Author Topic: Wetsuit time... the winter wetsuit thread  (Read 36140 times)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wetsuit time... the winter wetsuit thread
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 08:13:45 AM »
Good topic because I'm looking. I use to get GUL wetsuits from Murray Marine when I was doing a lot of windsurfing and they fit me well and lasted a lot longer than the name brand surf suits. I recently got a 3/2 e-bomb from ripcurl that I don't like very much. It seems a lot thicker and heavier than other 3/2s (?), not very comfortable, and when the zipper broke, they charged me $25 to fix it.

O'Neil charges $30 to fix a broken zipper as one of my sons just sent his back to them. I don't think it was quite yet a year old either...  Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 09:33:26 AM »
I've also been intrigued by the Matuse wetsuits. Apparently the material they use is almost totally NON-ABSORBANT so it doesn't get heavy with water like a typical neopreme suit. I just bought a last years model 3/2 at a 25% discount...still pricey but thought I would try it.  Since we are still having warm weather here (today air temp 79 and water 67) I haven't tried it yet....I'll do a review once it gets a little colder!! ...Tim

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »
Good topic because I'm looking. I use to get GUL wetsuits from Murray Marine when I was doing a lot of windsurfing and they fit me well and lasted a lot longer than the name brand surf suits. I recently got a 3/2 e-bomb from ripcurl that I don't like very much. It seems a lot thicker and heavier than other 3/2s (?), not very comfortable, and when the zipper broke, they charged me $25 to fix it.

O'Neil charges $30 to fix a broken zipper as one of my sons just sent his back to them. I don't think it was quite yet a year old either...  Later,   JD

The metal pull thingie came apart. When I spoke to the service manager, he explained to me that it was cause my the fact that I used the surf suit in salt water.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Wimps!  ;D

Real wetsuits start at 5mm.   :D

Quiksilver Cypher 5/4/3 Hooded full suit - chest zip - and 7mm booties.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I have mentioned this one here before but I had a custom made suit from Snugg Wetsuits last year. Made - to - Measure, without doubt the comfiest warmest and easiest to get in and out of suit that I have ever had. The Neoprene is a Limestone based polymer and the suit is fleeced lined and only 3mm for a winter spec suit (certainly equivelant in warmth to my old 5mm steamers). I had a Triathlon smooth skin arms and shoulders grafted onto a more conventional body. If it has an issue it's probably too warm so I had a 2mm version made with a fleece body panel as well. Full details here (cue shameless blog link pimp)

http://csx355.blogspot.com/2009/10/snugg-wetsuits-sup-global-and-asparagus.html

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 03:52:07 PM »
Love my Patagonia I wore the 3mil all last winter!

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
+1 for Patagonia
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Wetsuit time... the winter wetsuit thread
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
That's great to hear. I picked up a Patagonia 4/3  with their 7 mil booties. Can't wait to try them out. Got em up your way, exetersup at Cinnamon Rainbows.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
I need one too.  I like that Isurus.  Curious about what those who have them say.  Any feedback on that.  I'm sure StrandLeper will give us a detailed descriptive review of his. Right?

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 04:13:09 AM »
Ayup, cool beans suprbowl. You surf in Hudson Valley? Or just paddle flat water? Lemme know if you come back this way, we'll go for a paddle:)

sideshore

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 07:10:26 AM »
I am curious if anyone has tried the Predator Surf Suit from Ocean Rodeo. It appears to be the perfect suit for paddling, staying warm and dry with ease of movement but without the baggy feeling from a drysuit...making it good in the surf too!

http://oceanrodeo.com/drysuits/surfdry

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 10:52:27 AM »
Boludo,

The review probably won't be as exciting as a board review... but y'all will get one.

The Isurus was just delivered... opened it up... WOW this is a really, really well made suit.  The quality is just really spot on.  Every seam, every cut, can't wait to try it on!

Will be out this weekend crawling around a bit and will keep everyone posted.

Very low key graphics.  Yamamoto rubber, feels like butter.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »
I use a 4/3 xcel here in the Pacific NW in winter, I resently got
the oneill 13oz thermo x crew {short sleeve} it is smooth on outside
and fleece on inside, this works very well under my suite, way better than
my old 2mm crew, its very warm and seems to cut wind chill well,
and oneill 2mm shorts also work really good on these cold winter days.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
I have an Excel 5/4 and a Patagonia R4.  The Patty R4 is way warmer, plenty comfy when water temps are in the mid to high 30s.  The Patty's warmth is especially noticeable on windy days.  And the hood on the Patty actually is large to comfortably fit my gourd.

Unless I'm out for hours in the winter, I'm comfortable.  What I haven't figured out is how to keep my feet from freezing when I'm changing out my wetsuit in the parking lot.  I stand on a foam mat, but that doesn't seem to help a great deal.  The dogs get cold really, really quickly and it usually takes them at least 45 minutes before they regain any feeling.  It can make driving a stick a little tricky. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Can you say Isurus?

http://www.surfisurus.com/

Did a quick post sunset bodysurf in my new Isurus 3/2/3... OH MY GOD!

BUTTERY freaking goodness.  The panels on the shoulders gave me SO much freedom of movement...

As all So Cal'ers know... it is freezing today... I was totally beyond warm...  Jeff Clark uses the 3/2/3 at Mav's on the less cold days.

I am literally amazed at this suit... literally, not figuratively.

No, I am not affiliated with them... don't even know anyone at the company.

Goes on a little tight... but putting it on the second time was no problem at all...  You know, the top entry boogie...

RIDICULOUS!  I am sending the other wetsuit that I got back... the wrong size or something... yeah... that's it... The West Lotus does not even compare to the Isurus in flexibility and the West is a 2 MIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited to wear this to surf in this weekend... tempted to do a moonlight run at Lowers in a few hours... see you at there at 2:00 or so.

So stoked and out for now.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal