Author Topic: Gone short and back?  (Read 14324 times)

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gone short and back?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 04:07:06 AM »
I'm 6'2, 215+lbs. and live in Northeast Florida.  I have what I think is a perfect 3 board quiver....My go to board is a 9'6"WAA Psh...turns great , NOSERIDES LIKE NOBODIES BUSINESS!! AND is perfect for our mostly soft mushy waves. When a real swell hits I jump on my 9'3" Wide Custom PSH..pulled in nose, great down the line speed and tremendous quickness... and finally, an 11'WAA PSH for taking newbies out and for leisurely paddles....Got just about everything covered....except.... there's always the chance of  a race board in my future!!! (if they weren't so darn $$$$$)  Tim

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:55:33 AM »
i went short then shorter and even shorter. rode a 10'6 then a 9'3 then 8'5 now 7'9. i love the 7'9 im a short boarder a heart and its what ive been looking for since i started sup.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »
i went short then shorter and even shorter. rode a 10'6 then a 9'3 then 8'5 now 7'9. i love the 7'9 im a short boarder a heart and its what ive been looking for since i started sup.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »
Here's my progression:

10-4--more than just OK, always feels positive, great for going over and out in the surf
7-11-- really just got this out of convenience, and was easy to transport because they're so easy to hold up
5-0--got this after hearing it was popular in Hawaii--whole new series just came out in fact, based on the earlier 5-0 series
2-11--very short, always a blast, got a used one but am getting concerned that it may have been stolen in an armed robbery
2-11 again--have a custom 2-11 in progress

But am also thinking of going longer again.  Am looking at a 4-11--haven't got one yet because I've been overwhelmed with how much info is available on it.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:24:06 AM by pdxmike »

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
Here's my progression:

10-4--more than just OK, always feels positive, great for going over and out in the surf
7-11-- really just got this out of convenience, and was easy to transport because they're so easy to hold up
5-0--got this after hearing it was popular in Hawaii--whole new series just came out in fact, based on the earlier 5-0 series
2-11--very short, always a blast, got a used one but am getting concerned that it may have been stolen in an armed robbery
2-11 again--have a custom 2-11 in progress

But am also thinking of going longer again.  Am looking at a 4-11--haven't got one yet because I've been overwhelmed with how much info is available on it.

;D ;D ;D    Leave it up to Mike to come up with something so bazaar it really makes you think about it....                 JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Want super short and wide (7'6" by 31) didn't like it.  Skipped out... too barge-ish...

Went super short and sort of narrow (Thanks Corran) (7'0 by 28)... I am too fat for that (195)... and it was just too short to comfortable paddle...

Went short (but not too short) (8'5" by 28.5)... magical surfing but tough paddling (thanks again Corran) ... taking off and balancing...  but once I got used to it... fuggedaboudit!  Have used that template plus the PSH 8'6" template to creat my custom 8'6"...   Love, Love, Love Love it... but in massive chop, this board is tough!  Probably will make a 9'0" step up board...
Eventually...

During this whole transitional period, Ralphie made me buy a Starboard Tiki 8'5" by 28 by 4 that is really floaty.  Thought I might be able to use the additional float to create a short "step up" board and also use the additional float and lessened rocker to make it a super small day board too.  Right idea... but the rails on the board were too windsurfy... and the bottom has a serious dead spot where the water is pushing... Now I am working with Roger Hinds to take that Starboard Tiki outline, surf up the rails, put some secret suace on the nose, give it a single concave nose to tail, throw on five boxes... and have THE ULTIMATE versatile fun and forgiving SHORT SUP... watch the gear section for this bad boy to come to life.

Oh this experimentation thing is FUN!

My magic number is in the eight foot range.

Tim

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
PDX-i want to try the 1-87 but its illegal-although i voted for it i cant get it!! ;)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Supperson

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
Yes Corran you got it......
different boards for different waves
mine at 165lb   7'11 x 27 x 3 7/8 works unreal at points up to 12ft
and 8'8 x 27 x 3 5/8 works very well at beachbreaks it
gets in early and can get out easy if it is closing out on you.
Very hard to go back to anything bigger or wider than a 9'0 x 27 max
 I like keeping the rails straight as possible
and thin rais, Low volume, low rocker, tight fin cluster and narrow tail make for a board that you can pump down the line and really surf...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
PDX-i want to try the 1-87 but its illegal-although i voted for it i cant get it!! ;)
The 1-87s are killer boards!

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
i'm currently on a 9 x 29 x 4, am 6'2, weigh 185, think my next board will be between 8'6 - 8'10 x 27.5 x 3.75 - 4

i wont be going back to longer boards. i usually ride in fast beach break conditions where depending on the tide the waves can get thin and hallow pretty fast. love the 9'0, but was something a little narrower for faster rail to rail.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »
I have been going shorter and shorter and now pretty much use my 9'4 and 8'6, with the 8'6 my most used right now.  Do not think I am going to go any shorter but not going any wider for sure.  For the future , I plan on going narrower, lighter as well.  Also I think a race board is in my future in the spring.

Absolutetrip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Absolute trip Standup Paddle Surfboards
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »
 I have been working on sup design and building these things for a few years now from the blanks up. I built prone surfboards for over 20 years and have a bit of experience on surf design. I have learned a few things.
 One thing is if you want to ride a SUP, ride one, don't get yourself a thick shortboard that just barely gets by as a standup its just not any fun on a board that is near impossible to stand on.. Do the math figure out your personal volume. Put the proper volume and "rail volume" in it. Fact is with the proper bottom contours and rocker coupled with outline and fin set up the board will surf realy well. And at the same time be as about stable as anything you have ever paddled.
 I enjoy my short SUPs. 5'10, 6'6". 6'10", 7', 7'6", 7'10",8', 8'6",8'10". I am 6'2" and 215lbs I ride 152-168 liters in each sized board with my 15.75" round tails measured a foot up on all of them. My personal wide point widths range from 28-29.875" depending on the shape.
 I will say this you guys that are blessed with glassy conditions the majority of the time can ride a much thinner boards. But in wind and a little chop it just sucks. The planning widths of SUP's allow things to be done rocker and bottom contour wise that just would not work on a prone board. Push the limits of SUP surfing.

Peace,
Ron

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »
I'm riding an 8'5" Pocket Rocket, and I really love this Board. I've ridden it in clean 2ft overhead and in knee-thigh mush, and it is great in both. I also have an 8'11" Blair which is really an awesome board, especially on bigger days, to bad it dings and dents so easily. I'm 6' and 165 lbs and mainly ride beach break surf.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 04:12:44 PM »
Well I am back to my 10' 6" only because some idiot decided to run into my brand new 9' 11" ripper this morning.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »
808 - That's a bummer.  Did he hit it with a car or out in the H2O?

Well, I've continued to go smaller and now moving to narrower and loving every minute of it.

Sounds like based off all the replies, that not many have gone short and gone back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal