Author Topic: Help in choosing a new Race Board - Demo is not an option  (Read 5508 times)

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help in choosing a new Race Board - Demo is not an option
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »
This is my situation. I currently own a BIC Ace tec Wing, and i am ready to upgrade.

I live in Chile, a SUP paradise as you can see in any map, but SUP is kind of new specially the race aspect so not many options. I can only buy by catalog and wait 3 months for the container to arrive. Demoing is not an option so please do not insist on it.

I paddle 60% lake (flat water, chop, wake, downwind) and 40% coastal ocean. I am in decent shape and improving and can handle myself well in those conditions. The surf aspect is new and i am still learning, current board sucks in the surf.

I am 45 years old, 190 lb, 6 in tall. I think i can manage go till 27 or 28 in wide.

Brands i can order from here are BIC, Naish, Starboard and SIC i think. Price here will be double of retail price in the US.

Intuition tells me starboard allstar, naish javelin or BIC tracer.

I have no experience in a 14 feet board, but it is clearly an option.

So that is my dilema. I need to pick the right board, pay too much cash, wait three months and pray i will love it. More so, as it will be pricey the board will have to last many years, 4 to 5, so it has to be good quality and durable.

Recommendations or insights?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:39:17 AM by corrego »

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: Help in choosing a new Race Board - Demo is not an option
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
I can give you Naish Javelin insight, and you and I are the same age, height and weight.  I've owned both the 28" and 26" wide 2015 14' Jav LE's this winter.  Here is my opinion: the 28" wide has great volume at 285 liters, and is super stable. However it is a bit slow due to its width, but if you aren't racing maybe thats not a big deal to you.  The 26" wide is actually quite stable for its width, but at 250 liters, it was too low volume for my 194 pounds.  Unfortunately, it takes all my power to keep it planing and all it wants to do is sink.  Works great for Kai, because he's 145 pounds soaking wet.  If they had made the 26" wide Jav at 280 liters it would be a killer board for us "big" guys. 

IMO go with the Allstar before the Jav.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »
Thanks! Great insight.

So you recommend the 14' for me?

Is the 14' fun in small surf? Too difficult?

This forum is awesome.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
If you have the storage room, I would highly recommend 14'.  The glide is better, stability is better and it will be easier to find a board that floats you well, ie: more volume.  The only reasons I see getting a 12'6" is if you will be racing in races that require 12'6" only, or can't fit the extra 1.5 feet into your garage or apartment. Any waves you can surf on a 12'6" you can surf on a 14'. And you will catch way more bumps when you are downwinding.

But even at 190 pounds, which isn't huge, but its not light like a Connor Baxter or Kai Lenny, I'd try to find a board with volume well above 250 liters. I think folks pay plenty of attention to length and width, but not enough to volume. 

Good luck!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
Infinity 'whiplash' 14' is a great board that a lot the top racers ride. You can call and talk to them directly, and they will custom make -color and width and ship directly to you. Riviera 14' race boards also seem to be getting popular. I've paddled the Infinity and it's a great board in the ocean and flat water. My friend that I paddle with a lot had a Kings Elite 14' x 27", but thought it was a little too tippy in the ocean chop, so he got the Riviera 14' x 27" and really likes it in all conditions. I think the quality and one on one experience is better with Infinity because they make them in there own shop. Riviera's are pop-outs. As far as top quality and good designs, I think it's hard to beat Naish. But they are pricey!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

flathead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:22:21 PM »
Can highly recommend the tracer, well made, fast and stable to use. Can not compare to others as I do not have the experience of those other boards.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:25:15 AM »
Easy choice..  :)

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 06:36:07 AM »
If you're able to travel, why not  find a  SUP race near you. There should be demos available and possibly lightly used boards for sale. And lots of user   reviews.  A quick google search finds a Standup World Tour in Brazil later this month. http://www.supthemag.com/videos/the-ubatuba-pro-world-tour-and-world-series-events/.  I know it's the wrong side of the continent  but shipping should be faster than    2-3 months  and you'll  have a great time at the race.  Maybe even rent a board and compete!

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »
I like iop's advice. I'll also give a recommendation for the riviera 14x27. Really good in chop and fun in surf.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 03:12:01 AM »
If this was my choice, this is what I'd be thinking: The Javelin is a risk to buy unseen since it divides opinion. The Starboard AllStar seems to to be built with performance and price in mind, not durability, so if you want this board for 4-5 years then that might be an issue. I don't know anything about the BIC, but if you like your current board and the construction is good that might be something to consider. The SIC X14 is a great all-rounder, and you should definitely consider that. But get the SCC construction if you can. Going off your list, if you can find a Mistral M1 on sale somewhere that might be worth thinking about too, and also that old stalwart, the Bark Dominator, which is a design that has stood the test of time, especially since most of your paddling is inland.

But my overwhelming thought is: buy a 14, especially at your size.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 03:59:59 AM »
I like the Starboard All-Stars as a great all round board for lake and ocean. I'd also recommend a 14' over a 12-6 for your weight. The Starboards and SICs are made in the same Cobra factory in Thailand and whilst the Starboards used be super fragile they have got a lot lot better. I'd imagine that the Starboard will ding as easily as any other major branded race board so if you do ding it you'll either have to learn how to do your own repairs or find someone who can do it for you who does something similar. Our best repair place actually only repairs boats and dingies, but they do a fabulous job. As far as surfing race boards a 14' is going to be more of a handful than a 12-6 but if you're going out in conditions like these you'll have a lot of fun.

Watch part 1 of this vid for more info.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:05:39 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »
Thanks guys. Great advice. I like naish colors but I think it will be between allstar and bic tracer. I will go for the 14'

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
foiled again
April 25, 2024, 07:28:05 PM
B-Walnut