Author Topic: Computer for gopro editting?  (Read 33350 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Computer for gopro editting?
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
I need a new laptop anyway. What would you suggest as an inexpensive computer that is capable of editting gopro movies?

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Computer for gopro editting?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »
I run windows. You can check the specs for the software but I figured out the version 10 of this and they are up to 12 now. This seemd to be the "go to" video editing software when I looked around. My laptop ain't no power horse and I am not a computer whiz. Windows 8 and 7 both worked. Says I have an AMD A8 on this one.  I do bump up the memory to 16 GB/max from what ever was stock/installed. 
You can find this, and previous versions all over online.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/features_en_US.html?&r=1

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
Laptop... nah...

You need the BIG screen!

I am a Mac guy... but can't afford new shiny Macs.

Heres' my Mac findings

My research on the same subject brought me to this conclusion
Macs that don't work well for editing = Mac Mini & Macbook Air... not good at it

MacBook Pro is the best Mac laptop for editing

My personal choice... which I don't have... and may never have
Older MacPro Desktop
2008 (3,1) 2.8 GHz 8 core system ... usually 750 Gig to 1 TB
$600 to $800 on EBay.... they are all coming off lease now... and hitting the auction block
Notice... this is NOT the 2.66 GHz

Then buy a 3 TB "My Book for Mac" external Hard drive ... $119 at Best Buy
You can load all you movies straight on to the "My Book" and edit from that drive... saves the Hard Drive on your computer for the other stuff... like the "Zone"

I'm editing on an older Mac Mini... super slow, and I can only do it cuz of the "My Book"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »
The most cost-effective choice is probably the late 2011 17" macbook pro. They don't make it anymore, you'll have to pick one up on eBay or Amazon. they go for a premium but you should be able to get the last model built for about $1500. Stock they come with 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 750 GB Hard Drive, 8x DVD/CD SuperDrive, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 17 inch LED-backlit display, 1920-by-1200 resolution, AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and a High Speed Thunderbolt Port

One fine thing about this model is that you can open it up with just the proper screwdriver.  Max it out with 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 900 GB SSD (solid state drive) and upgrade the internal HD to a TB or two. The SSD goes in where the internal DVD drive was, and you stick that into a case and make an external USB drive out of it.  That's what I did to mine. I'll have to buy a trashcan Mac Pro to have a better computer.

If all those specs scare you, find some geek to help you out. Do a totally clean install of Mavericks--I didn't, and I'm still fidding with permission problems. But she's a screamer. You can also replace both HD with SSD, but you'll be into some significant bucks by then without seeing much difference. But an SSD for the boot and application disk is an amazing thing. My computer cold boots in 20 seconds.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »
I need a new laptop anyway. What would you suggest as an inexpensive computer that is capable of editting gopro movies?

If you go the Windows route, just make sure to buy a laptop that has a fairly spiffy processor (i5 or above), and a video card with some power behind it and an HDMI out. A $10 HDMI cable to link the laptop to an HDTV is lighter and cheaper than a behemoth 17.3" screen, and most of us have 32" and above in our living rooms, so it's better than anything you'll be able to carry around with you. If you have one of the newer 'smart' TVs, you probably don't even need the cable.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
Here's an inexpensive, light, and slim laptop for $548 comes with AMD Quad Core CPU, 15.6" Screen, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows 8. You can buy two of these and be twice as productive for less than the price of one MacBook.

http://www.frys.com/product/7944610?site=sa:adpages page:P1_FRI date:013114
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:21:14 PM by SaMoSUP »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 05:30:58 AM »
It's not just the computer, its the software. iMovie is still the simplest and most powerful for the non pro and it comes free with a Mac. It handles .mov files native, without quality loss.

You also get iPhoto free too. Another terrific software package not available on an empty windows machine.

Consider what you'll pay for decent movie and photo software on a Windows machine and the aggravation of using it. Add that to your PC cost and you'll see you get what you pay for, nothing.

If you have kids, be sure to buy on the Apple Education web site for a discount. The refurb site also has deals, with full warranty.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »
Just to make a pitch for Windows.  I have been using a 3 year old Gateway SX2801 for editing. Yes it's a desktop but it cost $500 (then) and Moore's law should have ensured that most laptop's could handle the GoPro editing.  

With regards to software Adobe Premiere Elements it is all you need FOR EVERYTHING - Another $88.  

I was an Apple fan until I walked into my second job out of college (even as a contractor) with my Powerbook Duo and the IT guy took one look and said "You will use this!" and handed me a PC.  You can save the remaining $2,000 for a few extra boards and an electric bike, to the chagrin of Tim Cook and a few of my neighbors.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:05:46 AM by Beasho »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
I have to disagree DW. My Windows machine came with Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements both of which are pretty powerful and ridiculously easy to use. With Microsoft Office installed it was $700. That is not nothing. This is hardly a hot rod but it does everything I need at the moment. Biometric fingerprint scanner for login and passwords.......I hear the new Macbook pro are incorporating that this year.

I've used both Windows and Mac machines and software over the years. For a number of years side by side. The difference underwhelms me. I can do what I need to do on both. You trade off some ease of use and setup that macs give for lower price that windows offers. Macs have always pushed the envelope for graphics and creative, but windows is usually just slightly behind it if at all. Personal choice is all it is. But it's a lot cheaper to work from a PC pound for pound especially at the consumer level. If I was configuring a top machine for video editing without regard to cost it would be a Mac. Considering my wallet...Windows

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:33:26 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I have always had Windows and really want to stay with it. Not that I'm anti-MAC, it's st that once you get a MAC you need to buy into all things Apple. I want to keep using the software I already have.

Could I get by with something like this?

$499.99 After $50 OFF
Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop | Intel Core i5

Processor & Memory:
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor 1.6GHz
6GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz RAM

Drives:
750GB (5400 RPM) SATA Hard Drive
DVD-RW (Reads and Writes DVD)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 8.1

Graphics & Video:
15.6" High Definition (1366 x 768) LED Display with TrueLife™
Intel® HD Graphics 4400

http://www.costco.com/.product.100090984.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:52:12 AM by Tom »

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »
Tom
I just got my GoPro a few weeks ago... my hard drive is tiny... 120 Gig. It was filled in 2 weeks.

The reason I mention it...
I know I can run all my movie storage & editing on my external drive, so my 120 gig doesn't scare me.

750 Gig will be filled in a very short time. Just make sure you will have the ability to WORK from an external HD... not just store things on it.

My movies never even load into my Mac... they go straight to HD.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 11:10:26 AM »
For $100 more I'd go with this one below. You get 2GB more memory, 250GB more disk space, and you get a processor with higher clock speed 2.5 vs 1.6 GHz. For most video rendering software, CPU clock speed is what generates faster results whether PC or Mac.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100085179.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:12:45 AM by SaMoSUP »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »
If you wait a year (Apple) or two (Microsoft), you can probably edit movies on your watch. 

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
that sounds real close to the specs on my other machine. I know it's the same integrated video card and the processor seems close. It is a 3-4 year old machine now that I have.
I would consider what SaMo found for the 100 bucks more.
First thing I would do would be to max out the memory on any rig. Go to Crucial. Too easy.
Pick out a video editor software you like and you're set.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
. . .  my hard drive is tiny... 120 Gig. It was filled in 2 weeks . . .  
Hold the Presses. When I read this I want to forewarn about pre-cutting and tossing footage.

I have been making 'Videos' for 20+ years.  Reel to Reel and then non-linear (aka digital) for 15 years.  I have yet to fill up a 1 TB drive.  I have a rule which is the 5 second rule.  Anything more than 5 seconds is utter crap and no-one will want to use it.  Highlights ONLY.  

The trick was quick clips, then edit together add music and voila something interesting to watch.  If you are filling up your hard drives you are saving too much footage.  The GoPro may run a bit longer to make sure you might capture that perfect moment, or extended ride, hence more footage and data.  This means you should be culling your footage quickly after you take it.  

With all the cool new technology and new sports being invented I don't have time to wade back into 100's of hours of vintage 8mm, High8, DV or old GoPro footage.

Life is too exciting and meant to view forward with just an occasional glimpse into the rear mirror.

I don't think you or your heirs will want to crack that stuff open either.  I do have a plethora of old, edited videos and I have found that the best way to archive them is ON YOUTUBE.  Let them carry the cost of hardware, electricity, and back-ups.  

So pare down the footage immediately and then just share with us the sweetest bottom turns, glassy winter waves, hoots, howls and victorious body blows for which you have now / will soon become more famous.

For example here is some 20+ year old footage.  Once in the cloud I can show anybody, anytime on almost any device and just have to worry about Youtube losing it: White Squall

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:44:56 PM by Beasho »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]