Author Topic: surf SUP volume  (Read 4865 times)

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
surf SUP volume
« on: March 21, 2024, 05:56:32 PM »

I'm looking for input on surf SUP volume. I weigh 215 pounds and am 6 feet tall. I have surfed a 10' x 32" and 152 liters board for years now and have had a blast. I have the opportunity to get a slightly shrunken down version of the same board at 9'6' x 31" and 131 liters.

Hoping to hear any thoughts on how significant that drop in volume may be and what the challenges may be. I'm not a great surfer but I catch a lot of waves here on the north coast of PR.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: surf SUP volume
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 07:30:35 PM »
Your guild factor will drop from 1.55 to 1.34 which is nice for getting the rail into the wave. Your board aspect ratio will drop from 3.75 to 3.68 meaning a minor decrease in paddling efficiency for the shape.

In my experience the volume matters less than the shape changes for stability (within reason). Your volume reduction and length/width reduction should give you less efficient paddling and wave catching but you will enjoy the on wave feel since it's the same shape. I'd say that since you are keeping the same shape, just slightly shrunken, you're looking at a really good next step in your progression.

In contrast to what I'm about to experience:
I'm on a 9'2"x30"126l which is a 1.43 guild factor. My new board is planned to be the same shape, but 9'x28" and 115l which is a 1.31 guild factor for better on wave performance. My aspect ratio will increase from 3.67 to 3.86 meaning slightly better paddling efficiency for the shape. I expect to have excellent on wave performance but will be sacrificing some stability by going 2 inches narrower.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:43:31 PM »
I agree with B-walnut, should be a nice next step progression board.  A guild factor of 1.5 is a really fun size in my experience.  A guild factor of 1.3 is a nice factor to end on.  Advanced surfers typically fall in the 1.3 - 1.8 range.
https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/blogs/news/sup-board-volume-recommendation-chart/
9'6" ist still a good length that maintains glide.  Having an inch narrower will have less drag, so help maintain glide.  I think you will enjoy this board when the conditions are clean.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 12:01:36 PM »
Thanks to you both.

B-Walnut, you answered a question that I did not know that I had regarding the relative impacts of changing shape versus changing volume. Your take on shape is interesting.

I don't have many other references but I really like the shape of the 10' Bill Foote Triton that I have. He seems to have taken the "fat" out of the rails. I am sure I could find a different great board that is shorter and stay closer to the 152L range. But am guessing that could mean fatter rails (or a boxier feel)?

The other board on my radar is a custom L41 Bruce Wayne at 140-plus liters or so. Have heard nothing but good things about L41s so probably can't go wrong there. But there is something about that stepped down Foote that is calling me.

First-world problem for sure  ;D

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 01:50:39 PM »
I think everyones objective of what and how they want to ride is a little different and I've found that using as many numbers/data points as possible really helps me to get some basic evaluations on boards. I would agree with your assessment of shorter but same volume assessment, something has to get fatter somewhere...

I learned on a Starboard Blend Element, 9'8"x30" 147l

Next picked up a Quatro Carve Pro 8'2"x29" 120l. While I LOVED this board on perfect glassy days I found that I disliked feeling unsure about which board to grab. I just want a single board and when it was rough out I couldn't manage this board in wind and chop due to the shape change.

Next was my Kalama, which is my current, 9'2"x30" 126l which helped me realize that while all my friends are chasing shorter boards, that's not what I desire. I want to hog ALL the waves. I want to catch everything from knee high to slightly overhead. This shape does it for me.

I demo'd a bunch of boards since I got the Kalama, including the smaller kalama, and the NSP DC Super X caught my attention on a demo day. Domed deck and 28" wide made for a very fun experience on the wave. I also had less issue balancing on it than expected. However, I've never actually seen it for sale anywhere. It's always sold out.

So, now I'm looking at the Sunova Casey Revolution. 9'x28" 115l. Domed deck and apparently aggressively shaped rails since they built this board off of an actual surf longboard. I'm a bit concerned about the stability on it since I have heard it floats a bit different with the narrow rails and I can't get a demo for it. However, I think I'll splurge on it with fingers crossed that it all works out.

You're right, first world problems!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 02:31:12 AM »
Bill Foote's 10'4" Triton is a surprising board. Whatever else you get, hang onto that thing. As big as it is, it turns amazingly well--it's the easiest big board I've ever used--surfs well, paddles fast, and catches anything. I have no theory as to why it works so well other than the somewhat strange rails which seem to have more rocker than the rest of the board. I bought one and shipped it to my brother because I knew it would be great for him (it was, and still is), I bought another for myself, and then years later, when mine was beat to shit I found a used one in good shape and snapped it up. It's still my goto board.

I'm also a big fan of the L41s. I had an 8'8" that I loved--especially for the speed.  Mine seemed almost as fast as a foil board.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 02:37:16 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 04:05:35 AM »
Hey PonoBill,

It is my understanding that Bill Foote is taking orders for production 10'x32" Tritons and 9'6"x31" Tritons. He reached out to me via social media under a profile of "William Foote." I was leery about a hacker at first but it seems legit given the information he has provided under that account and his "Bill Foote" account. I plan to make a deposit on a 9'6" this weekend for summer delivery from LAX.

I very nearly ordered an L41 Bruce Wayne model before Bill reached out. Of course I won't know whether going with the new Foote is the "better" choice. But given that none of us are getting any younger the possibility of getting a hold of another board from Bill is hard to pass up. I had been halfway hounding him for a custom of roughly the same size (with a little more volume than 131L) in recent years but we just never made it happen. If good fortune holds, I'll treat myself to the L41 sometime down the road.

It was your review of the 10'4"x34" Triton that led me to Foote about a decade ago. I went with the 10'x 32" and I love that board. It is still in regular service and is essentially a one-board quiver for me. I do have an even older Naish 11'6" single fin that I take out from time to time. I will also never let go of that board.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 04:37:02 AM by Flying Walrus »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 09:13:48 AM »
I've ridden both 10'X32 and 9'6"X31" and liked them both. My balance has declined a bit and I had some issues with the 9'6" but the 10' was fine. The 10'4" surfs so well and is so easy to use that I'm just kind of addicted to it. I have a 9' Foote custom that is also surprising. It's a great board, surfs and turns great, not quite the "one board quiver" the production boards are, but it's great. I don't know what the "William Foote" thing is about, he probably couldn't get Bill as a Facebook name, but yes, it's him or an incredibly ambitious scammer.

I don't surf much anymore, I'm basically a foil addict, but my brother Bob was here for two weeks and it revived my interest. I'm going to get out on both boards and see how quickly it comes back. I don't get enough exercise foiling, especially since I'm mostly winging, and I miss the glide. When I was learning foil surfing I found SUP surfing really screwed up my progress, but I think that issue is over with.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 08:00:58 AM »
 I've found that I have a "go to" volume regardless of the shape or dimensions. I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs and my sweet spot is around 130 to 135 liters. I have ridden boards simlar to the size and shape of my current boards with a volume 145 and found them unstable and corky. When I go below 130 ltrs I have problems catching waves because I lose stability and paddle power. Some of my surf buddies also get all their boards in their go to volume.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 02:51:20 PM »
It is my understanding that Bill Foote is taking orders for production 10'x32" Tritons and 9'6"x31" Tritons. He reached out to me via social media under a profile of "William Foote." I was leery about a hacker at first but it seems legit given the information he has provided under that account and his "Bill Foote" account. I plan to make a deposit on a 9'6" this weekend for summer delivery from LAX.

Yes, that's Bill. I called him and mentioned the zone had this thread going and that it sounded like a scam.  He said he will try to post here and clear it up.  It sounds like he wanted to keep it simple with the Facebook accounts, but it didn't work out.   Maybe one of you Facebook users could suggest some tips to clear up the misunderstanding on his other Facebook pages -the page google sent me to said he's retired. 

Maybe if you post to it, it will ping him and then he can respond with the new link to "William Foote"

https://www.facebook.com/footemaui/

He sounds great, he's in VA now.  He was on Oahu for two years, as of two months ago.  He's hoping to move back to CA to be closer to his grandkids.  He's not digging the cold weather.  He had some heart issues that took him out of the surf, but he's feeling stronger now.  That dude is a beast, I'll bet he's back surfing in a year.     
Support your local shaper

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 03:09:02 PM »
Thanks LaPerouseBay,

Not sure why I was so unsure. But a few Facebook friends have been hacked or cloned or whatever in recent years. Pretty wild what they can do piecing together profiles from the stuff we readily share.

Glad to know Bill is doing well.

Looking forward to getting that 9'6". The drop to 131 liters will probably present some challenges. I'm either up for it or one my sons is going to inherit a nice ride even before I go.  ;D

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 04:54:32 PM »
At 210 pounds these days, I am super comfortable on Jimmy Lewis HP 9x29x120l. This is now my one board quiver (too many foil boards aside  ;)) for anything from waste to overhead. Amazing board.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin