Author Topic: Mulligan  (Read 9239 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Mulligan
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »
Spring break is in full effect on Maui!

The complete stoke of a months worth of great waves (and relatively peaceful coexistance) has given way to some pretty insane kooking.  A few days back, we got to witness a first for us.  A complete "assing".  Yup, a very excited stand up paddler pulled as hard as he could to get in right next to (and on the shoulder of) a laydown guy...so close in fact that he didn't leave room for his paddle in between them.  Balance was lost, and an ample ass landed on a surprised head.  Thought we might need a crowbar for an extraction. 

Also, the Mulligan seems to have been borrowed from golf by a few rogue SUP'ers.  This is great!  Now, if a wave is missed, no need to wait it out.  Just go again.   :o  ???

???
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:14:37 AM by Admin »

Byronmaui

Re: Mulligan
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »
Funny you mention this because on Saturday I decided to go with my son out to Kanaha at dawn. Arrived at 6:30 am and hit the water. Within 20 minutes there were at least 10 SUP guys and 1 prone surfer. My friend the prone surfer was laughing because it looked like the SUP guys were sharks circling him. Poor guy had no chance with catching waves and luckily he has a good attitude. A couiple of SUP guy's in particular were chasing every wave no matter if they were not in the correct position or order in the lineup. Luckily no one got hurt. This morning was totally classic. I caught my waves and then decided to head home when another friend of mine who is a prone surfer entered the lineup. It was fun but hopefully this summer does not get to aggro.

Aloha

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
2/3 of lineup is line.  Gets forgotten sometimes.   :-\

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
I was out Saturday early at Kanaha too... was alot of fun early. Moved down to the inside rights and had it mostly by myself for awhile. Then these 2 guys came out, happy chattering kinda guys. Overheard the one say "Man I cant wait to get out when its double overhead  out here... Ok... so I kinda think maybe they have an idea what they're doing. I catch a decent clean set wave and one of them totally drops me down the line on the shoulder. I'm thinking ok dude just turn and get either off the wave or at least go down the line and we'll share... He went absolutly straight.. I kinda hung back waiting, got kinda close and he still just went straight... I thought for a minute he was just being a "dxxk" but after watching him on a couple more waves, he just did not know how to turn...at all...  Frightening to think they think they can handle big Kanaha.... although for sure one of the more mellow big waves, it still can give ya some dirty lickings.

oh well

Byronmaui

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Noworries I missed those guys. I think I saw you paddling out to the left when I was heading in.

Aloha

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
I was out Saturday early at Kanaha too... was alot of fun early. Moved down to the inside rights and had it mostly by myself for awhile. Then these 2 guys came out, happy chattering kinda guys. Overheard the one say "Man I cant wait to get out when its double overhead  out here... Ok... so I kinda think maybe they have an idea what they're doing. I catch a decent clean set wave and one of them totally drops me down the line on the shoulder. I'm thinking ok dude just turn and get either off the wave or at least go down the line and we'll share... He went absolutly straight.. I kinda hung back waiting, got kinda close and he still just went straight... I thought for a minute he was just being a "dxxk" but after watching him on a couple more waves, he just did not know how to turn...at all...  Frightening to think they think they can handle big Kanaha.... although for sure one of the more mellow big waves, it still can give ya some dirty lickings.

We also got to witness a man who paddled in from the Aleutians.  Had to be 120 strokes.  He was a mere speck on the horizon when he started making his move.  At first some thought superferry, others a disoriented whale...but...then all came clear.  When he finally got to the lineup, he actually hooted another guy out!  First guy riding and all.  

???

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »
At least you didn’t get assed.  :-* I had a good chuckle with a longboarder friend (and harsh SUP critic) while out in the lineup over the weekend.   He was kind, and put the best possible spin on it, “they are just excited”.

"You don’t know what I’ve seen."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:02:03 PM by Chan »

Byronmaui

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
I witnessed this guy paddling out leave his wife in the dust. Husband was anxious to beat her to the lineup....lol...I wonder who that was...jk

Aloha

Byron

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »
He's old.  I have to give myself a five minute handicap. He only sits deep because he is too old and lazy to paddle. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »
I just realized that because I have stayed out of any lineups I'm not really sure of the etiquette. Is it really any more complicated than catch a wave and then go to the end of the line? On the occasions where I did mix in with others (at Kanaha as it so happens)  there were only a few out and plenty of waves for all. I'd let more experienced folks take the big ones and I'd jump on the smaller (still big by my standards).

I may have been guilty of mulligans. Not sure it mattered given the lack of a crowd but it wasn't uncommon to miss one and then get the next. I'll have to be more aware.

It's definitely nice to surf and laugh with friends but I think I'll avoid the crowds for a long time.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
I am TOTALLY guilty of mulligans. When you miss one wave it usually leaves you exactly where you need to be to get the next one and in a pretty challenging position to get over the next one if it happens to be good sized. I like to think I'm only taking waves other people don't want, but I find other folks in the waves with me more often than I like to admit. My head only turns about 30 degrees each way so I'm frequently and easily surprised.

I make it a point to tell prone surfers NOT to drop a wave because I'm in it--I'll do whatever's necessary to get out of their way, including sitting on the tail. When I'm on the inside it's easy--everyone is faster down the line than me. What doesn't work well is when I take off and suddenly find a surfer righteously on the inside of me--usually I spot them when the nose of their board is within a foot of mine. Clearly their wave and all that, but I usually can't run down the line fast enough to stay out of their way, and bailing out the back is still an iffy proposition for moi, as likely to result in an unmanned board as anything else.

I tried moving away from all the other surfers, but it doesn't help much at Kanaha. You move fifty yards down to the right and all it means is that folks will be trimmed in and really hooking it when they encounter me lumbering along. My current solution is going left most of the time. Of course I nearly mowed down Chan today when she suddenly appeared off the port bow of the USS ClumsyBastard (AS61).

I either need radar or some mirrors. Oh, well, I get a little better every day (I keep telling myself) and seem to be less of a hazard as a result. At least I get to watch the people who REALLY piss everyone off and make little mental notes like "starting on wave from Aleutians=bad" (which get all wet and hard to read). I generally try to act as outraged by bad behavior as everyone else, but I'm usually telling myself not to do that quite so much anymore.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »
Thot I should clarify that head thing--my orthopedist calls me a triumph of stupidity over reality, which leads me to two questions--1. Am I paying this guy so he can channel Henny Youngman?  2. If you have your own orthopedist, isn't the stupidity part kind of obvious?

Actually he's a nice guy, but he thinks it's time I took up golf. I'm saving that for when I get old.

I have good range of motion for a 97 year old guy, but I'm 61. I think when (and if) I reach 97 I'll be frozen in place like a cigar store Indian. They could probably put me in Bodyworks without doing anything. The problem is my foolish youth, when I thought I could do anything and never worried about the repercussions when i got older (probably because a lot of the people I knew never did). So big areas of me don't tan, and nothing really works 100 percent. well actually I overstated that, my left little finger is pretty supple. The right one was broken at the top joint and hooks to the left.

Two words: Motorcycle Racing.

So if i seize up on a board some day, just give me a push towards the shore.

All this whining is in reaction to the simple fact that i can't raise my arms tonight. Must have overdone it today. i'm counting the minutes until I can take another advil.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:44:16 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
This past weekend was intresting to see reactions of prone guys up here in the northeast. The water is in the thirties so people get testy. Shortboarders get all pissed at longboarders and so on. My friend and I were out on our sup's at a spot that I have surfed since I was 12. We were being very gracious telling them when sets were coming and which ones to take. Just a few snide comments, but overall nobody had too much to say. There was one longboarder who repeatedly paddled around the local shortboard contingent acting oblivious. This didn't go over too well and he was given a whole lot of stinkeye. He would also place himself puposely inside of me on some takeoffs. The old box out paddle in front of manuever. I gave him the aim at and spray on a takeoff on a large set wave and he looked like a deer in the headlights and ceased trying to pull that again. Overall three sessions at this spot on sunday 6 hours in the water and not even a chill. I won't be on my shortboard unless it's windy and at least DOH. ;D

trytryagain

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
aloha all, new here, just thought id drop a thought...i was out SUPin' a couple of days ago at a popular spot here.   it was fairly crowded, maybe 8 SUPs and 8-9 surfers along with an instructor and half a dozen students.  im pretty new so i tend to hang back and try and let all the seniors get theirs and then fend for leftovers, and im VERY conscious of my status in the water and the fact that many prone surfers dont dig SUPs so i try and let LOTS of waves go before i try and get one for myself.  anyway, while i was hangin out and feelin out the current social dynamics i noticed there was a lone guy (SUPin'), a bit older (than me at 45 anyway), WAY WAY outside, on a battleship, snagging every, and i mean EVERY wave that came by, paddling back out and doin it again and again.  he cut me off twice, not to mention everyone else several times.  he had been out before i arrived so i can only imagine how everybody else felt.  it made me hyper aware of what i was doing so i was even more passive than normal.  anyway, nobody squawked--i would have but didnt feel "rank" enough for it to be my place to do so(although it is in my nature to speak and defend my mind in general--eventually im sure ill open my mind...).  i gave him a look of frustration the second time he cut me off--as he shot passed me he said something about "sharing the wave"...
  about 45 minute later he falls off a wave, and the rest of the set takes his board(no leash) and paddle all the way to the beach.  normally, id try and grab stuff and help a guy out--then i thought: " karmas' a bitch", as i and everyone else, watched him swim in! ;D  he paddled back out but split not long after--i think the swim wore him out.  what goes around comes around.
  regarding mulligans, i have used them--mostly last ditch in a usually failed attempt to keep from getting hammered.  the vast majority of the time i paddle  in and around to the end of the line where i belong--even just turning around and paddling right back out is soooo uncool--ive got to be able to look my fellow surfers in the eyes and also sleep with myself at night.
  on a positive note i caught my best wave ever today--i was waiting for one last one to take me in, stroked into it, picked a clean line, got lucky and executed solid little bottom turn, stalled a second waiting for the wave, climbed up the face a bit, and got shot like a rocket down and across (like i knew what i was doin out there ;D, rode it till pau and grinned ear to ear on my paddle in to shore. 

kurtr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »
Hey, trytryagain -- welcome to the forum!

Do you have a surfing background?  Sounds like you have a good feel for how to fit in.

Congratulations on the wave!  I know exactly how you feel.  I used to prone surf in the 60s and 70s, but now I'm sort of a beginner again learning to SUP surf.  At this level, it seems like almost every day is your best day and almost every wave has the potential to be your best ever.  I'm so stoked I can't believe it!

Kurt   

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]