Author Topic: what are you doing ?  (Read 17535 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: what are you doing ?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
load the carbs no other way to do it. lmao thats what they all preach and thats all they think there is.SOS
Whoever "they" are, they don't seem to be posting here.  People are recommending NOT loading up on carbs, but including protein and fats with them. 

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »
Oh yea I cut out the bean too (coffee) which I was addicted to and didnt realize the effects it had on me until I quit.

hi river, i'm the same with the bean, what were the effects & results you experienced out of interest :)
Caffeine is a great ergogenic aid, if used in moderation.  It works.  That is why it is banned at certain high dosages in international competition.  Drinking too much can be detrimental in the long run, but there are countless studies that it helps as a mild pick-me-up before competition.  Works for me, but I only have 2-3 shots per day (equivalent to about 1-2 cups of joe).  I'm not an addict, I can quit anytime, ha ha.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
This thread is depressing me.....I managed to get in pretty good shape before the 1st CCBC in 2008. Went from 320 or so from Sept of 2007 down to 245 by August of 2008. Back up to 270 by spring of 2009 then got down to 255 for the 2009 CCBC which didn't happen for me....got sidetracked by having a hole drilled in my head but at least I kept most of the weight off with the horrible hospital food diet.

Added the usual winter weight end of 2009 but got back down to about 260 for this years CCBC...then I screwed up my knee just after it...2 months of forced idleness...no exercise and boredom are a dangerous combo...flew back up to 285. Headed back down again in fits and starts...but a ridiculous work schedule and the holidays have hurt the last couple of weeks.

It's a pain in the ass loving food so much....as for the bean....Kureg machine in the office....just realized reading this post that I had around 8 cups today.....WIRED....working 12-14 hour days sucks too. Gotta break this stupid cycle of ups and downs. I know what I SHOULD be doing...Nikki Gregg recommended the Metabolic Typing Diet and if I can actually get myself into the groove of smarter eating and more exercise it will obviously happen. Anybody know where I can rent some willpower?

My ideal weight is around 230...any less than that and I'm eating into muscle. i'd love to see the difference in surfing and racing at that weight...hopefully I can manage it by the 1st CCBC 2011 event in the late spring.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:26:21 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
I'll send you the sugar recalibrating diet that Tish Berman had me on for a few weeks. Lost a quick ten pounds and now we're adjusting to calibrate and lose the rest and establish a lifestyle I can tolerate. I have the same underlying set of problem you have, including a similar genetic makeup. Here's what I've found so far:

Two weeks of mostly vegetables, healthy fats, meat as a condiment and avoid the red stuff. No grains, no breads, no starchy foods. Sounds like Atkins but veggies are fine--eat as much of them as you like. No alcohol (I cheated on that but trimmed the beer way back) eat six times a day, heaviest meal at noon. Drink a lot of water. Like a couple of gallons per day

Adjust the way you look at portions. Tough for me, I cook a lot and usually when I'm done there's plenty for three instead of reasonable for Diane and I. When I make an omelet I do it in a small pan. Small amounts of everything and four eggs for two people. Really small amounts. Like three mushrooms sliced. One slice of lunch ham diced. A little broccoli, a little pile of string beans. Saute that, add the egg and use standard omelet technique to make it fluffy. Grate hard cheese in--don't crumble it of toss in a handful.  

Interesting part is how CHEAP this lifestyle is, even though we do our shopping at Whole Food in Maui--the most expensive base food cost place I've ever been. We're using a fraction of the usual groceries, and not eating out much. I'm just screwing around, but I've started being really frugal. Buy a roasted chicken--make four meals out of it including chicken in an omelet, then make chicken soup from the carcass and all the veggies in the refrigerator that are starting to go bad. I make a mean chicken soup and it's enough for at least three meals. Kind of fun living like I used to when I was twenty and poor as a churchmouse.

I love bread, I love spuds. Tough. Don't eat 'em. No grains for a couple of weeks to get you going. No sugar.

Right now I couldn't eat a big meal. I've adjusted my view of portions way downward and my stomach gets full fast. If you go out to eat, order as rationally as you can and ask them get a to go carton. Put half in that  BEFORE you start eating.

We went to some friends for thanksgiving. I resolved to not worry about the diet and just have at it. Filled my plate, ate half. Stuffed. Got a small sample of every dessert and just picked at them. I felt like I'd gorged myself--I was uncomfortable. My guess is I ate one quarter as much as I usually would. It's the six times a day thing--you get REALLY hungry, but all it takes is a couple of bites to fill you up.

A snack is half an apple, a few pecans or walnuts, and some thin slices of really good cheese. Seriously, it's really satisfying, and it's balanced better than just eating an apple. Especially if the apple is in a pie with ice cream on it.

Working OK for me. I've had two periods of forced inactivity in the four weeks since I've started this--the tail end of the vein thing, and now I overdid the OC-1 and training stuff. Still having spasms, but it's waning. Sitting on the couch watching the tube, reading, wrting. Hardly moving. Haven't regained any weight, still losing.

It's a little hard, but I feel good and I keep thinking how fricken fast I'm gonna be when I'm not carrying a forty pound pack of blubber when I race these thirty year old dudes. Watch out.

Oh, and even though Diane always eats carefully to help her diabetes, this diet has her daily meal-time insulin cut in half, and her blood sugar swings are much better controlled. It's not the diet we're going to convert into a lifestyle, but it does a great job getting you on the path.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:22:09 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
There's great info here.

The question I have is--most people have something--sweets, coffee, beer, salty food, greasy food, etc.--that they love, but that they would be better off cutting back on. 

Is it just a matter of constant willpower to limit whatever your own vice is, or (as I've heard) is there a "re-set" (or withdrawal?) period where it's hard initially, but then your body adjusts to the point you no longer crave whatever you used to?

It sounds like lots of people here have greatly improved their eating habits, so may have personal experience with this. 

cheekymonkey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 07:35:37 AM »
Oh yea I cut out the bean too (coffee) which I was addicted to and didnt realize the effects it had on me until I quit.

hi river, i'm the same with the bean, what were the effects & results you experienced out of interest :)
Caffeine is a great ergogenic aid, if used in moderation.  It works.  That is why it is banned at certain high dosages in international competition.  Drinking too much can be detrimental in the long run, but there are countless studies that it helps as a mild pick-me-up before competition.  Works for me, but I only have 2-3 shots per day (equivalent to about 1-2 cups of joe).  I'm not an addict, honest, I can quit anytime, honest, I'll do it tomorrow, now where's my coffee.

:)

Distressed Mullet

• Rincon Status
  • For the people who paddle
    • View Profile
    • Distressed Mullet
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
This is the year for me to get into shape. Can't start this weekend because we're throwing a Festivus party for relatives we won't be seeing for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Are you having the Airing of the Grievances or Feats of Strength?
Nothing heals like water time

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
The question I have is--most people have something--sweets, coffee, beer, salty food, greasy food, etc.--that they love, but that they would be better off cutting back on. 

Is it just a matter of constant willpower to limit whatever your own vice is, or (as I've heard) is there a "re-set" (or withdrawal?) period where it's hard initially, but then your body adjusts to the point you no longer crave whatever you used to?

Not for me bro'...  My weaknesses are sweets & the volume of food that I want to eat.  I've been doing this for many years now and I still always want sweets & to eat a lot.  Motivators help - I don't want to blow back up because I felt horrible & I want to stay in good shape so I'm around for a while for my wife and soon-to-hatch son.  Plus I know I can keep it off, I like weighing less today at 38 yrs old than I did in high school, and I feel GREAT so I don't cave in (often  :D)...  It's a constant battle; change the lifestyle & stick to it. 

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
There's great info here.

It sounds like lots of people here have greatly improved their eating habits, so may have personal experience with this. 

You need to learn what foods control your blood sugar level. Then ultimately you won't have up and down high and low sugar spikes throughout the day. Just remember all foods are not created equal and just because another healthy person is eating it doesn't mean you eat the same thing. What works for one person not necessarily will work for you. No to persons has the same metabolic type. Biggest mistake anyone can do.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »
In the movie Pulp Fiction Jules says, "My wife is a vegetarian so that kind of makes me a vegetarian... but i do enjoy a good burger."   he proceeds to eat this guy's Kahuna burger before he blows him away.  Funniest thing I've ever seen but the point is ... pick a woman who eats right and that helps a ton.  Mine eats like a bird and it rubs sorta rubs off.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:45 AM »
Speaking to mike's question, I quit refined sugar a few years ago and have a good bit of experience around addiction and recovery, including some time around some pretty famous doctors in that field.  The general consensus from the docs is that your brain needs 90 days to start to "reset" from any addiction and then a year of "sobriety" for your brain chemistry to truly start to change.

After that, you may still have cravings but you are less likely to give in. I still want that cake from time to time but less and less as time goes by.

I have to agree that when I eat less bread and other carbs and more meat and fresh fruit and vegetables, I'm in better shape. Common sense but our culture doesn't make it easy if you eat out much.

I agree with bill, as usual, it is cheaper than you'd think once you get portions in line. I'm lucky, I'm never that big but I get soft when I slack and I feel bad too.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
  The general consensus from the docs is that your brain needs 90 days to start to "reset" from any addiction and then a year of "sobriety" for your brain chemistry to truly start to change.
Surfcowboy--thanks.  That's good news.  I could easily give up cookies and ice cream. for 90 days.  As long as it doesn't have to be 90 in a row. 

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
Are you guys joking Doctors. They are the last person you ask a health or nutrition question. Strong 90 percent can't even take care themselves. They are to use to prescribing medications and no long term permanent nutrition  health plans because they Are in the business of making money. Not helping you with long term good health. If you are healthy how often do you go to the doctor? Next to none so they don't make no money. So why would you even consider listening to a bunch of b/s. You sick and unhealthy he is your best friend because that's more money for his/her practice Common sense.SOS the title of this thread is What are you doing? Not what the doctor doing.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »
First I thought those comments about doctors were a bit extreme.  After all, who isn't in business to make money?  And I swim and run with some really fit doctors. 

Then I got thinking.  Of all the people I know who've died, pretty much every one of them did it in a hospital, and who were they talking to shortly before they keeled over?  Doctors.

I don't think anyone's ever died right after talking to a nutritionist. 

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »
First I thought those comments about doctors were a bit extreme.  After all, who isn't in business to make money?  And I swim and run with some really fit doctors. 

Then I got thinking.  Of all the people I know who've died, pretty much every one of them did it in a hospital, and who were they talking to shortly before they keeled over?  Doctors.

I don't think anyone's ever died right after talking to a nutritionist. 

Well then again you believe what you believe. For me that's what I strongly believe because I proved them wrong to many times when it comes to believing in my health and my two cents is REAL life experiences 100 percent for REAL not just something I just learned. It's a life style so its something I practice and preach on a everyday basis. So dont really care if it's kind of EXTREME its what I believe and live by not B/S and fairy tales.

aL

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal