Author Topic: GoPro.........SUP Session's with Sam Pa'e  (Read 24896 times)

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoPro.........SUP Session's with Sam Pa'e
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »
Aloha Bob,
The new vids are all great Sam. Wish you had them on youtube too so I could include them on the kenalu playlist. Speaking of which....it would probably be a good idea to do that....Vimeo is great but you'ld get a lot more exposure for PRS on youtube.
I've never thought of it that way.......this may be something I'll consider

That shot in the air is just sick too...you just became part of my screensaver... ;D
That cool with me..... :D :D

Aloha......Sam

tumbledry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2009, 12:49:13 AM »
Aloha Randy,
Clean looking board Sam!
Love to see some rocker and fins shots as well.  Oh, and maybe it's time to update that Makaha backwash pop photo with a new one of you on this little board  :o

Well, I don't have an air shot of the small board.........but I do have an updated shot :)

I was kind of saving this for a rainy day.........But for you it's always a bright day...... :D

Aloha....Sam

That last shot (the landing)looks like there's smoke coming out from under your board. I hear the airplane tires screeching...Too cool!  ;D

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
Before I start...........I got some "GOOD" news & some "BAD" new

FIRST THE "GOOD" NEWS............
I finished editing part two of the 8'-6" Extreme Ripper. As you guys seen in part one that was just a test run to see what fin set up would work best with quads.

Once I dialed it in, this board is freak-in amazing. This board would hold it's own despite how much volume this board has (4-3/4" thick).

The editing really ain't that great.....I still need to learn more about this program. I tried to edit out some areas of me falling, but decided to leave it in......Just want show that even I fall.

All still pic's courtesy of Surfshooter Hawaii   www.surfshooterhawaii.com

Now...THE BAD NEWS
I went out to Maili Point today with my 7'-10" Short SUP. My focus was to do some video on this board since I don't have any. I was able to catch some pretty good size wave's. The water was calm, your classic glassy condition.

After an hour into this session I got caught by a bomb set and got worked fairly good. After the smoked had cleared......my gopro camera was GONE!

My camera was modified to a "vacuumed pumped" suction cup with a safety line duck taped to the board. I have done this many time with the other boards and have not had a chance to really see if it works. The suction cup took some really bad beatings from other sessions, but NEVER separated from the board.

So I used a zipp tie to attach my safty line that was duck taped to the nose of my board. Well the suction cup released from the board but it was the zipp tie that failed and the duck tape was still in tack.

I knew what I was putting myself into prior to entering the water......so I've licked my wounds and moved on. I just regret that I can't share my stoke with my fellow zoners...oh well I'll need to save money to get another one.

Hope you guys enjoy my last and final video......

Aloha......Sam

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 04:08:09 AM »
Sam,

I have a small piece of neon colored foam tied to my camera. I've had my camera ripped off the board a few times and with that tiny piece of neon foam I've been able to spot the camera bobbing on the inside.

Maybe you could try this. I hope it helps.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 06:58:43 AM »
Aloha Dwight,
Thanks for your thought......I do have a floater, but with the weight of suction cup I don't think it would have mattered.
Sam,
I have a small piece of neon colored foam tied to my camera. I've had my camera ripped off the board a few times and with that tiny piece of neon foam I've been able to spot the camera bobbing on the inside.

Maybe you could try this. I hope it helps.
I was thinking the safety line would be enough, not knowing the zip tie would fail. I should have used the floater for extra measure.........oh well live and learn.

Thanks anyway  :D

Aloha........Sam

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
I had this crazy idea of attaching a Go Pro cam to a Lobster bouy with a solid anchor and putting it inside and off to the side of the peak at a spot I surf. I thought of making a small staysail on the stick so the cam would stay pointed at the peak. Think this would work? Different angle for sure.   ;D

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 07:07:35 PM »
Aloha Tree,
I had this crazy idea of attaching a Go Pro cam to a Lobster bouy with a solid anchor and putting it inside and off to the side of the peak at a spot I surf. I thought of making a small staysail on the stick so the cam would stay pointed at the peak. Think this would work? Different angle for sure.   ;D

That would be a cool angle shot. You definitely wouldn't need to rely on a second hand to shoot photos of you. I think you may have a problem with the camera swaying side to side while each wave passes or have you already thought of it?

Just be sure that your equipment you constructed won't hinder other surfer's ability to enjoy there session.

Needless, it would be neat to see that angle.......post the pics when your done.. :)

Aloha......Sam

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »
Aloha Bob,
The new vids are all great Sam. Wish you had them on youtube too so I could include them on the kenalu playlist. Speaking of which....it would probably be a good idea to do that....Vimeo is great but you'ld get a lot more exposure for PRS on youtube.

OK....I made a video of one of my boards for you to use on ke nalu as you wish. Feel free to post.

I did another video (same board) on Vimeo with another audio but Youtube rejected it...... I needed to pick their music. Now this causes a bunch of headaches for me cause I can't edit to the length of time until I see their music......I'll stick with Vimeo

Needless heres the video.....Hope you enjoy!

Aloha......Sam

hi tide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »

howzit sam,
            that video got my vote. its a winner. i like the story of the board in its stages & then going out in the water.  8) that board look like it turns & surfs good. have a good paddling day.   
                                                                            hi tide out

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
howzit sam,
that video got my vote. its a winner. i like the story of the board in its stages & then going out in the water.  8) that board look like it turns & surfs good. have a good paddling day.
Thanks......I've always wanted to do a vid on this board. Everyone seen pics of it, but never in action. It really turns like a short board.

This board is hard to balance on but fun to surf with.

Aloha.....Sam

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:56 AM »
I got to meet up with the famous Streamroller here when he came home. And I must say that this guy not only rips on these inflatables, but he is funny!!!

We converse in conversation then we went out and surfed. I was honored that he got up on my board and practiclly rip the hell out it. He was snapping lips, drawing hard bottom turns, and pulling off floater and doing it with a smile on his face.

So we pulled out the GoPro, put it on the board and filmed. I think this maybe the first ever "exclusive" GoPro vid on the famous Steamroller and doing it on my board.........weehooo

In all seriousness.......I really enjoyed my time with Clinton. He a very nice guy, very open, & fun to be with. He's planning coming back home in September so we'll hook up again......

Take Care Steamer.........Until we meet again...Mahalo

Aloha.....Sam

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »
It's was requested in a previous thread and someone approached me at Makaha to see how this works. When I did this years ago it was just to keep with the sport while I was waiting for my new board. Yes it was a lame idea back then, but now it got me thinking.

Me and my ideas.......I think sometime I need to see a shrink!....  :o   ENJOY!

It was an idea I though of 2years ago. I never thought to much of it back then, but an idea has hit me that after doing this video........Anyone know's of a good shrink? ;D ;D ;D

Aloha.......Sam

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »
Sweet!! :D

Looks fun, can it improve your longboarding experience, or does it make sense just to either longboard or SUP?

Is the paddle kinda in the way while in the prone position..paddling.. going through the white water..ect.?

Is it something you want to keep experimenting with?

Did you get some funny looks from others... or are they use to you doing R&D?

Mahalo,

Randy

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »
thanks for that video Sam. i like the concept.

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
Waow!
Maybe I should try this too....
Nice Vid again Mr Pae.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger