Author Topic: Can I use any tail pad?  (Read 3789 times)

PhilSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can I use any tail pad?
« on: January 29, 2024, 12:10:46 PM »
I feel pretty kooky asking this, but I've ordered my first custom shaped board (9'6x30") and while I'm waiting to get it I'd like to sort out the traction. I was thinking of starting with the tail pad and working my way forward from there. I've seen some "SUP" specific tail pads but they are few and far between. I've seen a few "wide board" tailpads and thought that might work. I've also thought maybe a longboard tailpad might be good. I had a shop guy tell me any standard pad would be fine but I just wanted to get a broader opinion on it. I'll try and post up a pic of the outline shape I'm going with on the board I'm getting so you all can see what I'm working with.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:12:19 PM by PhilSurf »

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I use any tail pad?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 01:50:43 PM »
Tail pads are generally defined by a tail kick / ramp, which probably isn't necessary for a board like that.  Most are also going to be far too narrow (intended for board width 20" or under), and given the size of that board, you are going to want more real estate to move around on anyways.

My suggestion is to buy a roll of deck pad with 3M backing and cut it to exactly the shape you need.  NSI has many different options to choose from in terms of grip and color.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 10:16:29 AM »
tons of SUP deck pads on Amazon for cheap.

PhilSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 03:04:23 PM »
Thanks for replys guys. StellaBlu I see what you mean, but I do plan to be far enough back on the tail often enough to find the kick handy so I figured I might as well have it. I've looked around online a ton, Amazon included, and found a few likely candidates, but I wanted to explore my options.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 03:09:32 PM by PhilSurf »

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 04:48:17 PM »
Check out OAM - These pads last really good - personal endorsement not sponsored.
Also on sale if the color is ok
https://oamsurf.com/collections/sup-traction/products/copy-of-3d-rays-sea-foam-grey-taylor-knox-traction-pad

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 08:24:08 PM »
I like the split style tail pad, as you want grip near the rail. 
Not all deck pads are equal, make sure you get one that does not absorb water.
I followed Ponobill's recommendation with RSPro cork and I shaved over a pound off my (previously heavy) 9'6" x 30" board after removing the stock deck pad & replacing it with cork.
https://www.rspro.org/collections/cork-traction

Other options...
https://genration.com/collections/accessories/products/modular-traction?variant=30242107588742
https://surfcohawaii.com/wax-mat-kits-sup/
Try to keep the board light.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:49:24 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PhilSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 07:32:22 PM »
Thanks finbox, those pads they look pretty nice  :)

Sflinux I will  defintely be looking for a 3 pc pad to cover as much area as possible. I'll check into the cork option, my last board was heavy so I'm totally wanting to keep it light! Thanks!

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 05:12:31 PM »
I have had a few of the OAM Pads. - I have installed them with the seams tight together and also with 1/2 to 1" gaps to fill the deck of the board.

PhilSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM »
I thought I'd update this thread. Went with the Lunasurf SUP tail pad and deck pad combo. Super stoked on it!!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM »
That came out great. Looks awesome.  8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal