Author Topic: Looking for high end caribbean resort that offers stand up paddle surfing  (Read 14900 times)

baddog152

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
My wife and I are looking for very nice resort (preferably small/boutique) anywhere in Caribbean that has equipment and offers lessons.  Good scuba would be a plus.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
Hey Baddog, check out Caneel Bay on St. Johns or La Samanna on St. Martin A short plane or boat trip from St.Martin is another island called Saba. There you will find some incredible cliff dives , but take into consideration its for intermediate or advanced certs only as there can be some wicked currents and swell.  Good Luck and have fun! Later, FMS

StandUpVirgin

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Hi baddog,

Caneel Bay Resort is pretty impressive & definitely fits the "boutique" description. I don't think they have boards there yet but I offer lessons & tours on St.John to suit all abilities.

caneelbay.com

http://standup-paddle-stjohn.com/

Also check out my friends on St.Thomas.

supvi.com

Pm me if you'd like more information.

Cheers, SupV.

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »
Hey Baddog, I forgot to mention a few other sick spots . One in particular is Little dix bay on Virgin Gorda in the BVI'S,  ! Also checkout Pinksands on Harbour Island Bahamas. Jamaica has some great places too ,like - Caves, Jakes, and Half Moon Resort.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
There are  many high end resorts scattered throughout the Caribbean, finding one with SUP gear AND lessons might be a challenge.   Many of the Caribbean resorts are only just now realizing what a great sport this is.

You might be better off finding a resort you are interested in, and then finding someone on island who rents SUPs.  SUP rentals on Tortola, Turks & Caicos, Puerto Rico, St.Barts, St.Maarten , Aruba to name a few.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
 Lots of SUP rentals in Cabarete, Dom. Rep. too... Check out Ocean Point at Kite Beach for accommodations: http://www.oceanpointdr.com/
 Also: Method SUP is right across the street from your killer condo. Here's John Holzall's Method SUP Facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Method-SUP/106323892725665?v=wall

Later,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

rachsonata

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stay anywhere on Provo in Turks and Caicos, but don't use the resort for rental, use this adventure company called Big Blue Unlimited on the East side of Provo.  It's owned by these two Brits names Phillip and Mark who are awesome and they host Kalama Kamp whenever it's there.  They will pick you up from your resort and take you paddling.  They have the full Naish lineup including a couple Glide 14s for downwinders.  There's not always surf, but when there is, they'll take you to the right spot and you will be the only surfers out there.  The mainstay of their business is SCUBA, specializing in small groups with personal service and they also provide personalized kiteboarding instruction. 

Trust me, these guys will make sure you have a great time.

www.bigblueunlimited.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Heard nothing but good things about Big Blue Unlimited.

http://www.xgeez.com/2011/01/kalama-kamp/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Mr.413

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stay at Rincon of the Seas-Grand Caribbean Hotel a beautiful boutique hotel in Rincon, Puerto Rico. Get the SUP lessons & rentals @ Coconut Watersports (right on the same beach) or contact Bobby at Mar Azul Surf Shop. Dive at Desecheo Island with the professionals of Taino Divers.

More info:
www.rinconoftheseas.com
www.tainodivers.com
www.puertoricosurfinginfo.com (Mar Azul)

More info about this destination (my home town & playground)
www.rincon.org

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Capcana resort, punta cana, Domincan Republic. One of the nicest placest I have ever seen. It just made AAA's diamond resort list and it is absolutely huge. you will never have to leave the resort. And since its pretty new its relatively uncrowded. There is so much to do on the resort your wife wont even know that your out paddling all day! I have been to just about every island in the caribbean...virgin islands, puerto rico, DR, turks and caicos, and just about every island in the bahamas, all by plane or fishing boat..not cruise ship, and honestly capcana is the nicest resort I have stayed at. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

With the strong windswells around there...between DR and puerto rico, you could probably even do a downwinder.

www.capcana.com
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:09:21 PM by SeargentFL »
Where there is wind, there is a wave

HIHO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for high end caribbean resort that offers stand up paddle surfing
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
Peter Island, Little Dix, Bitter End or Biras Creek in the British Virgin Islands.  Check with us for rental boards: www.go-hiho.com/sup

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for high end caribbean resort that offers stand up paddle surfing
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »
Lamont a fellow zoner is in Punta Cana Dominican Republic and rents sups and does tours.  You can stay inthe resort Finslider mentioned and Lamont can hook you up.  Very Nice guy to deal with.  Maybe he will pipe in on this.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin