Author Topic: SUPsurf in ESA  (Read 2307 times)

Jon E.B.

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
SUPsurf in ESA
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »
East Coast Zoners,
I am trying to drum up support for the inclusion of SUPsurf as a valid division within the ESA. I emailed 35 district director-types and have received only 7 responses. Their stances range from: a)SUPsurf cannot fit within the ESA.  to  b)SUPsurf should be included. Apparently, in the past, the subject has been brought before the board of directors and did not even reach a vote.
I encourage any of you fellow East Coast Zoners who feel that the ESA should include SUPsurf to email/call/write the ESA regarding the matter:
Debbie Hodges, executive director: centralhq@surfesa.org
Mary Ann Mangiacapare, competition director: competition@surfesa.org.
Eastern Surfing Association
Address:
PO Box 625
Virginia Beach
Virginia
United States of America
Telephone: 757-233-1790
Fax: 757-233-1396
If you wish, you can contact specific district directors by following the ESA site links:
http://www.surfesa.org/
~
An alternative to acceptance within the ESA, would be the formation of our own entity. Is there someone out there organizing said? I would gladly join to compete.
If one looks at the International SUPsurf scene, it becomes apparent that we, at least on the EC, are falling behind when it comes to getting SUPsurf competition accepted as a valid modality...
Also, if any of you know of shops that promote SUPsurf, I have been contacted by a shop owner who is interested in forming an alliance to further the growth of SUPsurf competition on the East Coast. Pm me if you have interested parties. Thank you.
Surfdaily,
Jon E.B.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:35:03 AM by Jon E.B. »

Jon E.B.

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUPsurf in ESA
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »
Does anyone have input on this matter?

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
Last summer, I mentioned to a local assistant director for Central North Carolina that I'd heard that ESA was contemplating SUP. His comment was "I hope not. We've got enough to do already"

My opinion..... If the individual directors do not sup, then they're not likely to be for it.

Richard
Atlantic Beach, NC

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:21:04 AM »
Unfortunately i think there needs to be a little bit more critical mass on the east coast before its likely we'll see SUP added. What's the ratio of prone to SUP and what do you think the actual number of SUPs are down south. I know up north our numbers are still relatively small...growing, but still small at this point.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Jon E.B.

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:12 AM »
I am of the opinion that if we don't make our presence known, then we deserve to sit (which, I will point out, is the opposite of standing up) around while every other wave-riding modality becomes accepted in the official competitive arena.
SUPs are selling like hotcakes! I meet new SUPsurfers every other session or so. They (you) are out there. It is just a matter of organizing.
At the contests I have competed in(4), SUPsurf was well received. The sport is growing fast. I am now competing against professional surfers.
It is only a matter of time before SUPsurf is recognized at the professional level. The pros do not get the opportunity to become professional without going through the weeding-out process of amateur events.
It is a shame that a dedicated SUPsurfer would not be able to climb the ranks within a sanctioned amateur organization and gain sponsors along the way in order to achieve pro level.
Without the amateur process, the development of competitive SUPsurf will be in the hands of those who's true focus is another modality and who, more or less, dabble in the sport at the request of their mega-sponsors.
The die-hard SUPsurfer is left out of the equation...
Stand up and be counted!

NCBA

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »
I agree. If you could aproach the directors with the idea of a one heat intermission contest of the local SUP and have a couple volunteers judge it, then it would promote the sport and mix it up. Give something to the volunteers and the winner. A SUP T-shirt, sticker, a beer!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut