Author Topic: Ear protection  (Read 5436 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Ear protection
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
I've been in saltwater doing my thing, in various forms, for about 50 years now, and about 18 years ago I was diagnosed with the dredded 'surfers ear'.  I was given a choice, get the rotor-rooter job, or arrest the condition.  Having many friends who got the roto-rooter job only to have the condition return, due mostly to ear protection neglect, I decided to arrest the condition, ie. no more water gets in the ears.  I tried every plug on the market, every one!  Sorry Doc, your proplugs suck also, no solid seal.  But I found, with the advice of some surfing hardcores that live and surf at 'The Ranch' just north of Santa Barbara, the purfect plug.  Good old fashioned Silly Puddy, that's right, Silly Puddy, in the egg, and not any knockoffs like Funny Puddy, it melts, but the real thing, it has to be "Silly Puddy"!  I use about 1/4 of it in each ear, it bonds to the skin for a great seal, and then it is easy to remove, there is nothing like it.  It will start to break down and become kinda slimy after about 75 to 100 go-outs, depending on water temp, but then it's just time to get a new egg, too easy!  Since I've been using it, I've had no problems with my ears, none!
Just trying to spread the 'healthy' love.
P.S.  The flesh colored lasts the longest, and stay away from the color changing kind, it wears out the fastest.................... trust me, tried them all.
It takes a quiver to do that.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
Re: Ear protection
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »
Great tip and great thread.  I have many friends that have had the roto rooter ear job too.  They are all whitewater kayakers and I too have 90% closure in both my ears.  I have arrested the advancement with some custom fitted ear plugs from an ENT Doc.  The brand name is Starkey and they run 40/pair.  I have 4 pairs so if I ever loose a set i can always grab a spare set.  They have to pull an ear mold using a special quick set material that they squirt into your ear.  I get a great seal and they actually keep me warmer.  Minda weird but its true.
Cheers
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »
Hey river.  Can you still hear out of those plugs?  I currently use the Doc plugs and like them because I can still hear stuff. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »
Intersting thread, particularly because I only have one ear that works and would like to maintain it. Doesn't matter to me if it blocks hearing or not. I can't hear when I'm in the waves anyway. I need to get some silly puddy. Thanks for the tip.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:58:14 PM »
Hey thanks for the tip was useing silcone plugs water does get by, I will give the silly putty a try and pass the tip on.Then I'll by stock In Silly Putty.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:15:31 PM »
Yes I can still hear OK with the Starkey customs but not great.  Better than silly putty I think, but really I dont care to hear too much if I can surf for more years w/o getting the roto rooter treatment.  My ears are STOKED
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

gkona

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
I've been using Mack's earplugs(the soft purple ones)for the last few years and for me they are the best. They are inexpensive and I always keep a few extras in my boardshorts if one falls out(which rarely happens). I grew up surfing year round on Nantucket Island,MA, and my ears are pretty bad but since i've started using the plugs I haven't had the problems I used to deal with constantly(ear infections, etc)

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »
Nice.  I think that since I've been surfing in cold water my ears can't handle it.  Looks like I'm going after those purple Macks to try this weekend. 

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »
this topic hits close to home because i posted one effective solution to this issue under a thread called acid wash in the techniques section.

since then my own investigations into biofilm research has evolved into more effective compounds to prevent bacterial growth. came up with some interesting formulations which seem to cause minute changes in skin structure (grippier when wet) as well as adding resilience to the surface cells which are more prone to stretching and drying thereby minimizing areas of attack. the most effective application is atomization into the atmosphere, such as spraying it onto the spigot of a steam shower, but i'm also experimenting with nettie pots which are like mini tea pots to direct steam into an orifice such as the nose and ear canal.

some of this work has incurred interest with researchers at the universities because unlike the standard strategy of killing the bug, i employ tools to encapsulate and disable them from natural products as old as the trees.

i continue to use a small spray bottle of vinegar as a disinfectant when coming in contact with questionable liquids or surfaces but do believe that with all the pollution and antibiotic resistant variants we deal with today... it wouldn't hurt to do something else.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal