Author Topic: SUP Conflict in Hilo  (Read 52085 times)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: SUP Conflict in Hilo
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
haha-thought you would like that one PDX-actually out here in California i think that line could be modified-just swap "Steers" with " Wanna be screenwriter-MMA fighter-Rusty Ad Exec".
All in fun my friend- i will be seeing my share of Texas soon as my son goes to Air Force boot camp at Lakland AFB soon.!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2011, 09:17:10 PM »
I'm saddened by the fact that there is more talk here than on the other site.

IMHO, these guys are gutless in that they set up the site yet will not respond to serious questions or put up suggestions for solutions ... It seems it's more a collective "rah rah" site than anyting that is intended to have a open minded outcome and thats pathetic.

My feeling is its going to be a lynch mob mentality and nothing positive will be accomplished for lack of information exchange at the meeting.

Punipaka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
I'm saddened by the fact that there is more talk here than on the other site.

IMHO, these guys are gutless in that they set up the site yet will not respond to serious questions or put up suggestions for solutions ... It seems it's more a collective "rah rah" site than anyting that is intended to have a open minded outcome and thats pathetic.

My feeling is its going to be a lynch mob mentality and nothing positive will be accomplished for lack of information exchange at the meeting.

Unfortunately Stan, I think you are right.  From the tone of the fb page, "they" want "us" to admit that "we" are problem so they can justify their preferred solution, which ARE definitely going to include a ban and/or restrictions.   

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »
Humblest apologies Punipaka for my big mouth.

I know the 'agenda' of the Facebook players and it just does not sit right with me, hence my posts.

aloha.

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »
Question please. Just logged on to the site to see any new comments. Sorry guys, facebook newbe here. Am I missing something or are all the comments, suggestions and questions from about Jan 29th on removed from the Facebook site ?

Please tell me how facebook works.  Why can I not find other stuff from the past couple days ?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »
When I hear about someone looking to ban a specific kind of board or surf craft, I often think of this guy. Of course I also think of him when I just need to harden the F@*&K up.

Tell someone like him he can't go because he doesn't surf what they surf. After all, he's just a goat boater.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
Nice video bill! Tough to watch, but I couldn't stop. We are all visitors in the ocean, otherwise we would have gills.  ;)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »
When I hear about someone looking to ban a specific kind of board or surf craft, I often think of this guy.
That's a great video. 

I hate bans, and trying to solve problems with regulations.  They almost always backfire.  They are written to address whatever problem in in people's minds, but people don't understand all the ramifications.

As an example (sorry to leave surfing, but I know more about this one) Portland has extensive regulations aimed at preventing badly designed buildings.  But the same regulations make it more and more difficult to design good ones.  Many of the best-loved buildings here would be impossible to get approval for today.  Portland regularly creates restrictions on courtyard housing, pedestrian-oriented buildings, accessible buildings, energy efficiency, houses that are compatible with their neighbors, affordable housing and all kinds of other examples of good design because the regulators have no idea of the consequences of what they're doing.  I'm working on a project where the city has messed up the zoning rules so badly that adding a bay window to a private house will literally take City Council approval, and exactly the same approval process for a $500 project that it takes for a $300 million dollar new bridge across the river. 

The problem is that the bad impacts don't become apparent until after the regulations take force.   SUP bans may sound great to some people, but I guarantee that among the people hurt by any bans will be people who support them now, in ways they'll have no clue about until it's too late. 

The guy in the video is exactly the type of person who'll get hurt. 

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »
All new comments removed so:

Lets start over with my suggestions.
Apologies Sonny if we have to go back and forth all over again. Promise to cut to the chase and leave out the drama, bickering stuff so please fire back at me. Mahalos.

IMHO, H = humble  I think the county boys in Red and Yellow could, should take or be given a little more control and :

1. Warn the offenders.

2. Warn again

3. Pull them out.  Be fair ( AND UNBIASED ) but firm.

3A. Can't believe I'm saying this but give the offenders a time out for a few minutes and talk to them about what they are doing wrong. If they know it all or don't want to listen they can go home.

4. Not for this one but could be like traffic laws. Repeat offenders get fined.

Either way, this whole thing could start Thursday morning if most? everyone agreed on it and it would be a done deal after that. No more meetings or banning of anything.

This could be an easy, fluidly adaptable solution that I think everyone could agree on.

1. The guys are already there.
2. They know the scene and its players.
3. They know and understand safety surf dynamics better than most.
4. Did I say they are already there ?

I know whats coming. So what if need rescue or now taking eyes off the water.
Put another guy there on the crazy days and have John K. re-train the guys to the new reality.  Have a guy out at Bayfront fo said crazy days as well.

Maybe the Coast Guard can spring for the new tower right there at the landing eh Stan ?!

# 1. Other Question for Stan L.  Was if the Coast Guard was going to be there to truely, definatively define SUP regs for us ???

# 2 was asking for BISSA's suggestions as per this site's for SUPs in liu of merely taking about them with what to the outsider looking in, appears to be a one sided, hate based, attempt to railroad SUPs out of the water sans aloha. More pono to get stuff out now so everyone has a chance to contemplate things from the other side of the fence PRIOR to stepping in the octagon on Wednesday.

P.S. If this comes back off I truely believe I am being censored and there is not hope for 'discussion' with these guys. O2 / 06 / 2011 10:00pm

Sonny and I had a sophmoric pissing match back and forth but I hope he gets his comments back up as they were the only other worth while posts that people could draw info from. I hope all you guys read everything prior to it being taken down.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »
Stan, If you're talking about the lifeguards I don't think they want the responsibility. They have a job to do, and it isn't nannying. Sorry to put it so blunt, but their job is to look for and save people from drowning. No way they can manage a lineup of people dropping in on each other. That would be a distraction...if you were talking about someone else, then forget what I said. :-)

highlander51

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
Bill, thanks for that video.
I to suffer from a neuro-muscular disease that no longer allows me to surf prone. Thankfully, I found standup and can surf and paddle ok. I have some balance issues but do fine. There are two other guys who have limiting disabilities that surf with me at Malibu that you might remember,    Wayne Roland and Vince Klyn. We have heard all the hate and talk of banning sup you can imagin, and thankfully we have been able to continue surfing there.
Wayne and I started surfing Malibu in 1962 and the thought that someone could come along and say your not welcome to surf here anymore because your on a standup would be hard to bear. That said, I do understand somtime when there's a good swell, the sup's and the prone surfers are not a good mix out at the point.  People have got to use their head in these situations, be considerate and polite.  Watching the man in that video struggle to be free and do it over and over again,   humbles me.  Rather than worry about what he rides to surf, I would like to know this man.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:27:35 AM by highlander51 »

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
 Thanks Taughtologies,

I hear ya' but having done a little nannying myself, I can say you got eyes out there and can see the patterns of the chronic offenders. A little warning will tone them down and ease things up and not pull from your std. duties.

It seems its human nature to avoid responsibilty.  If there is some static out in the lineup that IS a potential danger to others then job of lessening or elminating the risk of injury has to be done.  Like it or not.

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »
Sorry to bump this well-worn thread but it appears that this story is getting significant attention in Hilo.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/

Rockbottom

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2011, 09:32:18 AM »
Socalsupper....    Congratulations on having a son in the Air Force!  I went through Lackland back in '89, great experience!   When he's getting chewed out for making a mistake, and he will, tell him to say,"I made a mental error", and to NEVER EVER roll his eyes upwards.   I think the hardest part is folding t-shirts into perfect 6" squares.
    Now will the wind die down so I can go paddle!

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »
From the story:
Mayor Billy Kenoi was there for the start of the meeting, and suggested that the next time the two sides get together, it should be at the beach and not in a conference room.

Well put, sir.

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 09:09:49 AM
Hdip
Today at 08:49:33 AM