Author Topic: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???  (Read 28674 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???
« on: September 22, 2016, 08:11:23 AM »
There was another thread similar to this one, but I didn’t want to hi-jack that thread so I started another one.

I’ve just recently been thinking about drysuits as it’s getting to that time of year. Was out last weekend and spent most of a pretty ugly day on and in the water (was in a course) in my Farmer John wetsuit and it wasn’t a lot of fun. I am intrigued by the Ocean Rodeo dry suit and by what a couple of you said about that suit in that other thread.

So for those of you who have the Ocean Rodeo, I have a couple of questions. I was looking online at both the Soul and the Ignite. It appears to me that the Ignite has built in booties and also has that waist belt to stop water from getting to the bottom of the suit when the neck gasket is not engaged. And Robon also mentioned that the Ignite is a little heavier as a suit. And of course the Ignite is also more expensive. Are there any other significant differences I’m missing?

I am wondering first of all about the booties. I saw a post in that other thread where Yugi said he wouldn’t get a dry suit with integrated booties because he would want to be able to let any water get out through the ankle seals. Any other plus’ or minus’ to the integrated booties? Are they alone worth the extra money for the Ignite?

And Robon, you mentioned that the Ignite is a heavier suit, and that was one of the negatives about it. Is this because it is more restrictive as far as mobility goes?

And finally, I know this may seem counter intuitive, but one reason I’ve never considered a dry suit before is that I have never liked anything tight around my neck. Even as a kid, I have never been comfortable with having something tight against my neck. Then I saw with Ocean Rodeo you can actually still wear the suit without the neck gasket on. This has some major appeal to me. I suppose if I was out in some very major conditions I would wear the neck gasket, but I would think for most instances I would not. Does this mean I should get the Ignite where they have the waist belt? Or if I’m not using the neck gasket most of the time, does it mean I should not even bother with a dry suit?

As for the conditions I’m paddling in, I live in B.C., Canada close to the west coast. I do not go out in really crazy conditions. My need for a dry suit, or at least some kind of immersion protection is that in winter I’m paddling in cold water. But in most cases, the water conditions will be flat to some chop. But it won’t be major ocean swells, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:26:10 AM »
If you can't get used to the neck gasket then there is no reason to get a drysuit. You could just wear Goretex foul weather clothes that you probably already have. The truth is though that NOBODY likes something tight around their neck, and most people can get used to it pretty quickly, especially if the suit is fitted by people who know what they're doing.

The benefit of integrated booties is that your feet stay dry and it's two fewer seals to deal with, the problem is that you can't get water out of the legs. Also over time the booties take a lot of wear and may start to leak. Same holds true for seals, and the fix is the same in both cases--send the suit back for repair. All drysuit companies I know of will replace seals and or/booties. Some will even switch from booties to seals if you like, and maybe vice-versa.

A belt won't keep the legs from flooding, it will just slow the flow--like having a belt on waders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:17 AM »
My O'Neil Boost dry-suit has traditional latex seals for the arms and legs but since it is only intended for surface sports takes advantage of a fairly comfortable neoprene neck seal.  Just like a wet-suit, the neoprene neck seal can be stretched (a little) to make it more comfortable.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:30 AM »
If you can't get used to the neck gasket then there is no reason to get a drysuit. You could just wear Goretex foul weather clothes that you probably already have. The truth is though that NOBODY likes something tight around their neck, and most people can get used to it pretty quickly, especially if the suit is fitted by people who know what they're doing.

The benefit of integrated booties is that your feet stay dry and it's two fewer seals to deal with, the problem is that you can't get water out of the legs. Also over time the booties take a lot of wear and may start to leak. Same holds true for seals, and the fix is the same in both cases--send the suit back for repair. All drysuit companies I know of will replace seals and or/booties. Some will even switch from booties to seals if you like, and maybe vice-versa.

A belt won't keep the legs from flooding, it will just slow the flow--like having a belt on waders.

Thanks Pono for your reply. So I take it then that you would rather have the booties than not have them? Or is it really just not that big a deal and more a personal preference kind of thing?
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:07:05 AM »
If the neck seal is neoprene as on the O'Neil Boost, and O'Neil Assault semi-dry they are not uncomfortable at all. Latex seals which are usually trimmed to fit are a whole nother smoke 🚬!

It is possible to trim them so it doesn't feel like strangulation, which would be fine if your intended use is paddling..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »
I just finished talking to one of the sales reps at Ocean Rodeo. They will be having their new models coming out shortly, and for their new Ignite suits, they will have an adjustable, neoprene neck seal. Won't get the sale price (sale is going on right now on current models), but an adjustable neck seal sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:42:30 AM by Quickbeam »
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:46:30 AM »
Whomp, there it is! Awesome! 

;D;D;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:36:56 AM »
We have dry pants with booties - and a separate dry top - and really do not use them unless it is really wet or very cold on a dangerous DW run.  Did want to get an OR but decided we just would not use it enough to justify.

If paddling about in the winter sunshine and calm conditions we just wear shorts - neoprene booties and a very light top.  At most neoprene pants or shorty.  Even then that is way too much.  And we do paddle throughout the winter here in Vancouver.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 11:02:14 AM »
Eagle, what are dry-pants?  Do they actually seal at the waist?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
Fast is FUN!   8)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
Very cool Eagle; 1st time seeing those.  Seems that would be great for getting in and out of the water for sure.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
Bean these are what we have -

https://kokatat.com/product/hydrus-3l-tempest-pants-with-socks-ptuhtp

Eagle, that’s hilarious! I saw your post about the dry pants with booties and got thinking about dry pants as opposed to a full dry suit. I already have a light dry top so you got me thinking. I started looking around online and focused in on the Kokatat Hydrus pants at MEC. I was just in the process of getting MEC to put some aside for me when I saw your post referencing that’s what you use. Still not sure I’ll get them, but am definitely interested. Thanks for the idea!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 12:56:10 PM »
Bean these are what we have -

https://kokatat.com/product/hydrus-3l-tempest-pants-with-socks-ptuhtp

Hey Eagle,

Sorry, one more question. If you do end up off your board and in the water, do these pants still keep you fairly dry? Thanks.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »
Hey guys

Check out

http://www.supskin.com

I'm mit involved in the bussiness but really like their products. High quality and really great for Racing/Training.
Met the founder once on a race - he is a really nice Person and dedicaded paddler who does a lot for the race scene here in europe!

Greetings bernhard

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
Yeah QB - MEC is where I got them from.  I have used them maybe 5 times or so for DW runs up in Squamish.  Have not fallen in yet with them - but have sat on my board waiting for others.  Stay completely dry and legs do not freeze.  The lads kinda laughed when they first saw them - but understood for cold DW - they are a good idea.  Where you are - it probs is worthwhile to get them.  Here on the coast the temps are quite mild.  We rarely get any snow accumulating by the water.

Most the guys only do the short 5 mile run to Britannia - whereas my preference is going right into Squamish.  The wind is far better up there and the risk level much higher.  Probs in total have fallen maybe 5x DW and maybe 5x in very rough AW total.  But if conditions go nuts I am perfectly ok to drop down and paddle on my knees for a while.  My wife otoh stays dry no matter what.  Haha.  But one day ..... Splash!

My guess is that if you velcro them up tight - you will stay quite dry.  So when it gets crazy - I velcro up.
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Garmin Instinct GPS watch speed readings?
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
LaPerouseBay
June 15, 2024, 11:23:06 AM
LaPerouseBay
June 13, 2024, 02:34:17 PM
LaPerouseBay
June 12, 2024, 10:03:46 PM
post Re: Moving
[General Discussion]
Dusk Patrol
June 11, 2024, 08:55:33 AM
[General Discussion]
surfcowboy
June 10, 2024, 08:04:51 PM
[General Discussion]
surfcowboy
June 10, 2024, 07:54:22 PM
post Re: SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
June 10, 2024, 06:28:30 PM
LaPerouseBay
June 09, 2024, 12:23:56 PM
LaPerouseBay
June 08, 2024, 02:15:39 PM
PonoBill
June 08, 2024, 05:09:36 AM
post Re: Foil Drive Plus
[Classifieds]
Vancouver_foiler
June 07, 2024, 02:00:58 PM
post Re: Foil Drive Plus
[Classifieds]
Vancouver_foiler
June 07, 2024, 02:00:21 PM
post Re: Latest XPS Evolution: Orange Crush
[The Shape Shack]
Subber
June 07, 2024, 08:52:49 AM
LaPerouseBay
June 07, 2024, 02:08:35 AM
post Re: Latest XPS Evolution: Orange Crush
[The Shape Shack]
SUPladomi
June 06, 2024, 09:06:36 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal