Author Topic: Hawaii Kai run video  (Read 5400 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Hawaii Kai run video
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »
OC1 11 6 10

The video is a bit long (and boring).  That day had kind of light winds and small bumps.  Plus I'm still struggling to prevent condensation from forming inside the GoPro housing. 

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
Re: Hawaii Kai run video
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:38:58 AM »
Classic hawn style! Love the Music!   ;D

You came up on those sup guys so fast!

Re the condensation,  allz I can figure is the camera is colder than ambient temperature when you're putting it in the housing.  Is the camera getting chilled by your car A/C or something on the way to the beach? 
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
Lol.  I was one of the guys on SUP, my buddy on the one man was doing the filming.

We were trying to figure out the best method for preventing the fogging.  DJ recommended chilling the housing in the A/C right before putting the camera inside and closing it.  Warm air holds more moisture, so the thought is that if the air inside the housing (and its a pretty tight fit) is cold, the colder air will hold less moisture so less condensation can form.

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »
You can put you go-pro together in air conditioning which will reduce the moisture in the air.  That works sometimes but not always.  I ended up buying the desecant strips from go-pro.  I had to put two at a time in the housing to keep from fogging.
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »
Oy!  Sorry.  Thought you were the OC1 guy. 

Re the condensation:  Cool.  Let me know if the AC works.

Usually, your problem is caused by the camera being colder than ambient temperature (therefore having condensation) when putting it into the housing.

I usually put the camera into the housing at home just before leaving for the beach.  This assures that both camera and housing have been in the same temp for a while, and more importantly, are being loaded in that same temp.  Note that you can't warm/dry a camera quick.  The outside of the camera can be warm and dry, but the camera's insides may still be cooler and have condensation.  This is why it's not noticed until you're in the water and the housing is cooled, drawing the moisture to the inside surface of the housing.

Doing it at home also allows me to calmly check (I have an actual checklist) that everything is ready to go including the o-ring seal being good, the camera settings, the card is cleared, AF is on or off, camera is on (!).  Then when I get to the beach I do one test shot to make sure everything is working before grabbing the fins, board, and helmet.

I've heard of the dessicants, but those should be mainly for when you're loading your camera in really humid conditions (like a downpour).  But I guess if they're cheap, then why not?  :)

Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
1paddle,

Just noticed that the condensation on the video looks like it's centered in the frame.  This reminds me of when I'd have a lens with me taken from the AC'd office.  Since the lens was in a padded case, it would keep the lens AC-cold.  Within a few minutes of taking it out, the lens itself would fog on the inside elements, precisely in the center.  Would sometimes take half a football game to clear.  Frustrating.

Try checking your GoPro next time out to see if that's the case (condensation in the center of the camera lens; NOT on the inside of the housing). If it is, then loading the camera at home (or wherever the colder environment that the camera is coming from) should do the trick.

Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »
You can put you go-pro together in air conditioning which will reduce the moisture in the air.  That works sometimes but not always.  I ended up buying the desecant strips from go-pro.  I had to put two at a time in the housing to keep from fogging.
I was wondering if those strips work well, do they keep the lens from fogging up?  My camera always foggs up within 30 minutes or so, especially if the camera goes underwater.

Thanks for sharing, Scott.  Yes, it's a bit long but the helmet cam angle is good for filming others, I'll have to try that.

My friend, Fabrice Beaux put together a video with gopro footage, we played around with a bunch of different angles.  The first half is windsurfing, the second half mostly SUP surfing, check it out:

New film from Fabrice Beaux
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
There is a Goprouser forum, they suggested strips of sham-wow and rain-x anti-fog on the inside of the glass lens applied with q-tip.  They also recommended rain-x on the outside of the housing lens to avoid water droplets.  I haven't tried that yet, but have fogging every single time I use my Gopro, it's pretty frustrating. 

I have read that blasting the AC into the camera and housing will help dry out the humid air, I've done that with improvement, but not 100% success.  Some have gone as far as storing the camera in a sealed rubbermaid container with sealed rubber gloves on the sides for assembly.  Desiccant stored in the container to control humidity.  Pretty extreme, but from what I've seen it works. 

I've tried the raw rice in the case, very messy, and still not 100% success.  I've tried tiny desiccant packs with no success. 

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:38:42 AM »
Be careful with the AC tip in Hawaii.  If you use this method, make sure you load the camera into the housing while BOTH are still in the cold air. 

The air here is very humid.  Think of pulling a can of soda out of the fridge:  That condensation on the can happens on the outside AND inside of a camera as soon as  you take it out of the AC.  And as I mentioned before, the condensation on the inside of the camera will take a long time to dry.

Googled,  it looks like this is a fairly common problem with the GoPro here and everywhere. 

Two possibilities:  1)  Water is already inside the housing or camera when you load the camera;  or 2)  Water is being introduced sometime later.

But I haven't heard of leaking being a problem.  So it is very likely the first.

Try this:  Keep the camera out of the housing at least overnite, in a dry place indoors where there will be no drastic temperature swings and no excessive humidity like the bathroom.  In the morning, before going out, put the camera into the housing.  Both are at room temperature. And the camera has been at this temp overnite at least, so should be dry inside and out. 

In Hawaii,  try to NEVER have your camera get chilled and then exposed to outside air.  When in your car,  keep your camera in a bag,  away from the car's AC.

I would also try the anti-fog solution on the inside of the housing.  The surface may not be "clean".  If you've noticed, if the inside of your car's windshield is dirty, it fogs up faster.
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »
Some good tips on the fogging nonsense.  I still need to figure out of the fogging is inside the camera itself or inside the housing.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 04:05:59 PM »
OK, I haven't figured out the fogging issue.  I put the camera in the case hours before we started and didn't turn it on until about 45 minutes into the run.  This video is the first part of the footage (in other words, turned camera on and started filming).  The footage that came after this was more interesting & entertaining but the camera fogged again and the sun was directly behind me - footage came out crappy.

This was taken yesterday (December 4th), at almost noon.  Winds were 20+ knots but its always a bit crazy around Black Point, with the wind pushing out but the swells heading in.  The one decent ride I caught in this clip I nearly fell...

Next time I'd like to take footage with the helmet cam, it gives a much better perspective of what the conditions look like when paddling.

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
Hey...By any chance, was there an old, short guy in a yellow shirt chasing you - unsuccessfully, I might add - from HK to Blk Pt?   ;D

Howzit Scott!  Ken here (Six Feet and Glassy).  Was nice to meet you, though I didn't know that was "you".  Nice to put a face with the username.

Wow.  That fogging issue is a mystery, eh?  Can't wait to see the helmet cam footage.  Although, I'll be bummed too cuz if you put the camera facing forward, you'll never see me!   ;D

Aloha!
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
Lol! I want to do the helmet cam footage from my ski so I can follow behind and get some good footage of people paddling and catching bumps.

The perspective from the nose is better than nothing but doesn't really give an indication of how the conditions appear to the rider.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »
The fogging issue is caused by the heat of the camera.  There is a firmware update that allows you to both turn the camera on and starts recording video immediately without pushing on/off shutter button.  Its called the "one button mode"
Check here for info...
http://www.goprocamera.com/support/hdheroupdate.php

What I have noticed even in warmer climates is that the GP camera gets very hot even while in stand by.  So if you can turn the camera off in between shots it greatly increases time before fogging issues.  Of course the fogging issue gets compounded in humid and colder conditions but we really struggled with it in HI last year.  It also helps to crack the case open and let the hot air escape if you are willing to take the chance. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
Thanks river, I will give the update a try.  Now its like you have to wait to start filming until you believe you are going to get good footage, because you only have a limited time before the fogging really destroys the picture.

Cracking the case sounds like a very risky endeavor.  I think if I'm wearing the cam on my head it would be easier than when the GP is mounted to the board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal