Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404683 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #885 on: June 12, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
HM, perhaps we will paddle today (based on rumors from a credible source).

That would be cool. Hope to see you in a couple hours.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 12, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
Today's run started out sort of light but still held promise. Unfortunately, by the time I got to Upper Kanaha, a rain squall had moved over and the wind backed down to near nothing. Plenty of sloppy chop was left over. It was still possible to get some glides but it was not easy, at least for me. Turned into a real workout and by the time I got to the harbor entrance, I felt pretty cooked. A few random gusts started to kick up the last mile or so, but they weren't consistent. Still, it was enough to get a couple of fun surfs going towards the entrance.

Once in the harbor, there was a pretty stiff cross wind, more than what should have been blowing considering the conditions outside. I was pretty relieved to finish but it was probably really good training. I felt like I'd never paddled so much on my right side, which is my weak one.

I've gotten 11 runs in over the past several weeks and met some awesome and generous paddlers who shared their knowledge and stoke. HM has been a great paddling partner and although I missed him today, recovery was a good choice considering the conditions.

It kind of feels like I'm learning how to downwind all over again. Paddling here is challenging and also really incredible. The ocean is just amazingly beautiful and the time I've logged out there ranks as some of the best I've spent doing anything ever. Looking forward to more adventures to come.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #887 on: June 12, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
I almost went but chose to run up the sand dune and swim today (in shallows) to see if I was going to fall apart.  I worked out for over 2 hrs and was fine so I might go tomorrow.  Unfortunately,  Cove, you're leaving back to HR tonight.  Well we'll see you soon.  It was great paddling with you and you really hit some great days.  Try to get back for the race and bring the big guy with you.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 12, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
I'll start working on him when I get back there. Glad you're feeling better - be careful about overdoing it too soon. Looking forward to being back here soon.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #889 on: June 13, 2013, 01:06:28 AM »
^
LPB, I always enjoy your videos. That looks very difficult to keep upright, but you make it seem easy!  Curious, do you do SUP downwinders as well?

Skis have a bad reputation for being difficult.  Like standup, it just takes time.   

I quit the standup and only do ski.  I had lumbar pain for decades.  The ski fixed it.  That's a BIG plus for me.  It's like having a new body.  The higher top hand of single blades used to aggravate my shoulder, not so with the ski.  We only go about eye level.  Very fun boats.
Support your local shaper

CyberSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #890 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
LaPerouseBay - yup, I can vouch that you are a ski guy!! (my Surfski.info handle = Cyberski)

I have left kayak/ski paddling now and will be going strictly SUP...know anyone looking for a brand new Huki S1-XL?????   ;)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #891 on: June 13, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
Cyberski,  I'll ask around.  Those hukis are great boats. 

Some people don't do well with their backs, sitting down (like me) /

I forgot that about you.  But, for anyone that tried outrigger and it hurt their back - skis are different.  Our buckets are designed to allow more freedom of movement.  Our knees bend more.   Our feet do a lot to stabilize the boat.  Like outrigger and standup, the kayak stroke is all about rotation.  But our blades are wings.  So we don't pull next to the boat.  We pull away from it - almost 45 degrees.  The wing creates lift in the forward direction.  They are about 10% more efficient than a flat blade.  It engages the twisting muscles in a nice, fluid manner.     

It completely rebuilt my core muscles below the belly button.  All those complex hip muscles (out back and in front) are engaged and strengthened.  That was my weakness that led to back pain. 

I thought I was in ok shape from outrigger and sup when I first started in a ski.  The seating position was comfy if I sat straight up 90 degrees.  But skis need a slight forward lean, about 10 degrees.  This affects trim, provides leverage and engages all the big muscles better.  The first day I tried to sit forward correctly my diaphragm locked up completely.  I could barely breathe.  That's how jammed up I was.  Now that whole system is rebuilt and better than ever.

Here's a vid of a true expert showing very good form.  Note the leg drive, rotation and fluid motion. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #892 on: June 16, 2013, 12:25:16 AM »
Fun maliko today with Mike and Richard.  Wind was excellent. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 16, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
Nice LPB! When you turn left, the swell size becomes more apparent. There is a spot around there somewhere (upper Kanaha) where it feels like you are sliding down a ski slope. The ocean just seems to go down down down. I don't think it was my imagination, I noticed it nearly every run and if you caught it, you'd get an ultra fast, super long glide.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #894 on: June 16, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »
Father's day and well it was grandfather's day for Victor and me.  His son Shaun joined us along with Bill Hofman.  Bill, Victor and I are all over 60 and it felt cool to be enjoying Maliko as good as it gets.  Long rolling smooth faced troughs without an ounce of crossing.  Seemed like putting greens.   So much fun blazing along with three others in my peripheral vision.  Summer conditions are here. 

Peter from South Africa wrote me that he and some mates are coming over in July.  Pretty cool for these guys to go to the effort to come to the opposite side of the planet to paddle with us.  Young Dylan Flick did very well last year. 

Been using PBill's smaller Maliko blade for the last few weeks but today I returned to the Molokai.  Think I'll go back to the Maliko size.  Like the higher cadence.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #895 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:35 AM »
Just happened on a bike article that described how bigger bikers were grinders at higher gears and lighter weight bikers were high cadence low gear guys... spinners. 

I've always figured that I was on the heavy side when I started SUP but as I slip down farther towards 180, I feel like redefining myself as a spinner...

Smaller blade for sure.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #896 on: June 17, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »

/ There is a spot around there somewhere (upper Kanaha) where it feels like you are sliding down a ski slope. The ocean just seems to go down down down. I don't think it was my imagination, I noticed it nearly every run and if you caught it, you'd get an ultra fast, super long glide.

Thanks for the comment.  I'll elaborate a bit on how that reef works.  I don't think you mean to say that upper kanaha has a 'special spot' that gives better runs.  But the nature of internet posts are easily misunderstood.  I like to keep this thread going to help novices and visitors better understand the ins and outs of maliko. 

You have a good start with a few big wind runs under your belt.  But Raaphorst told me it takes about 50 runs to start to understand maliko.  That held true for me.  Oh, and light wind runs are just as valuable.  Watching how the swells bend on the reef (even if they are small) is important. As is understanding just where the shallow spots are at low tide.     

Ok, back to your comment.  It's not your imagination.  And it's not one spot at upper kanaha.  In that video, the swells I 'let go' (in the first minute) are just as capable of providing that long, long ride.  Some swells may hold more power than others, but as a general rule summer conditions are groomed.  The east swell is consistent.   

Here's the chart of that day's run.  The video took place on the dot.  As you can see, the depth didn't change much (on my line across the reef).  The runs you describe were happening all over the blue section. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
LPB, thanks for posting that! Understanding the bottom topography (bathymetry) and how it affects the surface characteristics is a fascinating subject to me.

I have about 20 Malikos in now. My first description would be that I am feeling more and more humbled each time I paddle it. Maybe after 50 or so runs that will change, but it is an amazingly challenging run to me on so many levels.

Since I got back to the Gorge last week, I've had the chance to do downwinders almost every day, yesterday I even got a double in. But the Viento run in the Gorge is a walk in the park in comparison to Maliko under any conditions, lighter or windier.

As you said, it's more than just one spot out there with the super long glide potential. I just noticed over and over that in the vicinity of where your chart is showing, I would get glides that weren't just long but felt like sliding down a hill and it seemed as if the ocean was just dropping away and down. Very strange and very cool when you're riding it.

I'm really looking forward to continuing to get experience, improve my skills and learn more. As I said, when someone mentions Maliko, the first thing that comes up for me is how humbling the run is for me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Learning from you guys that have so much experience on the open ocean is very cool.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #898 on: June 17, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
Yeah, what constantly astounds me is how different each day is and even when you do a double, how different those two runs can be.  Rarely is it great from start to finish like it was yesterday.  Usually there's at least some part that feels sticky or chopped up.  But all those challenging days really set you up for the great days like yesterday.

Knowing that, just like in life, when things are challenging or fantastic, it's going to change is a great way to approach the different pitches thrown at you.   

Yesterday was a fast ball, right over the plate.  Hmmm looks like today is shaping up as well.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #899 on: June 18, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
Glad you like the charts cove.  IMO, anyone that isn't humbled by maliko... will be.  That's why I'm always rambling on about safety.  I've been a weekend warrior at maliko for 5 years.  If I get some time off work I'll go more often.   

Here's a picture of the end of the run.  I heard some roaring white water behind and just to my left.  My line was probably safe, but who knows.  I always save energy for that section. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]