Author Topic: Fatness for the Holidays...  (Read 28748 times)

boardlady

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fatness for the Holidays...
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
PonoBill: fitness tracking is a great motivator, particularly for folks like myself who are a bit isolated. For a good example, do check out ConceptII, the erg people! They have a great app, where (if you chose to) you log your workout online, visible (if you chose to) to other ergers (or even on your facebook page). Whenever I really feel like I want to skip a workout, I may reconsider, because if I do, Jonny in Ohio will get on my case. We all need a little shove...
Eva

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
Thanks Eva. I didn't know about that site, looks like a good example. Daily Burn works similarly, but it's a bit complex.

Bill, the morning weigh in is a good cheat, more consistent. You tend to be somewhat dehydrated (but not too much) and you're empty. Afternoon is really variable. A pint of water is a pound.

If you want to graph your weight, then doing it consistently in the morning gives you better data. But yes, you're at your lightest and won't be there for the rest of the day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
I'm 60 and 6 feet.  Up till age 33 I was a vegetarian, at 160lbs (same weight I was when I grad high school) and surfed often.  At 45 I could eat all I wanted and still remain at 170.  Quart of Haagan Daz in one sitting blended with mangoes, no problemo.  But then it started.  At age 50, 180 still felt fine but then I really started slipping and by '07 I was 220.  Stacked on 30 lbs in 7 years!  On Labor day of that year I had an A-fib paddling down the coast.  No reservoir of confidence any more.  I knew I had to change.  Don't know if I'll ever hurl myself over the ledge with the abandon I had, up to even 10 years ago but I see some great role model pals of my who are very active in their 70's and now I want those years to be good for me also.  188 this morning... but you know the morning weigh-in is a cheat.  The real one is the end of the day.

SL- Just throw those things out.  It'll be liberating.  You know how when you go to a restaurant and the food is bad and you know it.  You don't eat it because you know you'll pay twice if you do and the price you pay with your body costs so much more. 
Shame on you Headmount!-there are starving children in China-or Nepal-or wherever I dont know but one should never throw aay a perfectly good chipwich! ;D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »
SoCal, I know you meant in jest but I've been to Nepal and those starving kids don't need our addictions.  Even starving, they can out climb all of us.  Which brings me to a good point.  The holidaz are so dangerous because we all run into friends and family who are so intent on feeding us like prize hogs at the county fair.  "You look so skinny" they say when you know you're 10-20 pounds over.  They have no criteria about the activity we do.  They don't know how much penalty we incur with 10-20 over ideal.  And if you got 30+, you're carrying the weight of an extra board downwind with you.  How's that??? Why do they do it? Maybe to justify their own eating habits by having you join them.  It's all well intentioned but you know in your heart that it's slowing you down.

Driving across the SW desert a boy sees a buzzard eating a carcass and asks his Dad why?  The Dad responds that the animal was the slow one and the slow ones get picked off.  The boy then asks, "How fast is fast enough?"  And that's your question isn't it?  How fast do you need to go?  If you're out on the lone prairie with the wolves and buzzards (an assumption if you are on this particular site), then fast enough ain't in the back of the herd.    Happy New Year and drive safe,  Bill

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »

What do you Zoners think about starting a weigh in only thread to make it quick and easy for tracking  progress, while this thread wanders between methods and mockery and, of course, encouragement?

I'm game SL. I use LoseIt to track calories, weight, exercise, etc. You can add "friends" and see each others progress. Anyone interested let me know.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 06:12:40 PM »
headmount-of course i meant it in jest-what no love for the starving chinese kids?
And man you have a really nice family!-mine has no prob telling me im "kinda fat for all that surfing youre doin!" ;D
Wish i was you in hawaii ringing in the new year-but id be asleep by 11 there too!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 07:01:03 PM »
11:00!!!  As if. I do well to make it past 8:30.

I just did my first P90X workout. The thought that there are 89 more makes me whine uncontrollably. I pretty much cheated on every exercise. Damn.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:03:17 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
PS, Two paddles yesterday off of the NC coast with the new 405CX GPS.  My 13 year daughter helped with the transferr to the PC.  Now if I can just get her on the board with me to read the smaller font for the disitance! 

Hey Dangerous,
Is that 405 cx waterproof?  I saw it at Costco yesterday, but wasnt sure if it was ok for paddling or not.  They sure dont market it for watersports.
Anyway...let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Rick

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
pono-if i did p90x i would b in bed by 7!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »
And man you have a really nice family!-mine has no prob telling me im "kinda fat for all that surfing youre doin!" ;D
No nice family.  Everyone is either on one side of the lake or the other and my dear Mom (who used to push food in large quantities) has long passed.  No my weight demise is from self-sabotage.  The main one being over eating.  Remember those starving kids we all heard about all over the world?  Well I heard that rap when I grew up and was drilled to always finish everything on my plate, no waste.  As exercise intensified I really started to stack those plates to the limit and the result was a stretched watermelon at the end of each meal.  My Mom used to tell me not to cross my eyes when I goofed around (often) that they might stay stuck that way for the rest of my life.  Well my eyes are worn out but not crossed, however my stomach is distended from over eating.  Now I'm making it a habit to eat as little as possible.  You can always do another mini raid on the fridge if you can't handle.  Shirley and I saw the Fighter (great movie) the other night with that kid Mark Walberg displaying his 12 pack at the end fight scene.  Shirley grabbed my arm when she saw that and her grip felt like a blood pressure test.  That's her fantasy but mine is to really be able to put the hammer down when I'm trying to get into a glide and that starts in the gut.

Dangerous Dan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »
Rick,

The 405CX is listed "water resistant" so I'm taking a little bit of a chance...Paddling flat water on Lake Norman, NC. Paddling pretty flat water off the NC coast, running, biking.  Plan to place it in the clear water proof pouch when down winding on the 14'6".

Last night, we did our traditional "Crawl Out  and Ring in the New Year" off of Ocean Isle Beach, NC.  I had the downwind board with me but felt like it would be best to stay on the "Magic Model" and catch the waves from a prone position.  I did take watch off for that..just wish I had that wool lined wet suit!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »
I've heard about P90x.  Sounds diabolical.  Here's my entry level.  A simple bar in the door jam (hope it doesn't fall off) and elbow straps so that I can isolate the abs and leave my tender shoulders alone until I paddle.  Gonna do a downwinder today even tho it appears light.  It's new years day and I figure with this program, I have to set a pace.  On the food front we connected with this incredible gardener who we buy from every week. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
forgot the pics again.  wine last night... ouch

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
nice headmount!- the fighter was a great flick-Christian Bale stole the show-i was blown away with his performance!
Last 3 days i average about 12-1500 calories-minus the minimum you burn just doin yo thang and a paddle and 45 minutes on the eleptical i am feeling good-down a few pounds already.
Keep it the paddlin and wash boards abs will soon by yours!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
So Cal, Yeah The Fighter was a pretty heavy movie for me to see.  All of us that have or had brothers know it ain't a road paved in rose petals but the bond is at the hip. 

Today was unreal.  Got a swim in to loosen up.  Glassy water.  Looked like no wind for the rest of the day and then it just opened up for three of us (Pono Bill) to have a very decent downwind run.  First day of the year... what a way to start.

Southern Cal looked off the charts as well.  There's a post by Iceman in General D called SoCal new years eve.  Stunning pic with the snow behind the harbor.  WOW. 

After dinner weigh in is 190 which usually means I'll have 187 in the morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal