Author Topic: Alternative transport ideas... Bikes options, how to?  (Read 5700 times)

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Alternative transport ideas... Bikes options, how to?
« on: February 18, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
SO we all love stand ups. Not without all of the obvious benefits, there are some drawbacks. First, the increase in your gear budget. Then the increase in your wax budget. New racks to be able to handle the sled, as it wont fit into your honda (unless you roll an element)...

The list goes on and on.

But Im not a big driver (I hate driving actually), and needed a way to transport the boards to and from the beach. Plus its great in the summer to ride past the 2 hour wait at San Onofre and peddle right in. The MULE was great, but as I searched out more out of the way spots, I grew increasingly conserned about bouncing my board down a trail. So I welded up some long trailers, but 22' of bike can suck when you try to billygoat down trails sometimes. I wanted a more secure option.

Hello Xtracycle, my new company car, the Nui Moana xtra cruiser

This thing rocks, and has become much more than a board transporter. Its given me a huge step to becoming much less car dependent. I grocery shop on it. J rides on the back for dinner. Hauls recycling. And billygoats trails like nothing else.

With this setup, I have a very real 10 mile surfing range. I can peddle 5 miles, than paddle 5-8 in search of waves, then 5 home. Its a great transporter for downwinders.

There are drawbacks. First would be the $400 price tag just for the attachment (you bolt it in to the dropouts and extend brake/gear cables). Second is side winds can beat you up a little, but its not as bad as you'd think. (in hard off shores, I still prefer the mule) It stays on the bike as a permanent mode, but after rolling it for a while, you cant imagine yourself without it. (at least I cant)

I put it on a road bike first, but now its on a german touring bike with beefy tires.

For those folks that live within 5-10 miles of the beach and want a better way (no parking hassles, lessen your carbon imprint, etc...), this is a very cool option. I know Im stoked on it. I'll try to get some pics/video of it in action...

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative transport ideas... Bikes options, how to?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Looks cool, but that must be tough when it gets windy, LOL. 15kts of crosswind blowing against your board you will need a lot fo crosswind correction to stay on the road.  Nice setup!

g shepherd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »
We love our Xtracycle! I haven't outfitted it for surf duty yet, but we're putting it to good use around town.

I've got a beachcruiser with standard sidemount surf racks that'll take my SOS Big Red, although the pedal  to my launch spot is only a 1/2 mile. Anything more and I'd need to upgrade!

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:32:55 AM »
Looks cool, but that must be tough when it gets windy, LOL. 15kts of crosswind blowing against your board you will need a lot fo crosswind correction to stay on the road.  Nice setup!

I must say, its not that bad. I had it out in 20 mph offshores and while I got knocked around a little on the road, it wasnt unmanagable.

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »
We love our Xtracycle! I haven't outfitted it for surf duty yet, but we're putting it to good use around town.

I've got a beachcruiser with standard sidemount surf racks that'll take my SOS Big Red, although the pedal  to my launch spot is only a 1/2 mile. Anything more and I'd need to upgrade!

You're reply is useless to the greater good without pics... ;D

Xtracycles are the $hit! How did I ever get around before mine. In a car, but thats not the point...

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:51:23 AM »
Here is a great link to a video with John Ashley of paddlesurf.net and a product review on the MULE transport system. A very versatile option for those looking for a way to haul it to the beach. Plus with a good net bungee, you can strap all 'kine of crap to it before you split...

Video

MULE review

and no, Im not sponsored or associated with any of these products. Just stoked on bike transport...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 06:21:43 AM »
Mule supplied two Sup transporters for the showcase--they proved invaluable for schlepping heavy stuff from the vans to the setup area. I used my Ku Nalu board rigged with a mule to haul all the heavy stuff. stacked coolers, camera boxes, food, etc. onto the board and the Mule let it all smoothly roll across the lumpy park grass. Even floats it all across the sand! 

Very impressive product. I planned to build something myself, but I love the simplicity, extremely light weight, and easy assembly of the mule--I doubt I could top it
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 03:07:38 AM »
The Mule is nice. It's what the doctor ordered for that tender bald spot I was developing on the top of my head from balancing my board up there while I would walk to the beach. I need to be more diligent about using it 'cause I'm wearing pretty thin again.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
Allan, thats fantastic ! thanks for showing us an even better way to use our bikes, even with the bigger boards we surf. time to get peddling...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal