Author Topic: Most surfable downwind board?  (Read 34416 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Most surfable downwind board?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
To me the All Star felt stiff like a corpse, as if it had no soul. It tracked straight really well and was fast, but I couldn't get over that race board feel whenever I caught a bump.

Funny that was my first reaction (what's the big deal?) when I briefly tried an AllStar 2016 and gave it back to my friend very quickly. He was cheesed off - like what, you do not like it really.... before the end of the season he traded it for an Ace. I then tried a 2017 and then again a 2018 and they felt like a freight train, and I could not go back fast enough on my Vapor.
My Ace-GT felt livelier then these - go figure. The design just does not speak to me but it must be really good for plenty of people as you can see AllStar a dime a dozen.

For all its faults, it is a good confidence builder board for someone who's starting out.
Once you're past that and looking to do some more you end up here like the OP  ;D
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
I think you need to have great skills to dw an allstar, like fiona & connor.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
Watching Conner Baxter and many other skilled paddlers shows that the AllStar surfs fine.. If you’re getting the opposite rail turning thing happening I’d guess it’s more about lack of skill and/or correct technique rather than a problem with the board ...
Yep this was my guess as well.  For DW the AS requires a pretty decent skill level.  This vid from a while back reviews a bunch of boards that may also be of interest.

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Ripple

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »
I agree with the last few comments.

The AS 28 catches bumps very easily and is fast, I’ve also surfed it in waist high and mushy waves, and it picks everything, but it likes to go straight.

Last DW session I’ve left behind a more experienced paddler on a bullet (can’t recall if v1 or v2), but that doesn’t mean I was having more fun, and had to stop halfway to stay with the others.

I have a feeling that I had more fun on the last DW I did with my 2015 14x29 glide, it was months ago and my skills have improved greatly, but i recall  the glide being much more fun. I’ll probably give it a go again next time, t does not have muck rocker but the tail looks similar to some of the boards suggested so maybe it’s a better match to my likings.

I have seen photos of female surfers riding in 4” high heels and elite paddlers downwinding doing headstands, I’m pretty sure they could surf an ironing board if their sponsors asked them to, so the fact that they can surf the AS it’s of very little value to me.

dk78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 02:10:59 AM »
Definitely, some boards surf better than other ones and as been said the Rail and the M14 are some of best. Also the new Infinity Downwtown surfs very well and turns on a dime when you are on a bump. But, from my experience, on a lot of downwind and hybrid boards, I have seen that the fin plays a huge role in the surf ability of the board. A simple dolphin fin such as the FCS Connect 9 can transform your board and make it a lot more fun. Give it a try.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 03:22:46 AM »
Definitely, some boards surf better than other ones and as been said the Rail and the M14 are some of best. Also the new Infinity Downwtown surfs very well and turns on a dime when you are on a bump. But, from my experience, on a lot of downwind and hybrid boards, I have seen that the fin plays a huge role in the surf ability of the board. A simple dolphin fin such as the FCS Connect 9 can transform your board and make it a lot more fun. Give it a try.

Very good point. That's the same fin I have on my board.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 04:46:25 AM »
The JP Hybrid was practically built for this purpose. It's not a downwind board, but it'll catch a ripple and has an actual "longboard" style tail. Back when I was working with JP I had a shorter Hybrid as a demo board and it was a blast at small waves. That new 12'6"x30 would be a hoot in the small stuff and still double as a flat water board.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 09:08:52 AM »
Buddy, and I have the Lahui Kai Manta 14 that surfs quite well, and does great in open water (we don't really have good "DW" conditions per se) with it's chined rails that adds stability that really did surprise me.

Someone else's example of the surf-ability of the Manta....

https://youtu.be/tCMWudLGtzo?t=1m10s

Fun board for sure.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
The JP Hybrid was practically built for this purpose. It's not a downwind board, but it'll catch a ripple and has an actual "longboard" style tail. Back when I was working with JP I had a shorter Hybrid as a demo board and it was a blast at small waves. That new 12'6"x30 would be a hoot in the small stuff and still double as a flat water board.
I dunno - the 12-6 has a wider and more voluminous tail and less rocker than the 11-6 and 10-6 versions which may limit its surfing ability.

But just to be clear, the OP wasn’t talking about surfing waves. He was talking about carving when on bumps downwind.

If you wanted a board that is very much a big surfboard then I guess you’d look at the 14ft Sunova Search. I was offered one at a very good price a while ago and I kick myself for not buying it, despite the stoopid handle and the hard-to-fix bamboo finish. But I think that would be for an ocean paddler who was going to use it for occasional small surf as well, not for someone downwinding on inland waters.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 01:28:48 PM »
A couple of years ago I was looking at a 14’ wider~30” Angulo board for an open ocean flat water board that could also surf. I forget the model.

Sunova Search looks nice for that. 

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
Since you're in QLD  check out DEEP Ocean Boards. I've been using the Dryft 14' x 24" this year and love it. They also make it in 26" & 28".  I'm sure Simon or one of the guys could get you on a demo.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 03:54:01 PM »
A couple of years ago I was looking at a 14’ wider~30” Angulo board for an open ocean flat water board that could also surf. I forget the model.
You are probably talking about the Angulo Shaka. I have one, and use it as a loaner to people doing their first downwinders. Great board in a big blow. Super stable and easy, and yes, it’s very surfable indeed, both in waves and bumps. Mine must be 8 yrs+ old now and is still going strong.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »
The Shaka was a board I was looking at. Looked like a great board for big guys....I liked the the old 11-11 Angulo for an all-around as well.

The Search surfs well, I like the feel of it on the open water too. It's very responsive for such a big board...and you've seen creek surf it. If my Vec ever dies it will likely be the replacement. All that from the perspective of a balance challenged big guy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:14:15 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 01:24:34 AM »
Yea that was it , the Shaka. It’s all hard enough, I’ll take the balance.

And Area 10, if you ever want to sell your board, let me know.  Ever do surf trips down in France?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2018, 03:58:59 AM »
Yea that was it , the Shaka. It’s all hard enough, I’ll take the balance.

And Area 10, if you ever want to sell your board, let me know.  Ever do surf trips down in France?
With Brexit affecting our currency so negatively, I’ll be making fewer trips abroad. I went to the Seychelles recently and the cost of everything was a real shock. 4 pizzas for the family at an average restaurant cost the equivalent of 128+ US dollars!

But next year after Brexit it could be a bonanza for you to visit the UK, if you can find a reason to do so. You’ll feel like a millionaire!

The British this summer have all been staying at home, aided by the hot weather. Some tourist destinations (like where I live) have actually had to close the roads to stop people coming! It’s a long way away from how it used to be a few years ago.

The Shaka I have is now looking a bit tatty, although it’s amazingly durable. It’s a shame they don’t make them like that any more. But its tattiness means I wouldnt get much for it, so, since it’s still one of the best hell-conditions (or family/big guy) boards out there, I hold onto it. They just don’t seem to make them like this any more, unfortunately. It’s well-loved around here and many people have started their DW careers on it.

Maybe I’ll take it to get fully restored. It feels like it “deserves” it somehow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal