Author Topic: Wetsuit time... the winter wetsuit thread  (Read 36217 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Wetsuit time... the winter wetsuit thread
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:02:15 PM »
Haven't bought a new full suit for a few years as I have been using the O'Neill Gooru l/s spring during the winter... but this winter I am going to be crawling a bit more.... so I gots to suit up.

Southern California conditions.

I was just gonna buy the latest and greatest from Billabong, bcz I LOVE my old Platinum Solution... but didn't really dig the way they handled AI's passing... so I decided to go outside of the box and bought two new suits... so one is always dry... (got a REALLY good deal on one of them from a friend, so I couldn't pass it up) ...

Always thought that I could handle a two mil, so I am giving one a shot... and got really intrigued by the new suits from Isurus.

West Lotus 2 mil... and an Isurus 3/2/3 Elite.

I will update this thread as to how they hold up, and feel compared to what I have worn in the past.  (Rip Curl E-Bomb, Infinity Dry Lock, Billabond Platinum Solution... all 3/2)...

I invite all the other Zoners to talk about what they are using...

I probably will stick with my poor boy spring suit (short John plus O'Neill Gooru l/s top) or l/s spring for stando dawn patrols, and boardies and T-shirts (or l/s Gooru top) for afternoon sessions... and use the new suits for crawling...

Please, no shilling for your sponsor or the brand that you think is cool... just honest, warts and all feedback... (like my wife, after a ... well... nevermind...)

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wetsuit time... the winter wetsuit thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Yep, the vehicle you drive definitely won't matter for attracting chicks if you do standup.  Not only do standup guys have the cool board and paddle, they can say, "Hey baby, I'm not really into flaunting my wealth, or wearing expensive clothes, but see this suit I've got on?--TWO MIL.  And I'm thinking of getting one that's at least 3 MIL."

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
Up around the Sound... the Microsoft guys have 6 Mil suits... don't they... ???
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:48:50 PM »
Yep, the vehicle you drive definitely won't matter for attracting chicks if you do standup.  Not only do standup guys have the cool board and paddle, they can say, "Hey baby, I'm not really into flaunting my wealth, or wearing expensive clothes, but see this suit I've got on?--TWO MIL.  And I'm thinking of getting one that's at least 3 MIL."

;D ;D ;D  Somebody's got to give this guy a mic and a chair at a Comedy contest. I LMAO at just about everything he comments on. When ever I'm feeling a little down, all I have to do is jump on The Zone and find a post by Mike... Dude, this earth is a better place with you in it...   Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »
Up around the Sound... the Microsoft guys have 6 Mil suits... don't they... ???
That's not all.  I used to paddle with some Microsoft engineers, and every time they fell in, or anything went wrong at all, we'd all have to stop while they took their booties off and then put them back on.  I asked them why, and they said "We're trained to do this.  Any time we crash or come across any kind of problem, we re-boot".

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
it also dosent hurt to tell the Chicas you have an "Elastomatrix Crotch" for increased comfort and durablity! ;D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »
But serously!- has anyone tired or have one of them thar fancy Japanese Limestone washed thingamabobs-otherwise know as Matuse?!-am intrigued but good grief are they pricey!-maybe an old thread?-let me know if you have one!

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 05:24:13 PM »
Tim-checked out the Isurus website-i too am now intrigued-got it yet?-let us know how you like it?!- i too need to trash my 5 year old Oneill.
Thanks man...

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »
The Isurus has not yet arrived.  The West Lotus showed up today.  The Isurus should show up on Wednesday.

Tim

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 05:16:02 AM »
I have a 2mil Xcel that is great from May through September up here in NH. My 3/2 ripcurl e bomb for crawling and sup when the water is below 55. A 4/3 ripcurl f bomb for now and early spring. And my 5/4 xcel infinity for wintah. 7 mil booties for anytime the water is under 55. And an assortment of 3, 5 and 8 mil gloves/claws/mitts. Underneath it all, I'll sport custom made 3mil boxers, a 2mil vest, and smahtwool socks. And a jar of vaseline in the truck just in case the offshores are blowin too hard during the noreasters.
Ya, it's f-in ridiculously cold here in the northeast. I have skied Mt Washington and sup'd Hampton in the same day before. When there's big snowfall, there's always big surf. Just gotta get after it...

That's Raimana when he visited this past February. He's never been in a 6 mil suit before!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:21:25 AM by exetersup »

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 05:54:39 AM »
I'm just N of exetersup and use an xcel 5/4 drylock 4 months of the year and a 4/3 with or without a separate hood on warmer days. Toasty even on the most brutal days. 7 mil xcel wide toe boots 6 months of the year and the usual assortment of gloves.

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:00:11 AM »
Ake G,
Where you at?

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:05:04 AM »
I am looking for new materials in my next wetsuit.  Tim I was looking at the billabong suit that is light and foam.  AI comment has me looking at other options.
What other new materials are being used for wetsuits? My excel is cracking on the neoprene. 

Here in the north I wear a spring suit until the water drops below 55 and the air also.  I am now using a 4/3 with booties and a hood.  On the really cold days I have a 5 mil hooded suit but its a pita to put on and pull off. 

I am not into the stretch on suits.  They are difficult to zip, unzip and just has me doing contortions that old guys hate.  Plus I need a buddy to unzip them when the velcro is locking the zipper up. 

What new materials are available and more important  how do they hold up to constant use and always left hanging over a wet box.  I was even thinking of paying a premium for a quality new suit. 

One other option would be nice and that is a relief option.  Come on mfg's think of what we need for longer sessions.   

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:24 AM »
Mad props Exeter-but looking at that last pic wit those lefts had me thinking i could pull it off-if i lived there i would go and man that pic of Raimana was hilarious!-didnt know Tahitians even knew what a wetsuit was!-great pics.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
Good topic because I'm looking. I use to get GUL wetsuits from Murray Marine when I was doing a lot of windsurfing and they fit me well and lasted a lot longer than the name brand surf suits. I recently got a 3/2 e-bomb from ripcurl that I don't like very much. It seems a lot thicker and heavier than other 3/2s (?), not very comfortable, and when the zipper broke, they charged me $25 to fix it.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill