Author Topic: Falling  (Read 2985 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Falling
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »
We had a fun run yeterday in a little more onshore conditions.  Here is Chan (outside), Randy Royse (Middle) and me (nearest shore).

Pretty much the same line until I decided (unwisely) to try to get a little extra from some of the side on swell that were running over the low tide reef.  It was pretty fast through Camp One, with some great runners.

I had a clean run going until Upper Kanaha, where i got into a steep glide and couldn't keep the nose out.  It's funny to see the current pulling you backwards while you try to get things back together.

The really shitty one happened after I had ridden too far inside and had to choose a spot to get back out.  I aimed for the channel just above Lower Kanaha, but got clipped by a tiny little broken foam pile.  It was only a little better than a foot deep there, and that made it pretty tough to move without grinding on the reef.  I was down 2 full minutes.  The current on the reef was was pulling me around and at one point my chart shows a funny little circle.

Here are Chan's diggers learning Jeremy's new board.

You can see the long pit on my chart where I was doing reef circles.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:38:35 AM by Admin »

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Falling
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:42:01 AM »
That's funny,
I was looking at my run and saw the same kind of falls where I was being pulled backwards.
Even had a funny little circle like you....SWEET! :D

Amazing the detail the GPS data shows.
Especially using google earth and zooming in.

A good tool for analyzing a run and seeing the different lines used.

Also overlaying multi paddlers runs, you can see exactly where everyone is at a specific time during the run...you can look at the time of day in the info boxes by clicking on the boxes on your GPS line, and find that same time on the other paddlers and bingo... you can see everyone's position at that moment...cool! ;D

The miracles of modern science :o

Randy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
Wild stuff. I need to add some of that depth to the Ke Nalu GPS feature set.

I have the baseline stuff working now, and a beta form up and running. I've added a lot more stuff to it, but it's too unreliable to release into the wild just yet.

You can play with it though, it automatically publishes content on Ke nalu in the News column. If you are not yet a member, or haven't used the form yet it goes into a moderation queue instead of being instantly published. If you're a Ke Nalu subscriber it goes into the queue until you've successfully published two articles (moderator has okay-ed them) and then it's fully automatic.

You can upload .GPX files and .JPG pictures on the beta form, and write anything you like about the content. This capability has a long way to go, but it's going to be pretty cool, I think. .GPX files show as a fully capable map that can be zoomed, panned, etc. Pictures should be no more than 600 pixels wide. I'll set them up as clickable thumbnails later. This is just a test. Play away, I have a current site backup, so don't worry about breaking stuff.

http://www.kenalu.com/report/beta-gps-form/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 10:45:05 PM »
I've looked at a lot of the data I have from runs and have seen the same effect in files imported into google earth, but I don't think it's real. When I look at the raw data I don't see any kind of rearward movement. It's only in the KML files. And if you look at the drawings you'll see that the backwards or circular movements tend to be long straight lines, unlike the other data around it. I think what is happening is that Goggle's KML conversion is doing some interpolation and getting it wrong. It probably happens most frequently when the data winds up being oddly spaced as it might be if you were having a problem or making a sudden turn. But I don't think you were being pulled backwards against a 15 kt wind.

You can see an example of Google earth making an incorrect interpolation in yesterday's trace--I must have lost a satellite for awhile just as I left the gulch. As you can see the interpolation is a straight line.

And then right off Ho'okipa you can see it has me doing a pretty nice little loop. Didn't happen, I didn't even fall anywhere near there.

Note the suspiciously straight lines in the loop. My interpretation isn't as much fun as yours, and i don't mean to rain on parades, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

On a positive note, I have Google earth .KML files working on Ke Nalu's automatic GPS posting system (that's three hours of my life I'm not getting back) so people can zoom in on my--or their own--files and see these fascinating data artifacts.

http://www.kenalu.com/2009/04/05/test-kml/

Or load your own .KML files here: http://www.kenalu.com/report/beta-gps-form/

I am going a little wacky with this stuff. I can now speak GPS. And to think a few weeks ago a didn't know a waypoint from a track and TMC from GPX, KML, KMZ, and NMEA. How empty my life was. Who knew?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:04:23 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:59 PM »
Hmmm, well maybe my KML conversion is not quite ready for primetime. It pretty convincingly hosed ke Nalu. I have it fixed, but the kml stuff is confined to my test environment until it learns to behave itself. 

If you'd like to try it go to: http://www.kenalu2.com/gpsdev/ and click on the "New Form" button. You can upload .kml .gpx and .jpg files to the site through the form. I'll have to moderate it before you can see your form, but if you'd like to play directly with this, register, then send me an email and I'll raise your permission level so you can break it to your hearts content
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:33:42 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:07:22 AM »
Hmmm, well maybe my KML conversion is not quite ready for primetime.

How you gunna get something complex like that working if you don't know a circle when you see one? :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:55:41 AM »
So dat's what is is. Now I need to take circle lessons. Damn!

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »
Yea,
I see Randy all the time doing funny little circles....
Hanging onto his board yelling....MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!! ;D

GPS don't lie!! ;)

Randy

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
Yea,
I see Randy all the time doing funny little circles....
Hanging onto his board yelling....MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!! ;D

You get mean when you have to work.  It's not becoming.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again