Author Topic: Initial impressions: Starboard 10'5"x32" wide point  (Read 13456 times)

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Initial impressions: Starboard 10'5"x32" wide point
« on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:39 AM »
Got out my new Starboard 10'5" x 32" Wide Point last week and so far this board has been everything I had hoped it would be! Took it out for the first time in solid waist high beach break surf, steady 20+ knot winds in my face and 15 degree air/46 degree water temps...NICE!

I opted for the brushed carbon "Shroud of Turin" build  ;D figuring a board this size could certainly benefit from the lighter weight construction and I noticed the difference immediately paddling out how it seemed to jump forward with each paddle stroke, glide in a near straight line and cut nicely over and  through the broken white water.

Once I figured out a good takeoff point, it was no effort stay up, move back and forth, spin around and jump on the first wave that came by. Not my usual late drop or ill-timed chaotic entry but a clean and smooth early pick-up,  gaining speed with each paddle pull and BANG! I'm on! Could not believe how fast I got down the line and how easy it was to dig an edge and hold it to turn! The stability on the wave was excellent as I could swing the nose of the board around effortlessly. I never thought I could surf this well!(well, that is to say, for me...I do have much to learn). Even with the stiff offshores I caught way more waves than I missed and had an amazing first session!

These are first impressions and I can say with confidence this design in the brushed carbon appears to be a great fit for me and in performance, construction and looks delivers every bit as advertised. More Later.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Initial impressions: Starboard 10'5"x32" wide point
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »
Any problem with the nose rocker, in the pictures I've seen it looks like it doesn't have that much nose scoop.  I haven't seen it in person or rode it, so this could just be the way it looked in the pictures. Just curious.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »
I think it has a generous amount of nose rocker that my photos don't show. Really helped going over the white water!

Any problem with the nose rocker, in the pictures I've seen it looks like it doesn't have that much nose scoop.  I haven't seen it in person or rode it, so this could just be the way it looked in the pictures. Just curious.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »

hmmmm...go figure...I thought the pics that I've been posting show the nose rocker pretty well...;-)

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/12/starboard-105-drive-vs-105-wide-point.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/12/starboard-2011-sup-eye-candy.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »
Looks ideal in just about every way, but I have a concern!

Doesn't look to me like that nose would lend itself to nose riding at all. On a 10ft5 board I would like to be able to do some noseriding and cross-stepping as well. I'm hoping to be told I'm  wrong here ...

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »
cross-stepping yes, nose riding no. Really got the most out of clean waist-high this morning felt like spring 38 degree water NICE!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
Hi Garrick,
Stoked you are getting some winter sessions up there on the carbon 10'5" WP...
I snagged one myself out of our last shipment now that we have built up a few in inventory...
Great board...I'm riding it with 5" fins all the way around and it sure is loose for it's size...

As to it's noseriding ability...not a 10 over kind of nose rider for sure...that would be the 10'5" Drive...but, if you have noseriding skills you should certainly be able to get up there...bottom pic of attached I'm getting a cheater 5 on a 6'2" shortboard...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
Thanks guys.

I guess it's not the ideal noserider shape, but then I figure if I can manage to get my toes to the nose on a 9ft x 23 longboard . I should be able to get it done on a 10ft5 x 32 sup, even if the nose shape isn't ideal ...

All other reviews just seem to sing its praises over the Whopper and Drive, this was just the one aspect that would put me off.

Hope to give one a demo down in brighton soon !!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:36:12 PM by apieterse »

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
Ha! Did not know "cheater fives" technically count as a nose ride!Even with my limited skill set they have been part of my repertoire so Yes! I stand corrected. This board is nose-rideable.

Brushed carbon loves the cold.

5" fins all around? Including a 5" center? You've got my attention....

Hi Garrick,
Stoked you are getting some winter sessions up there on the carbon 10'5" WP...
I snagged one myself out of our last shipment now that we have built up a few in inventory...
Great board...I'm riding it with 5" fins all the way around and it sure is loose for it's size...

As to it's noseriding ability...not a 10 over kind of nose rider for sure...that would be the 10'5" Drive...but, if you have noseriding skills you should certainly be able to get up there...bottom pic of attached I'm getting a cheater 5 on a 6'2" shortboard...

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:44:51 AM »
hey wardog -- can you still get down like that for a cheater 5?  me, that's about 30 years in the past  :'( .  sigh.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »
hey wardog -- can you still get down like that for a cheater 5?  me, that's about 30 years in the past  :'( .  sigh.

Hi Erik,
No problemo...the other day riding my Jammer I had one of my most laid back laybacks EVER...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Ha! Did not know "cheater fives" technically count as a nose ride!Even with my limited skill set they have been part of my repertoire so Yes! I stand corrected. This board is nose-rideable.

Brushed carbon loves the cold.

5" fins all around? Including a 5" center? You've got my attention....

Dood,
I'm claiming a cheater five as a nose ride...way forward trimming the front 1/3 of the board with toes over...equals nose ride in my book...;-)

Here's what 5"ers all around look like...also, with a 6.5" center with 5" sidebiters...see attached pics...

Rainbow Fins is just finishing up a new production run of my fins...just added the 7.5", 8.25", 8.75", & 9.25" with bamboo cores...more sizes coming...next run is my 9" and 9.75"...

http://surfingsports.com/wardog_fin_designs.asp

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/10/bamboo-core-sup-surf-fins.html

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal