Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553620 times)

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #960 on: July 21, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
Bill and/or JD -

I think I'm finally ready to take the Ke Nalu plunge.  Is there a Florida dealer other than the Ft. Lauderdale shop listed on your website?

It's my own bonehead fault for not planning, but I'm headed north out of Vero Beach on Thursday evening, probably stopping overnight in Jacksonville an my way to NC.  Would love to take a paddle with me or pick one up on the way. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 21, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
There's a bunch of new dealers that I have to get listed, I'm travelling on the east cost this week, but JD can set you up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 21, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
Outside, 

I just got a big shipment of Ke Nalus in and I am located in Jacksonville.  I'd be more than happy to help you out on the way.  Pm me and we can set it up.  Maybe even go out for a paddle if you have time.

One of Bill's new Florida dealers and happy users.

Mike

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 22, 2012, 04:36:12 AM »
Bill and/or JD -

I think I'm finally ready to take the Ke Nalu plunge.  Is there a Florida dealer other than the Ft. Lauderdale shop listed on your website?

It's my own bonehead fault for not planning, but I'm headed north out of Vero Beach on Thursday evening, probably stopping overnight in Jacksonville an my way to NC.  Would love to take a paddle with me or pick one up on the way. 

Thanks Old School... Yes; See Mike Deeny (above) since he's my newest dealer in the Jax area (and that relegates me to a low-life, starving Rep -  ;D )...       Paddle on;    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 22, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »
Thanks Guys.  I've PMed Mike and will give him a call tomorrow.  Hope the schedule works out that we can hook up.  If he also has a Larry Allison Gladiator fin for sale, that would be too perfect. 

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »
Anyone used a Molokai with an xtuf or the most flexible elite?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did...didn't like it. Too much flex for me with the big blade but it was mostly because I use my paddle a lot for balance and need the support and instant response. I went out on a bumpy choppy day with chest high waves and the flex was throwing me off as I tried to brace. It was really noticeable going out through the whitewater. I only paddled it for about 15 mins before going in and switching. I'd probably have a different impression if I had gone out on a clean day. My shoulders are good too so I don't need the relief the flex gives. Everyone's mileage will vary of course though. I'm sure some folks would love it. It's all so personal and the reason I tell everyone they need to demo if possible. If you can't demo but are looking for some shoulder relief I'd suggest the x-tufS or the 90 flex. My go to paddle is the Molokai with a 90 flex. I'm 6-4 265.

Stoneaxe - you're the same height as me.  What paddle length do you use?  I keep hearing from people going shorter and shorter, but my experience with shorter paddles has not been good.  I'm 6'4" and use an 88 inch paddle currently.  Plan on getting an extended ergo T handle so I can fiddle around with length.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 23, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
Wow, what a great thread! I started reading it this weekend after realizing I had left my current paddle (an Oxbow carbon one that was bundled with my first paddleboard last year) at the beach, where it was apparently expropriated by some needy paddler.  :(  After finishing reading all these posts just now, I'm convinced that my next paddle will be a Ke Nalu. Now to determine which one and where to buy!

Background/Use: I'm 5'8", about 175-180lbs. I paddle a 12' Oxbow Cruiser recreationally, lots of flatwater cruising and occasional small wave surfing up here in NH. I also do some downwinders on the lakes if there's a steady wind and I can bum a ride one way to the put in or take out point. I'm interested in doing some recreational class racing (going to try the one in Ogunquit next weekend) and maybe eventually try some longer distance paddles or downwinders in the ocean, but for the most part, I'm just out to get some exercise and enjoy time on the water, usually no more than 2-3 hours at a time.

Shaft Material: From what I've read in this thread, the XTuf(S) shaft sounds like the best fit for me. I like the lower price and extra durability of the XTuf, and the flexibiliy sounds like it will be easier on my shoulders and elbows, which tend to get sore if I'm paddling hard. I do rely on bracing with my paddle a lot for balance in choppy waters, so my main concern here is that the lack of responsiveness vs a Flex 100/90 might make me less stable. Any thoughts on this, or whether it's not an issue once I get used to it? Also, is there any disadvantage to a flexible paddle if I get into racing or longer distance paddles? I'm never going to be seriously competitive, so more concerned that it might tire me out faster or generally make racing or distance paddling  less enjoyable. Is the XTuf(S) a good all around shaft for the type of use I've described?

Blade Material: I'm looking to save money here, so either an xTuf or an elite 2nd, which are both similarly priced. The 2nds are actually a little cheaper and lighter, if I understand correctly, so I'm inclined to go with one of these unless the xTuf offers significantly more durability. Any thoughts on this? I kept an edge guard on my old carbon paddle and it survived without any serious damage until I lost it, but I'd rather not screw up the amazing hydrodynamics of my new Ke Nalu by putting an edge guard on it.

Blade Shape I'm really torn here between the Maliko and Molokai. The Molokai sounds appealing, because I don't have a fast cadence and generally feel best when I take big solid strokes that really propel me, rather than less powerful but more frequent ones. However, my impression from this thread is that the Molokai is more popular with much bigger folks or those surfing big waves, rather than a smaller guy like me who's mostly flat water cruising or occasionally downwinding or racing. So maybe with the improved catch in these Ke Nalu paddles, the Maliko will already provide a more powerful stroke than I'm used to with my old paddle, and the Molokai would be more than I need or can handle well? Definitely could use some advice on this, and maybe I'll just need to demo them both.

Where to buy: I think Bill mentioned Cinnamon Rainbows was going to be selling Ke Nalu paddles. Do you know if they've got them in stock yet? I'd love to try before I buy, and would by happy to get one soon rather than using my other taped up broken paddle any longer than I have to!  :-[ Also, are the Elite 2nds available from dealers or only direct from Ke Nalu? And is dealer pricing generally comparable to buying direct + domestic shipping? I'd like to support the local guys, but am already getting skeptical looks from my wife for suggesting that I need to spend $300 to replace the paddle I just lost!  ;)

Thanks for all the helpful posts in this thread already, and for any specific advice anyone can offer me!

Luke

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 23, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
xTuf(S) is a good, all around shaft, you won't notice the flex all that much since it stacks so quickly. For pure racers the 100Flex or 90Flex is the goto shaft, but recreational paddlers and certainly anyone with joint issues will love the xTuf(S).

2NDs are great blades, the Xtuf is a bit heavy for racing I think, but I'm a spoiled baby. If you whack rocks a lot get an xTuf,otherwise either an elite or a 2ND--assuming we have any seconds.

Molokais are great blades for people who like to dig hard. It's not just big folks, Devin Blish in Maui can't weigh 120 and she paddles a Molokai. It's all about cadence and style.

Cinnamon Rainbows is well stocked--at least they were last week. They have elites and xTufs, but no seconds. Dealers can certainly order them, but few do. Generally people who want an elite blade want the pure thing.

Get the wife into doing SUP with you. Then hand her a Wiki and watch her eyes light up. They feel pretty magical.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #968 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »
Old School...I'm at 86" for racing and 83" for surf. My arm length is about average I think but both my Vec 14 and my SoCo 9 sit low in the water. I also shortened up both a couple of inches recently. I may go back up and inch, especially for race/distance.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NHSUPSurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #969 on: July 24, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
I'm up here in NH, and am just about your same height / weight.  I just switched to a Ke Nalu Wiki... xTuf all around.  Currently at 81" lake, and 79" surf.  xTuf was great for me due to the fact I wack rocks  :D, and it is cheaper !

At North Beach in Hampton a lot, so I walk to CR.  Unfortunately, they didn't have Ke Nalu's a month or so back when I was looking to buy.  Went down to Surfari's in Manchester, MA.  Those guys are the bomb!  Demo'd the Wiki right out there door, then the Maliko, then the Wiki again.

If you read the entire thread, the one thing you should come away with is that there is no common ground!  120 lb. women with the big blade, 200+ lb. guys with the Wiki.   The Ke Nalu is definitely a different type of paddle... you absolutely MUST demo.  Not sure if CR is set up with multiple demos yet... if not, definitely hit up the guys at Surfari.  Nice ride from NH, good location, great service.  Good luck!!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #970 on: July 24, 2012, 06:42:59 PM »
Cinnamon Rainbows just got an order in. He had a few already sold but pretty sure he has a couple of demos available. I can hook up for a demo too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 27, 2012, 07:09:27 AM »
We dropped by Bob Fox's Matunuck Surf Shop a few days ago. what a cool guy, and super stoked on SUP. Classic surf shop EXCEPT instead of racks and racks of dusty longboards and shortboards there's a tiny clutch of prone boards and rack after rack of SUP boards. He sold nearly 200 SUP boards last year--in Rhode Island.

Great to have such a core shop, and such a knowledgeable and stoked guy selling our paddles. Diane had to drag me out of the place. I would have been there for hours just talking story.

Then we went to the Matunuck Oyster Bar or lunch. Place is a solid eleven. I had a mixed dozen cherrystones and oysters on the halfshell, a half dozen oysters rockafeller just for spice, and then fried oysters for entree.

Spectacular.

Built right on a tidal pond where they farm the oysters. Fresh? You think? They were restocking rack nets with smolt while we ate lunch.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #972 on: July 27, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »
You can paddle right over the oyster farm and really get a good look at the way he sets up his system, you just can't hang around too long over the beds or else their "security" boat does a little patrolling.  If you like oysters, which it sounds like you do PB, there's no better place in the area.  And Bob's shop is the go-to place in RI for SUP too, none of the other surf shops have the inventory, knowledge, or desire to promote SUP. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 27, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »
You'd think they'd catch on. I'd hate to try to make a living selling prone surfboards--no margin and no volume. I know a lot of surf shops are just clothing shops, I've been to some that have a half dozen boards for atmosphere, no wax, no leashes, and rows of lifestyle clothes. But a real surf shop that doesn't sell SUPs has got to be doing it for love 'cause they sure aren't doing it for the money.

I poked my head into a couple shops in Newport and just walked back out. No point in talking about Ke Nalu paddles in a shop that had no SUP boards. 

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 28, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »
I use my Ke Nalu paddle almost daily as a surf paddle.  Just did the Pilolo Channle paddle (27 miles) and I used the very same paddle.  Just used heated up the hot glue and pulled out the extended T....best paddle out there hands down.  My Kialoas and Werners all just sit there...thanks Bill!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again