Author Topic: Fatness for the Holidays...  (Read 28801 times)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Fatness for the Holidays...
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
so jealous you can just go for a swim in warm water!-paddled out at creek in 1' low tide fold overs-oh well-burned some calories.
Long range shows some swell finally coming so cal way this week!-cant wait-has been swell drought here for weeks.
Oh yeah then tommy Lloy paddles out on his signo model 7-9-flies down the line and does carving 360s!
That kid is amazing-had a couple of his friends out with him and they climbed on his board and tried to stand on it!-Hilarious!-
May you continue shrinking!!! ;D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
I need to track down the lady I met early last summer and see what she has done during her life to remain as vital as she is. I imagine a big part of it is genetics but she HAS to be doing it right. 86 years old and paddling into a stiff headwind like a fiend and when I 1st saw her from 100 ft or so away I thought she looked hot.... :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
I need to track down the lady I met early last summer and see what she has done during her life to remain as vital as she is. I imagine a big part of it is genetics but she HAS to be doing it right. 86 years old and paddling into a stiff headwind like a fiend and when I 1st saw her from 100 ft or so away I thought she looked hot.... :o
I was in the locker room at the U.S. Masters Swimming National Championships one year and there were two swimmers in their 90s talking.  One guy said, "How's your girlfriend?" and the other guy said, "Which one?".

Marcelo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
I just saw this thread and will go back and read it from page 1 but mean while, This is a site i have been visiting and following the way of eating.

"marks daily apple dot com"

For the last 13 weeks i have been eating this way (no sugar, grains, processed food) and have never felt better in my life.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
I just saw this thread and will go back and read it from page 1 but mean while, This is a site i have been visiting and following the way of eating.

For the last 13 weeks i have been eating this way (no sugar, grains, processed food) and have never felt better in my life.
Marcelo--thanks for that link.  There's a lot of interesting info on it.  Some of his (Mark Sisson's) ideas are pretty wild about diet and especially exercise.  I'm looking forward to reading through it more. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2011, 08:41:17 PM »
I'm staying off that weekly weigh-in thread.  I'm pretty happy with my weight, but I'm hoping to gain a couple inches in height by summer.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
Posting here as not to clutter up the "weigh in" thread...

For those of you wanting to track calories, I just wanted to 2nd the recommendation to use the Livestrong.com site/app.  It made entering my food very easy and had a better database than the Loseit.com site.  I think the app was a buck or two, but you can use the website for free.

2 other iphone apps that I love:  
Interval Timer Pro - Great timer w/iPod control within the interface.  Don't confuse it with the app "Interval Timer", it works, but not nearly as well.

Runkeeper Pro - great GPS distance tracker that recreates your route on Google maps. I use it for running and paddling.  Access tunes from your playlist and it will notify you of distances as you go, etc.  I bought it a year ago, but the Pro version was free over the holidays.

I did a short kettlebell, jump rope, TRX circuit today and I can already feel the punishment from the kettlebells to my legs.  It sucks getting back into things.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:08 AM »
I have always wanted to start a kettlebell routine.  But I do TRX and damn does it kick your ass.  I have the fatness under control.  I just need to build some muscle.  Have a local trainer here in Tampa at the gym I go to that is a SUPr and he tailors a program to paddling.  Pretty cool.  I really want to hook up with him.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
I have always wanted to start a kettlebell routine.  But I do TRX and damn does it kick your ass.

The kettlebell and the TRX are amazingly simple and super effective.  I have a couple 26lb and 34lb kettlebells.  Just doing the swings alone works legs, abs, shoulders and give you a decent cardio workout.  For my size, many recommend a 50#+ bell, but the 34# gets the job done for me.

Check out Mike Mahler's site if you feel like taking on a muscle building routine on your own: http://www.mikemahler.com/

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
Holy Cow Bill (Boyum)... were you holding a dumbbell at the initial weigh in or are you just kicking as*?

BTW won a huge, huge, huge, huge motion today... and DID NOT stop off at Starbucks on the way home for a celebratory chocolate chip cookie!  Little steps...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
Holy Cow Bill (Boyum)... were you holding a dumbbell at the initial weigh in or are you just kicking as*?

BTW won a huge, huge, huge, huge motion today... and DID NOT stop off at Starbucks on the way home for a celebratory chocolate chip cookie!  Little steps...

Tim
Good thing about the cookie.  I cut those out, too.  Much better to stick to the venti mochas or frappucinos.  And use full-fat cream per PonoBill's diet rules about dairy products. 

I also just realized you can buy a metric scale and cut your weight in half instantly.  They guys from Australia and Europe have a real advantage in this weigh-in stuff. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:58 PM »

I also just realized you can buy a metric scale and cut your weight in half instantly.  They guys from Australia and Europe have a real advantage in this weigh-in stuff. 

British imperial can also take the biscuit.

I'm chuffed at 9.2 link, 13.5 stone.   :)
Support your local shaper

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
Bugger!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
Out of the last 6 days, four have been downwinders and the other two days were long swims plus work.  No cookies for me either.  Then if I obliterate myself I can just fall asleep early.  Surf has been smallish here with only 4-5 foot sets.  Pipe is bombing.  Too west for Maui... we get blocked by the other islands on the west swell.  But yeah I'm feeling better and faster to my feet.  Almost like days of yore... almost.

Marcelo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

Marcelo--thanks for that link.  There's a lot of interesting info on it.  Some of his (Mark Sisson's) ideas are pretty wild about diet and especially exercise.  I'm looking forward to reading through it more. 

Mike, i have been visiting his site almost daily and there is still a lot of info to be found there... giving up on grains and sugar seems radical but it does make so much sense!

I have been experimenting with different ways of eating for a very long time, from regular 3 meals a day to eating every two hours, from high carb to low carb and it all seemed like a full time job.

Constantly thinking about what to eat, when to eat, how to eat, where to eat, etc...it's really stressful and quite hard to keep at it for a long time.

These days, I eat anywhere from 1 to 3 meals a day, i experiment with intermittent fasting and have more energy than I have EVER had in my life.

I'd definitely recommend a 30 day trial, if there is no change, no harm done since you're eating all whole foods.   

I also like to visit Mark's favorite sites (links) and " Lean gains dot com " and " the lean saloon dot com "

The last two sites "owners" are more into bodybuilding but their diet philosophy made a lot of sense to me and all 3 sites have a lot in common.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard