Author Topic: Fear of flying to Orlando  (Read 2921 times)

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Fear of flying to Orlando
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:39:08 AM »
People keep asking me if I'm heading to the expo, and I say I can't, "got the kids, too busy, not enough time" etc., but the truth is, I'm just scared shitless of getting on a plane.  I realized this when I told my wife about the expo and suggested we coordinate our vacation next year around it and she asked why I didn't just go this year. 
It actually looks pretty damned feasible and so now the only thing stopping me is the possibility of an engine falling off at 35k feet, titanium skin peeling back in minus 40 temps, terrorist explosion, flock of geese in the flight path and a million other statistically unlikely, but nevertheless terrifying eventualities. 
So, in an effort to thwart the God's of jinx, I am posting that I am a scared, little man and that fate has nothing to prove in this particular instance.  It better be warm!

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of flying to Orlando
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
statistically you are more likely to be killed driving to the airport
than in the plane

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »
^^^^ Yup!

You actually have a better chance of getting killed by a vending machine falling on you the in a plane.  (true)
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
Then drive your car there.
--
Bill

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:45:51 AM »
 Raf; get the f*@k on the plane and go! Once you get to Orlando safe and sound, then think of the possibilities...       Later,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »
Rational fears, phobic reaction to them. Statistics don't matter much, we fear things when they:
--Are out of our control
--Happen to a lot of people at once
--Have a mysterious aspect

Hard wired into us. But it is unreasoned. It helps to know that, I think. Airplanes fit all three characteristics. You are MUCH safer in the airplane than driving to Florida. There are no bluehairs headed the opposite direction with 20/300 vision and a propensity to confuse the brake pedal with the accelerator. But because you are in control of the car (sort of), any accident would only involve a few people at a time, and there's no mystery, you feel safe.

We make stupid decisions based on that hardwired characteristic all the time. We're scared stiff of nuclear power but comfortable with coal. We're not concerned about global warming but a hurricane or tornado is terrifying. The list goes on and on.

Nut up, get on the f*%&ing plane.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

trailertrashed

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
When you get here, I'll give you a band-aid for that giant axe wound between your legs.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Lol at Trailer. 

I'll pop a few valium and hope they wear off before the big show.  Otherwise I'll end up with a shop full of rainbow colored, sparkly boards that surf like 2x4s.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:15:38 AM »
So, can us non-retail dudes attend this show. Here I am in the market for a new unlimited style board and I live a little more than an hour from the location. Yikes!  Bet I could see some ish there huh?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
I agree with Bill. But here's my take, not that any of you care.

Fear has ruled me my whole life until I got some tools. The best one? Having some sort of higher power that is running things. It's not really in my hands so I'd better just enjoy the ride. I can think of 10,000 times that I should have died, but didn't. It wasn't in the cards that day.

I'm always surprised at the people who have a concept of a God,  and have what they call "strong faith", and yet can't turn the smallest details of their life over to that "God". Seems like that's a lack of faith, but if you say that they'll scream and maybe punch you. ;) If you have faith, bring it into the moment. Which brings me to...

Being in the moment. The "Now" is seldom really bad. The past might've been and the future and what could happen can seem really bad, but "now" is mostly pretty good for most folks.

I'm on my couch, it's warm, but at any moment something could go wrong, but it isn't now. The present is good and I can't do a thing about the future so I'll just stay here and live this moment instead of running down the 50,000 things that could go wrong... but probably won't.

Weird example:

I hated dentists all my life. Finally, as an adult I went to the dentist and just focused on what was happening in that moment. Ya know what? Modern anesthesia is pretty good. Other that maybe 10 seconds of actual pain, I had mostly a weird feeling, some noise and vibration. Nothing that bad, once I was in that moment instead of in my head thinking of how bad it might be.

The reality was fine, my head was making the experience horrifying.

Thanks for sharing your real feelings and I hope this made sense to someone but if not, it's worked for me, and that's enough. ;)

Mahalo

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Its not a rational fear.  Bill hit it pretty well on the head, its lack of control plus the magnitude of the supposed disaster.  I'm fine on 4 seater planes.  I've even sat copilot a couple times on single engine island hoppers.  Its the big, 150 seat plus planes that terrify me.   

The only way I can manage it is to accept the fact that I'm going to die (with the help of pills), and then be pleasantly surprised when we land in one piece. 

And yes, the show is only open to retail/industry folks :(

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
I learned about ten years ago that Nitrous Oxide turns a trip to the dentist into a mini-vacation. I have a deal with my dentist--I show up for regular cleaning and dental work, he has plenty of Nitrous. "Nitrous Oxide for a teeth cleaning! How absurd" people say. Yeah? Well do you enjoy having your teeth cleaned?

I do. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
Surfcowboy--those were some really good observations.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »
Thx mike. I test them daily. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal