Author Topic: Best Surf Paddle?  (Read 6571 times)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Surf Paddle?
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
I broke my second Riviera Bump today. Third wave into a great session with nobody out. Pulling hard from a low grip and BAM there it went. Launched me in front of the board then the nose proceeded to nail me in the quad. Out of action for awhile. I don't mean to slam Riv by any means as I like the family that owns the company, GREAT people and great products but I'm ready to go in a different paddle direction. My question is what is everyone's experience with Werner, Quickblade, etc. for surf?
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Best Surf Paddle?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »
This should turn into 10 pages of paddle pimping real quick.

Here is food for thought. All brands break. Some more than others. If you own one of the brands that is completely hot glued and you have a failure, it's so much easier to deal with. Fast simple self repair.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
Kialoa Insanity.  Love mine.  Hasn't broken in 2 years. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
I am also a fan of the Rambos, but I'd have a hard time giving up Ke Nalu paddles. It's been years since I had anything to do with the brand other than using them, but they've proven to be the most versatile and most durable paddles I've tried. I've broken one shaft, and that was simple abuse, tossing it around and scratching up the shaft. I haven't cleaned up my act, my Ke Nalus get flogged, but I've had no problems and love the interchangeability.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
It's all so personal and like DW said all of them can break. I doubt I'll ever bother trying another. Simply no need. If there was improvement I think it would be so incrementally small I might not even notice. I had a couple of the early blades split along the edge from all my rail whacking and one snapped at the frog when I hit the bottom hard with it but since then nothing but good, never broken a shaft or handle. I kind of assume I may never need to buy another paddle since I have a few...maybe a new blade but even that's doubtful.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
I have paddled a Ke Nalu Xtuf(s) Maliko extensively for 3.5 yrs and it's held up well.  I broke one handle & Lane replaced it for a discount per their replacement policy.  It is till holding up very well.  My next purchase will be a smaller Ke Nalu blade as the Maliko feels big now. 

To echo others, the versatility is hard to beat.  1-2 times I had a hot glue failure while surfing.  1-2 times I've had water seep into the shaft requiring me to take it apart and drain.  But as I've gotten better at the Ke Nalu system, it's all but stopped being an issue.   

I have also paddled several Werners & find their quality second to none.  The Nitro is a great surf paddle, I can't wait to try their new Rip Stick which is 100% surf-oriented.  Werners are 100% made in USA and they have been making paddles for decades.  They are built to last, and they can repair and replace parts of their paddles that break for free (if warrantied), or for a reasonable price (if not warrantied).  I dealt with them professionally for 2 years as a shopkeeper, and found them to be an outstanding outfit.       

Lastly, I've paddled a few Kialoas (Insanity, Hulu) and from my experience, prefer my Ke Nalu & Werners.

Never tried a QB so can't comment.       
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
I've got a Quick Blade Kanaha paddle
36 stiffness index - carbon fiber shaft
90 blade size - fiber glass
height 7" overhead

The only paddle I've used more than a few times.

Surfed with it for five years, about three times per week.
Still going strong!
 ;D
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
I've never broken a Ke Nalu (despite very hard use) or Werner.
Bunch of old shit

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 10:02:17 AM »
There are a number of good paddles on the market...some better performance, quality, and value than others...
Our paddles have been on the market for over 5 years now...and, we've sold thousands of them...

DW is correct...all paddle brands break...and, we've had five total...

Two fiberglass blades broken by big guys, 230# and 250#, while bracing on the sand in the surf zone...one fiberglass blade out in Colorado on rocks...and, one carbon/bamboo veneer blade at the 2 year mark on a big day hit by the board...we replaced all four of the blades...no cost...

We have only had one shaft break...and, it was by me on a big day because I tossed my board at my paddle after it got ripped out of my hands...and, the wave karate chopped my board into the shaft up near the top...we shortened that shaft...hot glued the old handle back in...and, it's still going strong in our demo fleet...

We also haven't had a single broken carbon grip...unlike several brands that we used to carry back in the day...let alone some horribly designed ABS grips...;-)

My current paddle has three seasons on it and is still going strong...

You can see in these images that the carbon shaft windings look nearly identical to KeNalu...our shafts on left...KeNalu on right...we call the texture "snakeskin"...;-)

I've used them extensively in warm tropical waters with no slipping...even on the hardest bottom turns...can't say that about previous brands of SUP paddles that we've carried...nothing worse than laying into a turn and slipping...

We've also dialed in what I think is the perfect flex for a surf paddle...SUPer important if you want to keep your joints and tendons pain free...

Our full carbon paddles with either bamboo or basswood veneer on the carbon blade are $269 retail...same "snakeskin" shaft is used on our paddles with fiberglass blades...$199 retail...

http://supsports.com/sup-paddles
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 11:44:10 PM »
I've only broken one KeNalu in the four years since I switched to them exclusively...snapped it right in half when I inadvertently slammed the tailgate on it :o ....but a local board repair guy pieced it back, and I used it for another couple years before picking up another one.  Now I have had the blade delam twice on that, but a good friend fixed me right up the first time (thanks TallDude), and a little Gorilla Glue, a couple pieces of wood, and a couple clamps did the trick perfectly the second time.

TW, you're more than welcome to try one of mine....I was using the Elite, but have since switched to the X-tuf, and really like it even better.  Both are the the Wiki (84 sq") which work great for short, quick strokes that I find work when trying to get the shorter boards into the surf better....just my opinion naturally.

Just hit me up the next time you see me for a go, and if you like either of them, I know a guy, who knows a guy.... ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:03 AM »
I've snapped two Werners, both times torquing hard to get into a wave. Almost impaled myself on the bottom part the second time. Not fun.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 06:45:47 AM »
I prefer paddles from companies that focus solely on paddles. I've had paddles from those same companies break too, so not saying they are better, but I prefer to put my money and faith with someone that is focused on just paddles. That being said, I still support, follow and will try other brands that also make boards too, such as Blue Planet, which I backed during their Kickstarter campaign.

This is such a personal question that there is no answer that will be correct. It's been discussed before but there's factors to consider like board size (volume), how much yaw you can deal with, how your body/shoulders feel, even what type of break you surf regularly (rocky, sandy, etc.) as there is a better suited choice depending on those variables.

I've been using a Ke Nalu Wiki 84 exclusively for surf (4+ years) and have only broken one. The ferrule in the blade snapped on a bottom turn. Replacement was cake. I use a QB V-Drive and Trifecta for distance and race paddling but have also been eyeing their new fiberglass V-Drive models and I'm considering trying an 81 blade size.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
Thanks for all the great info. I never really thought much about paddles until I heard a big SNAP and was being launched over the board only to have the nose go straight into my thigh so out of the water and learning about paddles. Man there are some nice ones out there and the different designs are interesting to compare. Capobeachboy came over and we fed him and got him drunk enough to leave 2 beautiful KeNalu's for me to demo. Looking forward to trying em out when I'm back out there. Those QB's, Werners, Kialoa, KeNalu's are all awesome and I'm betting they're all top notch.

Thank you again for your responses
TW
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
After having to fetch my paddle that washed ashore after it got ripped out of my hands trying to clear a set wave, the best surf paddle is one that FLOATS really well.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
I was able to try one of the KeNalu's that Chris left for me. I used the small one and I have to say I'm impressed with the paddle and the smaller blade size. It's like using 2nd gear instead of 4th (larger blade). When catching a wave you need explosive power out of the hole and the smaller blade with the faster cadence delivers. Thinking about the whole picture you could compare your body strength to an engine, the board to the chassis and the paddle to the transmission. Distance paddling and you're into 4th and 5th gear paddles. So describing paddle area in gears makes sense.....

Plus my shoulders were not sore in the least that night.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]