0 for sure, and some that looked much shorter.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
It was great event!

Randy-I am sorry I missed you guys. Nate said he met you earlier in the morning (when I had gone back to my car for something), but I looked for you the rest of the day. Glad you scored some waves though!

Val-it was nice to finally meet you! I have not see the footage I took yet, but hopefully I will soon.

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 03:54:51 AM »
What a blast! It was a pleasure to meet you Randy and also Val. Thanks for chilling at the tent with us. We were so stoked to be there. We put up the blue supsurfmag.com tent and just parked it there all day in front of the monk seal and the surf. Bill wrote up a nice article about the event that should be posted soon on the mag site within 24 hours. I was so stoked to be there. I caught a couple bombs, got absolutely hammered in the shorebreak both getting in and out of the water for my last heat. It was definitely worth it. To be out in the lineup with guys like Brian Keaulana, Kai Sallas, Dave Parmenter, Kekoa Uemura, and standupzone member Val, was truly an awesome experience.

I got this series of photos of one the waves that came to me. Thought you might enjoy. This was in a heat later in the day with Parmenter, Kekoa, Kai, and myself. I didn't advance out of this heat but I was sure stoked to have taken 3rd in the heat. Before I made it out to the lineup, I got slammed by the shorebreak. The waves were a solid 5-7' trad. Hawaiian scale, which means a lively entry into the surf. The shorebreak is so strong and steep, you have to time it just right with the ebb of the water so that the rip sucks you into the water, then you have to paddle like mad to get out in the ocean. Well, I thought I had it timed just right. A wave rolled in I jumped on my board, on my knees, and before I knew it, the water receded way faster than I thought and I was standing on dry sand looking up at an overhead shorebreak about to come down on me. I shoved the board into the face of the break, but to no avail, I got royally tumbled and slammed. I was just glad that neither me nor my board was broken. After scrambling to get all my stuff together, I walked down the beach a little further to try it again, and thankfully made it out. Caught three waves in this heat. Here's one of them. This was right at the beginning of the heat. Dave Parmenter was awesome. He was hooting and hollering every time a macking wave came through. His hoot stoked me out even more for this wave. I should do more of the same in the water.

The wind was so strong that you had to take off right at the peak to get in.
No shoulder hopping today.

Down the face with the lip following.

Cutback.

Bottom turn.

Finishing the wave.

When the heat was over, I found myself caught right in the impact zone as the next heat began, which gave me front row seats to bombs ridden by Leleo Kinimaka and then Ikaika Kalama. They were absolutely ripping on a pair of waves bigger than mine for sure. I got the closest view possible of their waves and was royally tumbled by the whitewater that followed. It was so much fun. Can't wait for next year.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 09:31:01 AM »
Nate,
Great shots!  It was nice to meet you.  You have a great looking family.

Bill, yeah, sorry we mised you.  Blame that on our over-excitement.  I love the action of contests, but they get me too amped to do something to sit still.  We will for sure be back for some summer trips, and will meet then.  As we were leaving, I think that was you with Nate doing a video interview with Candice Appleby?  Wanted to stop up and say hey, but you guys looked busy getting an interesting story.

Best, Randy

Byronmaui

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »
Nice pics Nate.

Aloha

Byron

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
Mahalo Byron and Randy.  I was stoked to get some pics, which I rarely get to see.  We sure did get another interview with Candice. She's great. We were getting the scoop on her new board which was the new kid on the block for the contest. We got some sweet shots of the board and another killer interview with her. Give us a day or two to edit it and you can check it out. Randy, be sure to let us know when you're coming over again.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:15:58 PM by Nate Burgoyne »
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
Hah!

Chan and I were just talking about that little board.  It was soooo cool looking.  Can't wait to get the skinny on it.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 05:32:20 PM »
Nate,
Great shots!  It was nice to meet you.  You have a great looking family.

Bill, yeah, sorry we mised you.  Blame that on our over-excitement.  I love the action of contests, but they get me too amped to do something to sit still.  We will for sure be back for some summer trips, and will meet then.  As we were leaving, I think that was you with Nate doing a video interview with Candice Appleby?  Wanted to stop up and say hey, but you guys looked busy getting an interesting story.

Best, Randy

Yep, that was me doing the interview with Candice. Aside from being such a great surfer her SUB was definitely a hot topic on the beach. The advancements in high performance designs are mind blowing and that board from Mike Casey was unlike anything I have seen. More details coming in the interview.

I dont blame you for getting so excited when watching great surfing that you have to surf yourself! I was kind of kicking myself for not entering the contest, but between the fairly expensive entry fee and our mag work I opted out of it. Plus it gave me a chance to take those videos of Nate and da boys ripping!

Anyway, please let us know when you guys come back again. I plan on surfing in the rest of the Steinlager series, perhaps you guys can make for some of those contests?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 08:25:47 AM »
Anyway, please let us know when you guys come back again. I plan on surfing in the rest of the Steinlager series, perhaps you guys can make for some of those contests?

We loved our visit.  We are going to try and get over to check out and the Steinlager events, and definitely want to hit the Makaha dates next year as well (although winter is harder for us).  Love or hate the superferry, it should make short trips with gear waaaayyy easier.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf