Author Topic: Coast Guard responds to HPWA request for vessel reclass w/ back of hand  (Read 26583 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The HPWA is going to think about this for a day or two... but to receive this level of response to our request for a vessel reclassification... is just an [expletive deleted] insult.

It is basically no more than a form letter response to a phone call from a grouchy old man who complained that the USCG helicopters were too loud going over his house.

I am really, really pissed off.  Good decisions are usually not made when really, really pissed off.

Just thought I would share with you the USCG's eloquence, or lack thereof.

Note, it is signed by the same individual who penned the original vessel classification memo...

The beginning.

Enough negativity... off to the the law library!  (I know, it is all on-line now... but that sounds cool... kind of like Superman or something...)

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Coast Guard responds to HPWA request for vessel reclass w/ back of hand
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »
 I do not blame you for being upset, Tim. That just plain "SUCKS A POPPYCOCK"!   Later, JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »
Tim, don't get your Irish up just yet. This is only round 1.  I think one Mr. Hoedt is about to get his lifestyle kicked in the form of some heavy paperwork coming his way.  He may need to familiarize himself with the USCG code.  We can do this the easy way or….
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:37:03 PM by Chan »

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »
Chan, classic...

Except that Fry is the good guy and Hoedt is the bad guy... I sure hope that I made this clear to my Italian friends earlier today... I'd better make a quick phone call...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:40:16 PM »
Got it.  Read it again.  I don't know why I had the other name stuck in my head.  :)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:40:29 PM »
I think one Mr. Hoedt is about to get his lifestyle kicked...
If the Zone can change the English language in a day, we can certainly change a regulation or two.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »
Tim--obviously a letter saying the Coast Guard was changing or reconsidering the rule would have been best.  But short of that, a one-line dismissal with no reasons is probably the next best thing.  It means either 1) you got his attention, and he couldn't come up with any justification for the denial, which proves their case is weak, or 2) he dismissed your request without any thought, which makes him and the Coast Guard open to charges of being unfair and incompetent, and vulnerable to pressure from outside. 

It could be a combination of both--he's not as smart as you, and even if he was, he wouldn't have the facts or logic to back their position.  He only dismissed you because he can--at this point--and also because he really didn't have any other alternative, other than agreeing that their position is wrong.  And he sees no reason to do that at this point.  If he were less bureaucratic, he might be thinking of what actually makes sense, and how it could be in the Coast Guard's as well as the public's best interest to make changes, rather than just doing what he thinks is most likely to get him out of the office by 5 PM.   

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
bummed-but not suprised at all.  >:( :o ???
Just means we have to work harder as a community of paddlers.
Everyone should think of how they can get involved-get some more petitions signed-get a stack to your local shop-bring it up at your local city council-bring it up at your next surfrider meeting etc..
Beyond just donating to the HPWA-which everyone who has a paddle should have done so by now.
Most of us (Not all) need to step it up a bit more-it will be a long fight and in the end its too tough to say how it will hash out but its important not to get discouraged with this last response and just keep fighting!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »
Here's the HPWA link once again:

http://www.letspaddle.org/membership.php

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
Good call Chan! ;D
All this supping in the nasty OC waters must have gotten to me!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
I did see that Mr. Hoedt did say to not hesitate to contact him if you had any questions on the paddleboard issue. 

The obvious two to me are 1) WHY did you decide that the vessel designation was still appropriate, given the many arguments against it, and 2) regardless of whether a paddleboard is a vessel or not, why not require leashes instead of pfds, given the many reasons why that makes more sense?

I'm certainly curious about those answers.  Would it make sense for people to contact him individually?

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
Mike,

I understand that the individual involved is not amendable to such persuasion as Mr. Fry had spoken with him on several occasions and understood that he was on board with our concerns... just as the knife was being thrust into Mr. Fry's back.

Instead, I have prepared an FOIA request to determine just exactly what documents, statutes, case law, federal regulations, or whimsy the USCG relied upon in reaching its decision as Mr. Hoedt did not have the common (or professional) courtesy to share this information with me. 

The FOIA request is going out tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tim

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 05:00:45 PM »
Nice Tim- i think inthe USCG case, the I should stand for Ignorance!

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
Thanks Tim! Interested in seeing what happens...

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
Normally I hate FOIAs (I have been on the receiving end of them and Congressionals), but in this case I can see how it will light the fire.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal