Author Topic: Who else is riding 6'10's  (Read 12547 times)

Supperson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who else is riding 6'10's
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
Colas you are a beast!
props to you riding such a small board!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
Speaking for 168lbs I am not liking these very wide short boards
 they dont get down the line or up straight up the face.
I used to think you compromise too much going shorter because it would mean you have to go wider. NOT TRUE! Now for me my short is 6'8 x 25.5 feels right
I know it takes some practice paddling and skill but once you get the feel of boards in the 25'' to 27'' width range and once you get into the surf you can notice a serious difference surfing.
You will not want to go back to wider boards that bog you down
Shapers need to get with it
This is not an entry level sport anymore and equipment need to reflect it more.
As we progress shorter and narrower for more high performance

You must live in CA ;D

Come surf my home where the wind never stops and the chop turns tough guys into wimps  ;D ;D ;D

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »
We are pretty lucky here in Cali, I will admit.  My magic width is 26.  Can't wait to try my new board.  My long time shaper Roger Hinds took my relatively short-time shaper Corran Addison's 7'9" by 26 by 3.5) Push Plus, and did some slightly different things with the rails, and the bottom... (some things that Corran has also done on his even smaller "Push.)"

I will post pics when it is done...

I busted a fin on my Push Plus and had to ride my big board recently (8'3" by 27)... can't snap as tight or get it as vertical... but it sure is fun!

Be well,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »
Now THAT is AWESOME! Way to go. I love GONG, what a great company.

6'6" for my 100kg and loving it. Tried also 5'11", 6'8", 7'10"
Perfect for a technical challenge to spice up a flat summer, and enhance your surfing. These boards are not really diffcult, you just need to learn a new paddling technique. Their challenge is that you are more directly in contact with the wave, and must find the good tempo: These boards work like shortboards, by pushing on the legs, but if you push with the wrong timing you stop them dead. They open up a whole new realm of possibilities on the wave however, if you get one from a shaper with a good experience (many years) designing less-than 7' SUPs

[MB] SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »
6'10? I can't imagine riding anything other than my 8'5 X 28. I'm 162 average and in MB (southbay beach break) this weekend I was fighting back wash, ripple current sinking the tail (or I thought) but man it was tough. Guess I need to hit the gym and more water time. I did get some nice head high surf with an occasional shoulder to carve but it was tough to say the least.
I give anyone props for riding anything shorter than 8'5 no matter how wide it is.

Todd
8'5 Hokua
9'1 PSH hull ripper pro
9'6 X 2 Nalu
10'6 Isle

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
I got one of corrans proto 6'11 x 27' coming this week, can't wait just need some decent waves, a little nervous about the 27' wide as I'm stepping down from my 7'8 hokua but so psyched to get something that's going to fit in the pocket a bit better and less board = faster tighter turns and more vertical snaps!
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »
[MB] SUP, I would suffer insanely on a 8'5" x 28"... On the other hand I had a blast in huge chop on my 6'6"x 33"
I found out another link for explanations on how to take off with a ShortSUP http://www.gongsup.com/+HOW-TO-shortSUP-take-off+.html

Supperson, you do not need to get down to extreme narrowness for rail to rail agility. Try to play with tail shapes and rail curves. On these boards your rear foot is really on the kickpad, where the width is actually not that big. But it depends on your weight and height. For my 220lbs, 31.5" is a confortable width, 29.5" is becoming quite hard. I guess that at 168lbs you can go narrower. Narrow boards are faster to paddle, though.
Also I live is a land of slow waves, so width gives you the power the wave lack. I guess that on cleaner more powerful waves, I could go narrower.
I think we are at the beginning of this evolution however, so it is nice to see peole explore different design options...

On the other hand, Michael seems to like the 31.5" width of his 6'6" even in clean waves...

more at:
http://www.gongsup.com/+HOW-TO-bas-haut+.html
http://www.gongsup.com/+SESSION-Mika-no-flaps+.html
http://www.gongsup.com/+PHOTO-Mika-bien-cache+.html

Supperson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
Good stuff Colas!!!

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »
5'11" & 5'9" will be the hardest
6'9" 6'11" 7'2" 7'4" will be the easiest

Thanks colas
I was thinking about a Naish Hokua 7'8 or a Coreban Vibe  or a Starboard 7'11  to complement my Pocket Rocket but now I will also have to consider a Gong 7'2 .
It is at least 2" wider than the other 3 boards....

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
got my 6"11 x 27 cutback today! can't wait to give it a whirl might get up early tomorrow, will post some feedback

you can check more pics out on lisp.blogspot.com

-reid

here it is on top of my 7"8

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:50:23 PM by Reid SUP'd »
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

OceanRidge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
Cannot wait to hear your feedback

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 08:52:12 PM »
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »
i like small boards a lot and rode them for about a yr 7'9 to 7'4  to 6'6  but i found i really love glide. i wound up going bac to 8'5 seems to serve me best. i can catch anything as early as i want and do any maneuver i could do on the small brd. plus i like getting bac out to the lineup fast i find the small boards paddle so slow.  they are fun to look at however. and seeing u guys with them makes me wanna ride one.

Supperson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 07:50:48 AM »
Reid
you might like using a smaller paddle face it helps alot surfing with these smaller rides and is easier on your shoulders.

Newton
It depends on the break and conditions but when you have a nice point break you can really surf the wave like a shortie and an 8'5 feels like a longboard and too big for a point break
my 7'9 is a great size to double overhead but if waves smaller I like my 6'8 or 6'10
If you narrow the board to 25-27 it will paddle faster, I can still stroke as fast as most longboarders on my 6'8
The glide is nice on bigger boards and needed for mushier waves and longer distances but performance sup surfing in Cali is going smaller

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
Supperson,

That QB paddle is my touring/racing paddle,  It was right next to me so I grabbed that to show the size of the board, its also a bit longer than my surfing paddles which adds to the wow factor of just how short the board is. thanks for exposing me ; )

I prefer slimmer blades when surfing as well as fiberglass, i love the flex of it!

post some pics of your short SUBs when you get a chance!

-Reid
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal