Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
EDIT: Just notice how old this is lol - hey how did it go?  You should have a new one and be back to paddling ;)       57 - had left knee in at 51 in 2018 as a half-knee - works really well - it was a  pretty slow rehab, like 3 months and still not 100% motion - I didn't kneel on it again for a year. The right knee was the better of the two at the time - it wasn't great then either as my x-ray shows. I'm seeing docs again next week - after last week I mentioned I'd like a half knee again. Since I moved to civilization I'm put into a body-parts-mill (Center For Excellence) and it seems to take more visits to get through the system - last weeks doc couldn't talk about a half knee option so back again next week. Anyway - my half knee works pretty well and I can get a full knee later if this half-swap fails. However - there is quite a bit of pain off and on with the half-knee. Standing for long hurts the lower leg, getting moving after sitting hurts - often it's a wash whether I have more pain from the old/worn knee vs the new one - the lower plate might be a little small for me/my weight - I'd feel pretty skinny (and look ok  too lol) at 225 - I'm solid/heavy-built and overweight at 285 now - this impacts how your knees feel, faux or otherwise.  What I'm saying is you should be able to do what you want but it may not be like you are 20 or anything - just functional and hurting vs not-functional and hurting. My new left 1/2 knee works well, sometimes it hurts but nothing I can't tolerate. I can kneel on my board and both knees hurt :D . Currently my right inner knee is pretty much in constant pain and getting noisier by the week. Looking forward to the fix on that crunchy thing whether full or 1/2.
Classifieds / Re: WTB: Kalama E3 Wing Board - 131 ltr or 141 ltr
« Last post by Canadian_foiler on Today at 07:32:24 AM »
Bumping this up as I have still not found one. I did send a PM to those above.
Random / Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
« Last post by Admin on Today at 06:28:50 AM »
If you watch this video, at the end, Frieberg explains how Google is going to cash in on Alpha fold 3.

Google is selling a program the researchers use. Proprietary software.  Big money. 

https://youtu.be/nSM0xd8xHUM?si=RVmZdHr1kAEyPn4u&t=5382

I recently visited with my brother who is working on a new therapeutics project.  He was showing me some examples of the modifications that he is working with in Alpha fold and let me play with it a little bit, even though aimlessly. I honestly had no idea what he was doing, but he would explain it to me like I did. I asked him how long it would take a human to work through these kind of tasks, and he said that for some of it, there's no amount of time. It couldn't be done before this.

The really cool part is that the few hundred thousand people worldwide (guess) who know what questions to ask and are working actively on these problems are all using this one piece of software, and they are training each other. That makes me very hopeful for some remarkable products coming our way.
« Last post by LaPerouseBay on May 30, 2024, 03:30:44 PM »
Rendering will be handled by a big server farm.

Elon is building a giga server, Amazon, google, Meta, Apple, all racing for market share of a gigantic pie.   

If you have a look at the Blackmagic design page, scroll down and watch the "latest videos" "NAB 2024 update"
I think it's in there somewhere, the new websites Blackmagic sells, to allow users/creators to set up teams.
They invite members, contribute and share the licensing fee. 

Blackmagic runs the software.

That's how big construction jobs are run. 
Contractors pay a fee to access specialized software, allowing them to set up teams.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/

If you watch this video, at the end, Frieberg explains how Google is going to cash in on Alpha fold 3.

Google is selling a program the researchers use. Proprietary software.  Big money. 

https://youtu.be/nSM0xd8xHUM?si=RVmZdHr1kAEyPn4u&t=5382
General Discussion / Re: Moving
« Last post by deepmud on May 30, 2024, 11:35:11 AM »
awesome! I love lake union. My uncle has a place in Seattle and while visiting a few years back I was able to take my inflatable down by where the freeway goes over the lake - it was beautiful. Getting to meet and paddle with people will be a big plus for moving from Alaska I hope. I'm learning this local river - there are some surprisingly wilderness areas here that totally accessible - I just need to understand the tides to make it "easy" :D I did a run down a slough that put me out on the river to paddle up against the current - it was rough :D even with wind at my back!.... but when I catch the tides right I can go waaaaaay upstream with little to no current - or even reversed current. I'd love to share this area with anyone interested as well. The town is pretty tiny, everything closes at 6 lol but there is a BnB and a nice nearby campground or two (besides the usual campground "gravel lots" people "camp" in - those too ugh).
« Last post by Dusk Patrol on May 30, 2024, 11:25:08 AM »
Cool situation. Looks like your preserving your quality of life... And welcome to Washington. If you ever want an urban Lake Union paddle field trip let me know.   
« Last post by deepmud on May 30, 2024, 11:16:44 AM »
Moved. Got a house and paying taxes so that makes me Washintonian I guess. We started looking at houses all over - Ocean Shores has 15 miles of canals, Shelton/Olympia looks really nice - I really wanted waterfront - but - we also wanted to be near my mom as she is in her late 70s. Sort of found a house I didn't really think I could afford here in Montesano - but it's so nice, up on a hill, really great view, lots of windows, 2-car garage space and an unfinished basement where I could move mom in if things go that way someday. So far she's just happy I'm close - like 2 minutes up the hill. She went out and bought an e-bike and rides up now with her dog on her back :D . Pretty fun. So I paddle the Chehalis and a local lake for exercise. I need to get out on Puget Sound still. As an Alaskan - it feels like winter never quite happened. There was couple days of snow but it melted. It mostly felt like August to October :D . I paddled in temps down to the 30's - my drysuit is super comfy here. I'm not quite balanced in work/life since going remote - I tend to work a bit long and miss out on the frequent paddles I used to do back home despite the river being about as close as the lakes I used to paddle. I'm trying to get my wife to deal with the $1000 plus I want to blow on an Immersed Visor for VR for work - she hates when I spend my own money for work stuff :D too much like my days as a mechanic? I had an $8k toolbox and about $25k in tools back then.  Anyway - I'm still paddling the Joe Bark a lot - it's still the favorite. I've beat the crap out of the basalt/innegra bottom paddling the rivers - that turned out to be great stuff.
« Last post by clay on May 29, 2024, 06:19:51 PM »
As far as AI replacing hollywood or being able to crank out full length movies, what is the explanation for the hardware/render times or abilities?  I could understand AI replacing visual artists who animate frame by frame in maya or whatever, but how can AI replace entire render farms and all the processing power it takes to render video?
Classifieds / Re: SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
« Last post by addapost on May 29, 2024, 01:19:47 PM »
Sale Pending...
Classifieds / Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
« Last post by kliss99 on May 29, 2024, 11:48:53 AM »
SOLD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal