Author Topic: Anybody SUP a Rhizotomy Board???  (Read 20660 times)

Barnickel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anybody SUP a Rhizotomy Board???
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »
Hello folks, I'm a newbie to the site and to SUP and looking to get into the sport.  I've done a lot of research to find my first board and I'm looking at the Rhizotomy Synapse Series Neptune board found here:

https://www.rhizotomysurf.com/rhizotomy-paddleboards-neptune-00192.html

The Board is is 12' in length, 5.5 thick, 34" wide and has 275 ltrs of volume.  As I am 5'9" and weigh around 290lbs I'm looking for a board that will float me well in flat water, chop, and as i become more comfortable i plan to try paddle surfing.  I live in Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay and take weekend trips to the ocean where will be using it in the back bay and in the ocean surf as i advance. I'm not try to spend a fortune just yet and as of now my ceiling is $1200.00.  Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with these boards and if so what you think about them. Thanks folks!!!π

supthecreek

Re: Anybody SUP a Rhizotomy Board???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »
Welcome to the Zone!

Don't know the brand.

I had great luck, when I started, on my Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36 x 5 at 230 liters. I was about 285 lbs back then. Super stable and it surfs amazingly well for a gigantic board, and it was great on flat-water.

Probably well within your budget. Look for used.

Barnickel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the Starboard Avanti... I've checked Starboard out and know people love them... Starboard is a little more expensive then what I'm looking for in an introductory board.  I would maybe like to add one to my arsenal in the future but as of right now I have to stick with a price tag of $1200.00 or less as that is all my budget (my woman) will allow me to spend.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 11:25:33 PM »
Rhizotomy?? Sounds like getting something sharp stuck up your nose! 12' by 34" is big enough to float a small party. You might be better served looking for something like a used Starboard 12'6" X 30. They're durable in AST, and you can surf, sail, race and cruise on them. Should be some around if you look a bit. I still have one here in Hawaii to fish from and for guests. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one for $600 or so.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Barnickel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
Thanks Pono...  I'll keep an eye out for one.... Seems like Starboard is everyones choice or the most popular.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »
NSP is also a good choice for a first board. They make solid, reasonably low priced boards. You can probably get their touring/cruiser boards (12'6") for under your $1,200 limit new. The all-around boards are about $1,000, and you can cruise and surf on those. I've had an 11' all-around for three years and haven't had any trouble with it, although it's definitely slower than a touring model. It'll take an impact pretty well, too, which is important.

Bic also makes a solid all-around at a good price. Check out their Ace-tech boards.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
You might also consider Riviera's larger surfing/touring/cruising model.

Their 11'6" x 33" x 4-7/8" at 210 liters should be more than enough board for you, and at $950 (plus tax), you're getting brand new for the price of some used boards.

Bunch of basic color options to choose from, and while I've not had any personal experience with that particular board, I have ridden several of "Rivies" other models, and I have to say.....

For the price, they're a pretty decent performing board, and seem to be surprisingly well made.  (Disclaimer: I've not owned a Riviera board, only surfed friends' boards, so I'm only going on appearance and feel of the board when I say, "surprisingly well made", and not any long term experience with them.)

Just another option to consider.  But regardless of what you end up with, hunting down a new board is always a fun adventure in itself.

Best of luck with your search. 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Barnickel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
Thanks Ichabod... I'm not to crazy about the plastic moulded boards like the BIC but I will check NSP... Sano, I will check Riviera, my local sup and kayak shop sells that brand and will let me demo.

Thanks For the Heads up Guys!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
No problem. The DURA-TEC Bic boards are pretty plasticy but the ACE-TEC ones are a lot more like a normal board. Either way, an NSP is a good board.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
Barnickel,

Thought I'd chime in here I'm your size a bit taller 6'2 and I'm VERY familiar with what you are looking for and yes Stability and width are key but what most paddlers and manufacturers over look (because they aren't as big as we are) and that is STIFFNESS, I ride everything (as I'm a retailer) in this class.
First I agree w/ Creek and Avanti is a nice option for you but there is no way (Even with our Zoner discount) that is going to get passed the budget committee...I'm married 30 years I KNOW where you are coming from.

So what will work for you

Again the SB Cruiser Pono suggested is another option but we'll run into that $1200 ceiling. However, we have one up here used (oh by the way we are just up the road in Atlantic City NJ) for $599 So that is a doable option But as good as it is/was it is a dated design (It was a great board in its time and w/o that board a lot of us wouldn't be as stoked as we are...Thanks Sven.)

I think a better more up to date design, and refined construction is the Fanatic Fly Allaround 11'6 (33" wide nice stiff epoxy sandwich and reasonable weight and outstanding durability) at 256L which is plenty of volume in the lighter HRS the board would come in at budget, However if we went with the same board in PURE construction which is HRS (less the finishing) construction
We could do that below your budget WITH A PADDLE or pretty much on budget with a carbon paddle.
We also have a used one for $799

If you are interested in a quote you can email me 484 515 5758 or call me 484 515 5758

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »
There's your answer.  Get them both and you'll still be around 1200+
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
JimK takes good care of his customers. I'm very happy with the board I got from him — rode it today as a matter of fact.

Barnickel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
Jim, thanks for the info... Never considered Fanatic I just checked their website and looked at the fly... They advertise the fly at being 236 liters not the 256 as said above... I'm not doubting that your calculations are wrong or your expertise... Everyone I've talked to has told me that I would need a wide board for stability and a lot of volume due to my weight... What volume should I look for... The guys that I've talked to said that there is an equation for figuring this out but but I have yet to see it...

I'm just trying to find a board that will fit and float me as it should.  When I first started I was looking at the Pau Hana Big EZ w/ 225 ltrs and some people said it would ride too low in the water. This is why I started looking for a board with a lot of volume like the one I mentioned above at the start of the thread.
South county boards was another board I considered. Thank you for all the info and anymore that you might have in the future... As I continue to look I will consider the fanatic  fly if  you feel that I would benefit from that board.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 06:40:28 AM »
I think Rhizotomy is the house brand of that new SUP shop in Manasquan? Is that where you found it?

Never heard of them outside of that shop.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
I finally googled Rhizotomy. WTF? I'd need that one explained.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 05:37:01 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger