Author Topic: SUP Drowning Lawsuit Pending  (Read 11613 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Drowning Lawsuit Pending
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
If we didn't have to be so politically correct and really identified the reasons for most of these deaths it would be 1) poor to nonexistent swimming skills 2) obesity/ poor physical condition 3)  little to no practical water experience 4) under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. 5) dressing for air temp not water temp.

Anyone of these factors can kill you on a kayak, surfboard, SUP or small boat of any kind if you end up in the water, most fatalities probably have two or more in play.

I propose that an obease, out of shape non swimmer should not be on the water even with a PFD and a leash. How is a rental company to know? Give every potential customer a swimming test?  Get off the government mammory gland and take some personal responsibility. Wonder how many people have died because they were too proud to admit they had no business being out on a SUP/kayak/small boat?

As Dirty Harry said " A man needs to know his limitations"
I think you're especially right about the PC aspect--people aren't comfortable with hearing the victim getting blamed, even when victims bear much or all of the responsibility for their own fate, and even though pointing that out may save someone else's life in the future.

I do think many rental places need to take more responsibility--the good ones already do.   One thing that stuck in my mind was reading about an earlier drowning where the reporter said there was no information yet as to why the drowning victim fell off her board.  That's a crazy statement to any of us--we all know falling off is part of paddling.  But obviously not everyone knows that.  It shows how clueless renters may be.  If you believe you're not going to fall, so what if you can't swim? 

Rental companies do need to protect the clueless by taking some basic steps--like telling people they shouldn't rent if they can't swim, telling them that in high winds they won't be able to get back in unless they've got some experience, including leashes and pfds and telling people to use them, etc.  But unless they're extremely negligent, they shouldn't get sued when a customer drowns.  And I wouldn't want to see more regulations.  The result will be things like no more rental of boards on good downwind days, because it's too windy.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
I think one of the biggest problems to "newbies" is that the sport is perceived as "easy".
Do a google image search of Stand Up Paddling (go do it . . . I'll wait).

All you see are image after image of "healthy / fit" people in bikinis and board shorts in flat / tropical / warm water settings. 
it is these images that make all beginners "think" that the sport is easy. 
Just my 2¢
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
I think one of the biggest problems to "newbies" is that the sport is perceived as "easy".
Do a google image search of Stand Up Paddling (go do it . . . I'll wait).

All you see are image after image of "healthy / fit" people in bikinis and board shorts in flat / tropical / warm water settings. 
it is these images that make all beginners "think" that the sport is easy. 
Just my 2¢
Good point. It was all I could do to turn around and get back to shore the first time I tried.  Plus what a range of difference--I think it CAN pretty easy for anyone who's had some surfing/snowboarding/skateboard experience.  Or, since your balance skills build so quickly, for someone on calm water after not too much experience.  (But then put that same person who's started thinking it's easy in some rougher water, and they're back to being overwhelmed.)  Or easy for the little kid who weighs 60 pounds on a big board...So people see the images you mention, or other people out in the water, and get a false impression.  I bet a lot of drownings are first-time paddlers, and it seems like the reports bear that out.   

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »
Some of these drowning victims have been fit, younger athletes and just relatively fit people of all ages, so the fatties deserve a break in this conversation :) The underlying causes are generally very similar with almost all of the deaths, which should be the primary focus.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2016, 04:22:34 PM »
Some of these drowning victims have been fit, younger athletes and just relatively fit people of all ages, so the fatties deserve a break in this conversation :) The underlying causes are generally very similar with almost all of the deaths, which should be the primary focus.

I am only saying that the "image" of SUP is that it is easy - as the images show.  Do the Google image search I suggested and see for your self.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2016, 05:17:29 PM »
Oh yes. You mean like this? This looks easy.
   http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31006.0.html

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 06:54:25 PM »
You fall in and do not expect cold water - yeah it can zap whatever energy you think you have.  Even if a good swimmer.  Need a lot more education before newbs realize it can turn south real fast.  PFD and leash..  And be water savvy.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 07:00:50 PM »

I am only saying that the "image" of SUP is that it is easy - as the images show.  Do the Google image search I suggested and see for your self.

I wasn't targeting your post specifically and I agree with you. SUP is definitely made to look easy and most of the images are in calm conditions with fit people on the boards. Just pointing out that all demographics have been involved with SUP fatalities. Especially over the last year.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 08:12:48 PM »
Speaking of cold water immersion and another SUP tragedy. A 35 year old male described as being fit, a lifeguard and avid paddler, went missing while photographing wildlife on his SUP. I read in the comments that his board was found with PFD attached and officials don't believe he was wearing appropriate clothing for the conditions.

http://distressedmullet.com/2016/11/29/search-missing-mn-paddlerboarder-continues-fourth-day/

http://distressedmullet.com/2016/11/30/safety-thing-yall/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:32:04 PM by robon »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
"Most people who are unaccustomed to cold water will experience a maximum cold shock response somewhere between 50-60F (10-15C). For some individuals, this happens at 57F (14C), for others, the peak occurs at 52F (11C) and so on.

This means that an unprotected immersion in this temperature range will cause most people to completely lose control of their breathing – they will be gasping and hyperventilating as hard and fast as they can.

All of this can happen within five minutes time.  But you can lose the use of your hands and arms within 60 seconds."

Water temps were hanging in the 38F range.  Yeah -> that is very very cold.  Full dry suit with fleece might be a good idea.  With a full PFD and leash.  Most all the fatalities involve the paddler not wearing a PFD.  That should be the primary message.  Wear a PFD.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 11:09:38 PM »
^ I'm more for a leash rule. Certainly at least for good riders to wear one to set an example.

I’ve been falling in cold water my whole life. Personally I know with a leash to get me back to be board without effort I’m OK, without wetsuit down until water is solid. The whole difficult breathing thing is not immediate. Will it sting? Will I scream? Will breathing get tight? Sure, but I'll continue to function. I do it often enough..

Don’t get me wrong. I’d certainly advise someone who doesn’t know their reactions or isn’t accustomed to falling in cold water to wear their lifejacket. It already is a rule one must have one. I’m just saying for SUP I believe that stressing to have a leash on is more important. Always (except on river).

But we’ve discussed all that already.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
Yeah hear you.  We actually feel safer with a leash vs a PFD.  Our waters are around 7-11C all year and ok for a quick dip.  Much rather hop back on my board vs float with a PFD or try to swim 2 miles in.  Up in Squamish water temps are quite a bit colder and all windsurfers and kiteboards wear wetsuits in the summer.

http://squamishadventure.com/portfolio/squamish-kiteboarding/
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM