Author Topic: Starboard Coastal Runner or Bark Competitor?  (Read 12023 times)

dogman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Coastal Runner or Bark Competitor?
« on: July 31, 2011, 05:04:34 AM »
Another one of those 'which board?' questions i'm afraid.
I am looking for a distance board that I can use in an estuary mouth or large bay.
I would also like to paddle rivers for up to 20 miles.
We have sandbanks at the mouth of the estuary which are approximately 1 mile out to sea. I have surfed the banks at 2-3ft + and would like to surf it on the distance board.
And just to throw something else into the mix, I would use the board for BOP type races a couple of times a year.
I live in Wales (the bit joined on to England) where conditions are usually choppy with large tidal ranges of 30ft. I previously owned a Starboard Point and am not looking for a board that excels at downwinders.
So, the bread and butter question, which board would you pick?
Any observations gratefully received.

Cheers

Dogman
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:37:00 AM by dogman »

dogman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Coastal Runner or Bark Competitor?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:46:17 AM »
Just remembered, I weigh approx 166lbs and height 5' 7". Have been paddle boarding just under 4 years.

Dogman

Essoxlupine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:51:21 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Bark for those conditions.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 06:17:07 AM »
You are comparing 2 different length boards.. ??? The Coast Runner is 14', and the Competitor is 12-6.  Maybe you should consider the Dominator in the mix. 

If so, then I'd say that would be your best choice - though the Dom has some issues ..  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=12615

The Competitor is built with Surftechs Tufflite construction, and probably doesn't suffer from the same potential problems.

Best thing would be to demo all boards concerned.  Just sayin'.

David S.

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

dogman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »
Hi Guys,
I do realize that the Competitor and Coastal Runner are different lengths. I'm open to the idea of either a 12' 6 or 14' board.
 I have read about the problems with this years Dominator and Competitor. I have read that Surftech might be sorting out the problem with the carbon base, by introducing a newer model.
I'm also open to buying the older Tufflite version of the Competitor and have been offered a shot on a friends board.
Thanks for the input.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
I would suggest, then, as I stated my last post, to paddle all the boards in question.
If you`re going to enter a BOP style race, you might be better off with a Competitor, as traditionally, BOP races are restricted to 12`6 or less...though this is probably only a matter of time til more categories are included. 

I own a 12-6 Starboard Freerace - a BOP style race board that`s been discontinued, and a 14`Coast Runner.  There is NO comparison between the performance of the 12-6 and the 14`board.  I believe you should check out Dave Kalama`s excellent site and do a quick search....he posted a very opinionated rant on the 12-6 class of board.... ;)

I have not paddled a Competitor, just the Dom.  I`m guessing that there might be a lot of Zoners that have paddled both......and I`m pretty sure most of them would recommend the Dom over the Competitor. 

Of course, all this is moot if you have your heart set on a Bark Competitor, and it`s the best deal......

David.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
As mentioned by others above, you might want to check the rules for the BOP races you plan to enter. And if you are considering a 12'6" board from Bark's range, then you simply MUST test drive Starboard's Race as well. At your weight and height, the 27" version would be great. It's a perfect little BOP board and it handles the flats well too.

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »
We did  some time trail testing of the Bark Dominatior 14' vs the Starboard Coast runner 14.
I'll try and attach results .
THe results of testing showed the Bark to be about 5 % faster in dead flat water with a race  fin(gladiator) and the bark owners on both boards.The starboard had the stock surf style fin and the Bark owners were  warned "Carbon board ,No Paddle strikes allowed".And complied with instuctions .Thanks Guys .
Both the testers Liked the float and stabilty and were looking for a more downwind type board.
The Coast runner in question is my Personal board and I gotta say I'm way stoked on it.
Yes I  paddled the bark and That's a very nice board too..But the rougher water the more I'd pick the Starboard .I my own completely biased  opinion.
Sorry Couldn't attach the file But 5% still 5%
About  5 minutes in a one and a half hour race ..That's a bunch!!
I dn't think either will be a mistake
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

Salish Salt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
Dogman,

I narrowed down to both Barks & the Coast Runner (paddled a Dom once, plus 3 other 14'ers) for salt water distance plus 1 or 2 fun races a year.  Ended up with the AST Starboard.  Figured I wanted a touch more durable & versatile 14'er with good glide vs. a flatwater $Farrari to handle with kid gloves.  Having a choppy summer and the CR is real fun (great secondary stablilty, can walk all over it, catches small swells, & way faster then my planning 12' board).  Sans pressure ding & flex warnings (thanks!) I may have gone w/ the Surtech Dom as it was available much earlier.
The answer to your question may depends on if the voice inside your head sounds more like a racer who tours or a randonneur who competes.
Note: the SB CR sticker says 284 Liters vs the 309 Liter SB Open Ocean
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:13:33 PM by Salish Salt »

dogman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 01:17:38 AM »
Thanks for all the information guys.
Regarding David's observations, I was reading Dave Kalama's thoughts on 12-6 class only yesterday.
That was one of the reasons I thought of going for a 14ft board.
With regards to BOP style races, the races in our area have been very casual friendly affairs with somewhat flexible rules. This has been due to lack of entries in the races.
I think Salish Salt's observations struck a chord with what I have been thinking, am I a racer who tours or am I a randonneur who competes?
I would say that I fall into the latter category, as most of my paddling is done on my own and I enjoy exploring bays and inlets when there is little surf.
Like most things in life , there is a trade off when making these decisions. However there is another option, get a 12-6 and a 14ft board. Only problem then would be my wife entering divorce proceedings on the grounds of unreasonable behavior. (I already have four other boards).
One final question, has anyone surfed the Coastal Runner in waist to shoulder high waves?

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »
Get both boards and just make sure one has a nice flowery pattern on it or something else your wife might like.  Break it out as "her new board".  Of course you get to use it whenever you want.  As long as you don't mind flowers:)

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 07:11:10 AM »
Coastal Runner will be better in rough conditions by a long shot.  The Bark will be faster in flat water but only by a tiny margin becasue its 12.6/  Much easier to compare Dominator 14' to the 14' Coast Runner.  YES I have paddled both (10 miles on a Dominator and 200 on the Coastal Runner)  The Dominator 14' is 10% faster in (glassy) flat water and 20% slower in 15-20 knot winds up and down wind.  The Starboard construction blows away the Surftech's.  And the cockpit where you stand is actually in the proper position where as the bark I feel that its way too far back. On the Bark's If your not at the front of the standing area with toes on the edge or just past the edge then your not benefitting from max glide.  The Coastal Runner has a lot more area to move around on the deck giving you more freedom.  If your going down wind at all the Coastal Runner should be at the top of the list.  OK my .02 on the matter
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

dogman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »
K1SUP,
The only time my wife goes near water is when she takes a bath or shower. If I bought a board with flowers, she would think that i'm just being in touch with my feminine side.

River,
Great information, amazing how a couple of posts can change a persons mind as to which board he should get!

bbarry

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »
I have the new construction Bark Comp and yes, you need to be careful with it as it is very fragile.  I am 60 years old, weigh 150# and have surfed for 47 years.  I have had custom high performance longboards (surfboards) and it ranks in that category with regards to compression dings.  But with the caveat, I have kept it in very good condition for nearly 6 months. 

Performance wise, in ultra glass I have tested it against the Dominator and found it 30 seconds per mile slower over a 2.5 mile course in two very different venues.   I also have a Starboard Pin and found it nearly a minute a mile slower than the Dom in glass. 

Having paddled several times in some fairly extreme conditions, and been in races where it is just mano e mano and board for board without regard for length or age I am getting a bit frustrated with a 12'6" and am shopping for a 14.   The Dom is out for previously spoken reasons.  The CR is high on my list.  Races in uber glass are rare unless of very short duration, chop seems to be the name of the game and it seems the CR and newer Starboards in general handle chop quit well.  I am also very interested in downwind capbaility as I paddle often in the Columbia River Gorge.

So, it seems that the speed of the CR in glass conditions is about the same as the Comp, or about 12 minutes per mile over a fairly sustained course.  How about the durabilityu.  Ihave heard the carbon Starboards are rock hard,  the savings of 4 or more pounds in weight seems a fair price to pay for the really significant difference in handling and wave catching.  Anyone have any comments on that....and what is with the longer posts here where you can no lonbger see what you type.  Seems to happen often.   thanks for the repsnose.  Bruce from Seattle

dogman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 11:37:12 PM »
Placed order for Starboard Coast Runner yesterday, should have it by the end of the month.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Dogman

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
Today at 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest