Author Topic: What is the vibe in Santa Barbara?  (Read 9281 times)

jwcb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
What is the vibe in Santa Barbara?
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »
I'm considering relocating to the Santa Barbara area. 

I have read some of the posts about SUP vs. surfer conflict in SoCal and elsewhere and was wondering what it was like in SB. 

Are SUPs generally welcome (as long as you surf w/ aloha.)  What are some of the breaks that are SUP friendly and some that SUPs are generally not welcome?  How crowded does it get?  Are there breaks where you can get away from the crowds?  Good break for teaching my 9 & 10 yr old daughters?  What about paddling near the harbor - is it allowed?  PFD regulations enforced when not in surf zone?  Anything else?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What is the vibe in Santa Barbara?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
Paging Wardog! 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
Clearly the Dog is the guy you need to talk to, you might just want to PM him. I've spent a fair amount of time surfing there. It's a fine place, I really like the flavor of the place. If I were going to live in SoCal it would probably be SB.

I never had any grief surfing there, though I'm sure it's possible. I surfed everywhere I could think of, including Rincon, though it was a dinky day. I suspect Rincon might be a bit more hostile on a bigger day, but some of the people who live right in the community with private access to the rivermouth and northern end are avid SUPers and they are well respected, long term local people.

If I were buying a house there it would probably be at Rincon if I could afford one. Be prepared for sticker shock though--the recession probably hasn't affected home prices there one bit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sbsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
SB is a great place to live and surf, if you can handle the home prices. I have lived in SB my entire life. Grew up surfing from Ventura to Hollister Ranch. Now exclusively on SUP. The vibe here is pretty mellow, and SUPs tolerated at most breaks. A great place to SUP and especially teach your kids is  a place called Mondos, between Rincon and Ventura. C street in Ventura is an excellent wave. Just realize most guys in the water hate your guts but I have had no hassles in over two years. Would avoid Rincon on SUP. Gave up prone surfing there 5 years ago. Usually ridiculously crowded, even on lousy days. But oh what a wave. Other great places to SUP include Poles out at UCSB and Deaveraux Point in Isla Vista. Most newbies and lots of kids like to go to Leadbetters in SB. Few places as beautiful as SB.  :)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »
so... I googled "rincon" and here is one of the videos:

video is of course is great but I have a question. around 1:35, is not this a violation of a surf etuquette? of course Kings are more equal than others, but still?

and there is another video:

and at 3:02 - is that is a floater? or floater is another move?

sorry its a bit off topic.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:38:37 AM »
An SB local once told me the town is famous for being designed for the newly wed or the nearly dead, and nothing in between. Seems like a harsh call. I like the place. Hoping to scam a work trip there this year, ideally at the time of the Channel Islands race.

surfnpoppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:53:46 AM »
and at 3:02 - is that is a floater? or floater is another move?

At 2:17 was a "floater"... at 3:02 thats called "it's over" ha ha  ;D

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
An SB local once told me the town is famous for being designed for the newly wed or the nearly dead, and nothing in between. Seems like a harsh call. I like the place. Hoping to scam a work trip there this year, ideally at the time of the Channel Islands race.
Great quote Woody!-i think Dana Point has adopted that phrase as well!-and down by you-isnt that La Jollas-Del Mars phrase also?! :D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »
I went to school there (UCSB)- loved every minute of it (and graduated in four years... imagine that). Lot's of fun places to surf if the swell is right (SB is sheltered from south swells by the Channel Islands) and tons of great spots within an hour's drive.

Shartz (great handle btw) outlined all the spots and gave you some valuable info about Rincon and C-street. I'd heed his advice on Con no need to push the envelope of sup acceptability there- some spots should be left alone.

Lots of great food, bike paths and hiking trails (check out the new Baron Ranch trail)- tons of stuff to do around there. Check out the Gaviota coast- lots of paddle-in potential for spots that are difficult to get to.

One downer, and this is easily remedied by driving forty minutes south or an hour north, is it is a fickle surf town. I live in San Diego and there are way more surfable days here than there and the drive to get to other spots is much quicker here. San Diego is just way more exposed than SB.

I'll be there for a few days next week and will post photos on my site. Good luck- you really can't go wrong with SB. Go Gauchos.

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »

video is of course is great but I have a question. around 1:35, is not this a violation of a surf etuquette? of course Kings are more equal than others, but still?

Total etiquette breach...he not only dropped in but practically knocked the guy off his board.  Personally, I'd love to be able to say "Kelly Slater dropped in on me".

Sbsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
John, didn't realize you went to UCSB. I did the opposite and went to UCSD, many, many moons ago. Would have loved to SUP there back then. Highly recommend John's site at paddlesurf.net. Lots of great info and just lots of fun. Because of you I decided to get a custom Stamps Ninja. 9'2" 29 wide. Had it now close to a year and absolutely love it. Been perfect for SB and Ventura breaks. Antsy to order a new board from Tim. Love the look of your 8'5" Reaper.  Let me know what days you are going to be surfing SB. I am off weds afternoon and planning to sup Pitas or C Street depending on conditions.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »

I LOVE Santa Barbara!!!!
It takes a quiver to do that.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »
@surfnpoppy, yes of course 3:02 is my typo  ;D
meant to type 2:32-2:33,

and 2:17, its more like 2:18-2:19, just over the top of the lip, correct?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:28:46 PM by alap »

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 05:20:44 PM »
Right on Shartz! I'll be surfing Ventura (you know the range of spots) Tuesday morning- eating a jalapeno crusted porkchop at Holdren's that night- then probably surfing Wednesday morning either Hobsons or maybe Pitas. You're totally welcome to try out the 8'6 GR. Gonna jam up to Monterey for a couple of days (checking the "J" on the way) and then back in town again for Fri./Sat./Sunday morning. Email me: john@paddlesurf.net if you want to surf one of those days.

Back to the topic: SB Rules... try La Super Rica on Milpas.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 06:57:18 AM »
Paging Wardog! 

Ola amigo...just back from Mex...

Simply exhibit situational awareness, stoke, and aloha and you'll be fine no matter where you paddlesurf...
There are several good breaks for teaching your daughters...
The fine folks at SB Harbor Patrol allow paddling in the harbor with PFD's...we wear the fanny pack style inflatable from Hobie...
You can usually find an uncrowded peak by paddling up or down the coast...I won't draw maps, name names, or generally even take pics to give away several that I still have yet to paddlesurf with anyone else...even the guys that work for me at the shop haven't tasted a couple of them...;-)

Cost of living is still fairly high...even excluding the over $4 gallon gas...the highest in the country...but, just bust into your kid's piggy banks and you'll be fine...;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?