Author Topic: Wearable PFD recommendations.  (Read 11375 times)

StinkBait

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Wearable PFD recommendations.
« on: May 09, 2016, 10:11:09 AM »
I have an incoming iSup and would like to have a low profile wearable PFD until I get comfortable on my iSUP, after I get comfortable I'll be buying a fanny pack type Onyx M-24 and wear that instead.

The two I have been researching are the NRS Ninja and the Stohlquist Edge .

http://www.amazon.com/Stohlquist-523393-Parent-Edge-Life-Jacket/dp/B00HLCAY7Y/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51mNh2vAciL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR125%2C160_&refRID=0YDCQTYCN8AEEBPC2TYA

http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Ninja-Northwest-River-Supplies/dp/B003BUMXWO?ie=UTF8&colid=20YF3RUYV7EZ5&coliid=I2K6HF4AVIM02A&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Any of you folks have a PFD you wear that I can add to my compare list?

I plan on going down to West Marine and Bass Pro Shops this weekend and see if they carry these models so I can try them on, I plan on actually purchasing them online since I always find it online cheaper.

Thank you in advance for the help and suggestions!  :)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wearable PFD recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
Good on ya for planning on wearing a life jacket. It looks like you are looking to buy online? In the case of a wearable life jacket I would suggest getting one at a local brick and mortar store like a local kayak shop. A life jacket is something you kind of want to try on before you buy. They all fit, adjust and wear slightly different from each other and you will be happiest (read most likely to wear it) if it fits well. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:49:33 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »
Below you'll find the most low profile PFD's. Both superior to the 2 you've listed.

1. Vaicobi racing PFDhttp://www.vaikobi.com/products/vaikobi-hi-vis-ocean-racing-pfd

2. Mocke Racer http://mockepaddling.com/product/mocke-racer-pfd-2014/

Both have large hydration compartment and some nice size pockets. They are also high visibility
so you'll be seen from a distance.

I own the Vaikobi and it is the best I've ever had. I also have the Stohlquist you listed which is good
but not coming close the Vaikobi. The ninja is about on par with the Stohlquist.

The only advantage (or disadvantage, depends on conditions) I'll have for the Stohlquist is that it is much warmer, so if you're looking to paddle in colder weather it might be good for you. but if you're looking for the lightest lower profile vented PFD's, Vaikobi or Mocker will do the job better than anything else imo.

Since I've been using it, I never really so the need to wear the Onyx.
in progress...

StinkBait

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Below you'll find the most low profile PFD's. Both superior to the 2 you've listed.

1. Vaicobi racing PFDhttp://www.vaikobi.com/products/vaikobi-hi-vis-ocean-racing-pfd

2. Mocke Racer http://mockepaddling.com/product/mocke-racer-pfd-2014/

Both have large hydration compartment and some nice size pockets. They are also high visibility
so you'll be seen from a distance.

I own the Vaikobi and it is the best I've ever had. I also have the Stohlquist you listed which is good
but not coming close the Vaikobi. The ninja is about on par with the Stohlquist.

The only advantage (or disadvantage, depends on conditions) I'll have for the Stohlquist is that it is much warmer, so if you're looking to paddle in colder weather it might be good for you. but if you're looking for the lightest lower profile vented PFD's, Vaikobi or Mocker will do the job better than anything else imo.

Since I've been using it, I never really so the need to wear the Onyx.
Good on ya for planning on wearing a life jacket. It looks like you are looking to buy online? In the case of a wearable life jacket I would suggest getting one at a local brick and mortar store like a local kayak shop. A life jacket is something you kind of want to try on before you buy. They all fit, adjust and wear slightly different from each other and you will be happiest (read most likely to wear it) if it fits well. Good luck!

Thank you for the helps guys! :)

Doing some digging on the Vaikobi I found a post by you Burchas, I think I might have found the PFD I've been looking for, thanks!

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28177.30.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:47:45 PM by StinkBait »

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »
I just started SUPing and I used a regular PFD the first few times but quickly became comfortable enough to switch to a belt pack PFD.  When I start trying more challenging conditions, I'll wear it again until I feel OK there too.  My point is that it probably won't get used much so a cheap PFD that doesn't get in your way is fine. 

Also, if you are in an area where USCG rules matters, make sure you get one with the certification printed inside.

StinkBait

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 06:51:04 PM »
I just started SUPing and I used a regular PFD the first few times but quickly became comfortable enough to switch to a belt pack PFD.  When I start trying more challenging conditions, I'll wear it again until I feel OK there too.  My point is that it probably won't get used much so a cheap PFD that doesn't get in your way is fine. 

Also, if you are in an area where USCG rules matters, make sure you get one with the certification printed inside.

Good thing you mentioned the USCG, I know for sure I'll be stopped since multiple Marine Patrol boats patrol the areas I kayak in, I kayak in the National Park areas and plan on paddle boarding in the same places. The Marine Patrol and Park rangers are always around since we have a lobster poaching problem, and with guys keeping undersized fish or more fish/lobster than what the daily bag limit is, so I expect having them cruise close to me while boarding to check out what I'm up too. Thanks for the heads up!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
Almost every outing I have either Police patrol or Coast Guard on my tail, sometime both. I'm never stopped though because they can see me from a far with
this PFD. By now they already know me so they just wave or give me thumbs-up.

The thing is, I don't wear the PFD on their account, I wear it because I'm always alone on the water so this and the leash are with me 100% of the time. Just
to remove any doubt and be responsible. The great thing about my PFD is that I don't even notice it anymore, it's more like an hydration pack with the added
benefit of flotation.
in progress...

StinkBait

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »
Almost every outing I have either Police patrol or Coast Guard on my tail, sometime both. I'm never stopped though because they can see me from a far with
this PFD. By now they already know me so they just wave or give me thumbs-up.

The thing is, I don't wear the PFD on their account, I wear it because I'm always alone on the water so this and the leash are with me 100% of the time. Just
to remove any doubt and be responsible. The great thing about my PFD is that I don't even notice it anymore, it's more like an hydration pack with the added
benefit of flotation.

Yup, I kayak alone mostly, and feel naked without my kayak PDF on, I get that same feeling when I drive and forget to put on my seatbelt, I feel naked until I put my seatbelt on.

Story time, about 25 years ago my good friend and I sunk a fishing flats boat far from land, we had the life jackets inside a closed hatch. We luckily had to only swim for what felt like a half hour before we were rescued by a passing boat, the only thing that floated was the cooler, and it floated away from us when we sank. I still wonder what would have happened if that boat didn't see us, it was almost dark when all this happened as we were coming in from a day of fishing.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »

Yup, I kayak alone mostly, and feel naked without my kayak PDF on, I get that same feeling when I drive and forget to put on my seatbelt, I feel naked until I put my seatbelt on.

Story time, about 25 years ago my good friend and I sunk a fishing flats boat far from land, we had the life jackets inside a closed hatch. We luckily had to only swim for what felt like a half hour before we were rescued by a passing boat, the only thing that floated was the cooler, and it floated away from us when we sank. I still wonder what would have happened if that boat didn't see us, it was almost dark when all this happened as we were coming in from a day of fishing.

I feel you. Though never had close encounters my self, our waters provide way too much work for rescue crews and sadly, search parties
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 06:20:50 AM »
S-B,   "after I get comfortable I'll be buying a fanny pack type Onyx M-24 and wear that instead."   Unless you have not spent much time out of the house, you may be overly estimating how long it will take to get 'comfortable'.  Assuming -you will have a leash– getting wet is wholly different from loosing your life; it's part of the fun ..the learning curve. If your iSUP is not 24" wide, it should be a remarkably stable platform.

I'd re-direct the funds spend on a quickly discarded PFD toward a paddle upgrade.  A paddle is in constant use vs. an extra PFD in the closet.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 07:56:13 AM »
S-B,   "after I get comfortable I'll be buying a fanny pack type Onyx M-24 and wear that instead."   Unless you have not spent much time out of the house, you may be overly estimating how long it will take to get 'comfortable'.  Assuming -you will have a leash– getting wet is wholly different from loosing your life; it's part of the fun ..the learning curve. If your iSUP is not 24" wide, it should be a remarkably stable platform.

I'd re-direct the funds spend on a quickly discarded PFD toward a paddle upgrade.  A paddle is in constant use vs. an extra PFD in the closet.

Jim

+1

I agree with the above post. It sounds like you already have a kayak, so that would mean you already have a PFD. Just wear your kayak PFD until you're comfortable on your board. It won't take that long. For what it's worth, you are following the exact same path I did. I also came from a kayaking background. The only PFD I bought with my board was a waist PFD. I am a decent swimmer however so I was never that concerned about falling off. I always however, wear a leash as one thing you don't want to happen is to get separated from your board. I will also go out on my board in the winter, and in those occasions, I will discard the waist PFD and wear my regular PFD that I would use for kayaking.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »
Vaicobi and Mocke lack USCG approval. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 08:15:50 AM »
Vaicobi and Mocke lack USCG approval. 

The Vaikobi has the equivalent rating of USCG type 2 PFD, if that helps.
in progress...

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
As someone who initially preferred a traditional pfd to a belt pfd, you can definitely wear the one you use for kayaking, but be aware that if it's thick, it can possibly impede getting back on the board after you fall off.  You get warmer much quicker in them too, as I learned the hard way. If you trust yourself to at least float, then go straight for the belt pfd.

Not that it helps at the moment, but this pfd is supposed to be released soon:
http://www.hyde-sportswear.com/

“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 08:46:14 AM »
As someone who initially preferred a traditional pfd to a belt pfd, you can definitely wear the one you use for kayaking, but be aware that if it's thick, it can possibly impede getting back on the board after you fall off.  You get warmer much quicker in them too, as I learned the hard way. If you trust yourself to at least float, then go straight for the belt pfd.

Not that it helps at the moment, but this pfd is supposed to be released soon:
http://www.hyde-sportswear.com/

I liked the Hyde but it is still inflatable. Not for me but i'm sure it's going to be a hit. if you wonder about the Vaikobi
limiting your re-baording or getting you warm, I can tell you it's does not. You can read my full review here:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28177.30.html
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:28:05 PM
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM