Author Topic: Took the Starboard Pocket Rocket and Tiki out for a demo.  (Read 28007 times)

spleeft

• Malibu Status
  • Loving my new Pocket Rocket!
    • View Profile
    • Marshall Movies webtvblog
Re: Took the Starboard Pocket Rocket and Tiki out for a demo.
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
I have the TAC construction. I love the look, and more importantly, the feel and response of the board. But I am concerned about the heal dents, and cracks around the handle, this after about 20 hours of use. I've sent pics to my dealer, and he has sent them on to Starboard, no response yet.......I have more pics to send of the darkness thats forming in those cracks from water seepage. Also, more cracks are forming. The heal dents are slightly deeper now after another 15 hours or so of use, but not any softer.
Boludo, to post pics , you have to put them on tinypics or some other webhost, then use the img tags. theres probably a help section here somewhere available.

spleeft

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2010, 06:42:01 AM »
Some updated pics , The board has about 30 hours on it now......still rips, but getting pressure cracks that appear to be taking on some moisture. And I tried to  capture pics of the heal dents, they are very noticeable when standing, ( kinda feel good ), but hard to see in a picture. 
  I cant say enough about how this board rips, looks , and feels. Just concerned about how long it lasts and holds up to normal use. I dont mind the $1800 price tag, but I hope it lasts more than one season.....Anyone else get these cracks.moisture/heal dents in their TAC boards?

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »
Funny, I thought that I noticed some slight heel dents on my PSH with the bamboo inlay (after the first weekend on it) ... I just assumed that it was shaped into the deck... little foot impressions... but I will look at this closely, (and compare it to some new boards at PSW) as it may be a function of this type of construction.

The reality is that the impressions will naturally occur over time... but this does seem a little bit quick.

Then again, with our manly turns Spleeft, does ANY construction stand a chance?

Thanks,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »
One more quick thing.  Picking up a Tiki (8'5" by 28) next week.  Sold a car not too long ago and have some cash in the "TMR blow money on silly things" fund.  If I just bought a PSH 8'6" x 28, why buy this?  Well, I am intrigued by difference in volume distribution... and thinking that (as Corran found out in HI this last year) longer is not necessarily necessary for big waves on an SUP...

As the Tiki has about ten percent more volume than my PSH and twenty percent more than my magic Imagine Eco 8'5" ... (and a relatively narrow tail) ... it might be interesting to use as a step up board when it is a little bit choppy and out of control... I know, I know, it is a swallow tail ... but I really am intrigued by the idea that you can offset volume for lenght when surfing bigger waves on an SUP.

I have progressed through my Imagine Eco's (not the magic cuttie) and will have two of them posted in the Classifieds later on.  One 8'6" custome Enigma five boxer, and one 8'5" stock cutback.  Neither are in perfect shape... after all, I surfed them.

To infinity and beyond... (and back to work)

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »
All my boards have heel dents.  No biggie as they are not leaking or getting soft.

I did have some issues with my two pr's but warranty was honored.  After the second warranty issue I stepped up to the sport tech finish and it has held up fine. I have not have very good luck with the lightest layups over the past so I usually stay away from them. 

My first pr leaked at the hand hole like yours but the hand hole was cracked and it would leak water when stored hand hole down.  Little spyder cracks in the gel coat may not be leaking.  So really check for the leaks.  It looks like the stress cracks could be from the foot wells breaking in. 

So use it not abuse it and see if there is any subsequent damage.  If you don't see any water leaks I would say you don't have a problem.  You could wax over them and just use it.  If it is leaking, time will tell, and you have told the mfg of the problem they will take care of you. 

I know these boards are expensive and no one likes to see this stuff.  However we do use them and they pick up little things from use.  I just look at them as badges of use and don't worry as long they don't leak or break.

SL, looking forward to your comments on the tiki.

spleeft

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2010, 10:30:17 AM »
1Tube,  thanks for your comments, I will take them into consideration.
  You say your handle had a crack and leaked water out? Was the crack IN the handle or around like mine? I agree , mine look like they are from the heal dent stress.
 I'm still waiting for a response from my surf shop and rep, but would some resin and glass over those cracks help? Can I just sand the Startouch deck and lay it on there? Seems like that startouch stuff is a type of stick on, that would need removed first.
Thaks again fro your reply
Dean

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »
Dean mine hand hold had a crack in the plastic, so it was different, but it leaked water.  When I turned it over after a week of none use is when I noticed the water leak.  The deck was wet and I could follow the water flow.

Resin and glass might work, not resin alone, but I would not do anything other than wax if even that.  You want to know if it is leaking and a warranty replacement is necessary.  Spyder cracks in the gel coat may leak to the lamination, but they usually do not leak to the foam.  The glass job is pretty thick. I would think a leak is possible if the crack was on the edge of the box and the box was not properly seated.  You will see water if it is leaking.  Another test to see if it is leaking is weigh the board now and see if it is gaining weight. 

If you don't find any leaks I would not worry and just go surf.  These boards are fun to ride.

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »
Interesting stuff because I am going to get some other Starboard down the road. Those TAC boards sure are beautiful---but I am glad I went with the black camo with a deck pad. I really like my investments to last a long time. My PR is due in next week and very late in the week we are due for some very possible nice swell here (hope I didn't just jinx it there!) so I will have just enough time to get used to it then take it out for some action. Will post back. Maybe I'll get the Tiki next or the Pro.

spleeft

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2011, 04:44:55 PM »
I just picked up my new Pocket Rocket....full warranty! Thanks Starboard !

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard