Author Topic: what are you doing ?  (Read 17536 times)

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
what are you doing ?
« on: November 12, 2010, 04:33:57 PM »
I recently asked Randy about starting a new training/fitness topic. Wow that was fast! I recently started a circuit training program and its working well,but I'm interested in what type of training and diet is working for you all. Let's hear it. Thanks,FMS

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: what are you doing ?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
I swim with a team a couple times per week, run some, and think about lifting weights and improving my diet.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:54 PM »
This is the year for me to get into shape. Can't start this weekend because we're throwing a Festivus party for relatives we won't be seeing for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Plus the last Formula One race is this weekend--that means a big breakfast. Hey Randy, I made some KICK ASS pea soup with ham hocks. Gallon of it.  No point starting on Monday because it's our last day for awhile in Hood River. So starting Tuesday. Oh wait, Tuesday I'm on the plane to Maui, and the food is pretty good on Hawaiian Airlines, and I'll be sitting all day, so that blows Tuesday.

So starting Wednesday...oh, wait, I'll just have gotten back. Naturally I've got to get in the water, but I have to get the cars and motorcycles started, sort through the boards, remember to plug the drainholes I drilled last year, probably do a Costco run to stock the joint. And we'll want to go out in Paia on Wednesday night.

So Thursday...

Anyway, this is the year. I'm starting my first two weeks in Maui with a clean-out diet and going from there. Good nutrition, less beer. Sounds like my own private hell to me, but I'm going for it. The exercise stuff I'll figure out as I go. I'm going to ask Dave to show me a few things but I don't want to die on a beach, so that might be a challenge. More bicycle riding, more weight workouts (blech!), more swimming, max water time. Not just surfing and downwinding, I'm going to go hard for distance.

This is the year. I turn 64 this January. I'm not rolling over 65 at anything over 220#.

Plus I bought Randy's OC1, so that might help.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »
Sounds like another excellent thread!

Just got back from Disneyland.  Woohoo!  No exercise, lots of food, some beer.  

Before that it was a work project.  Auwe!  Little exercise, lots of food, some beer.

For exercise,  I've been doing mostly too little.  Some light crossfit-type bodyweight exercises, some running, occasional weights, and my new thang:  Paddling in my pool (see other thread).  Can't wait to get on a board to see if the pool paddling helps.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:16:54 PM by Six Feet and Glassy »
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

Big Z

• Rincon Status
  • It's all about the fun, wasssuppp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:46:10 PM »
Ponobill, know what you mean. Started my new eating, lifestyle change last Dec. and went from 315 to 255. My goal...235! The last couple of months have not lost anything so...come the morning 1000cal a day for a week to get the ball rolling again. Damn no beer...this is going to suck! So hang in there I feel your pain. Oh and have a good trip enjoy that sun because I'm stuck here in Washington were its freaking cold. Aloha! ;D

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:52:23 AM »
I went to the physical therapist yesterday about a little nagging shoulder thing and told him I'm planning on doing the 11 City Tour in Holland in August, the clinic is mainly for sports injuries and they have many elite athletes passing through. He kinda went a little quiet when I told him it was (220k) 136 miles in 5 days, particularly when I told him that I had paddled 29 miles in one day, once, downwind.

He was kind enough to tell me the little saying that they have in the clinic:   If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail

So I need a plan, fast, to get enough meat onto my skinny body to make the distance. Keep trying to console myself with the fact that Connor did it and Anne Marie did it, they don't look so tough.....oh dear ::)

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
About 7 years ago I was 345 lbs.  Focused on the diet for a year and didn't worry about exercise at first.  That helped me get down to about 280 lbs or so.  Then I added in exercise - weights 3x a week & cardio 3x a week.  I mixed it up between Beach Body videos (the prequel to P90X) and got a trainer at the local gym for a month.  That got me down to about 230 lbs over the next year to year and a half.  Of course I had to keep watching what I ate (no more 30 chicken wings followed by a half gallon of ice cream).

Got married 4 years ago & slowly gained back about 15 lbs.  Decided it was getting out of control (plus we have a little one coming) and didn't want to gain it all back.  I started tracking what I eat (targeted 2000 calories a day) and the exercise is walking the dogs and hour a day (Mon - Fri), lifting weights 2-3x a week, and paddlesurfing 2-3 hrs on the weekends.  I'm at 210 lbs now and holding pretty steady (calories are up to about 2200 a day)...

In my experience no fads or crazy diets are necessary.  Eat sensibly & exercise & it'll come off...  It might take a little longer but you'll change your lifestyle along the way which is what makes it last...

Johnny Mac

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »
AJR,

My hat's off to you brother!!  That is an amazing feat of will power and a testament to your personal committment.  I only wish I had your dedication.

Congrats on the baby and the new level of fitness!!

John

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:37 AM »
Sup took me from 215 to around 185. 

My food intake is reasonable.  I eat breakfast, and lunch and seldom dinner.  That helped me maintain when the surfs not in the mood.

I don't cross train.  Surfing is fun and surfing a beach break keeps me working hard to get more waves.  Last Sat I was surfing a 6 to 8 ft swell at our beach break.  I had to prone paddle a few times as I was getting worked but I managed to catch some good waves.  If its not fun I know my motivation to do it is low.

Occasionally I go on a distance paddle.  Sure feel nice and tight after a long paddle. I am not a racer nor do I train for racing but I do like to pull the paddle and sweat while working hard.  Last week I paddled from our Pebble beach to South Beach a distance of over 3 miles.  Nice paddle, lots of following wind but in to close to get runners.  Just enjoyed every stroke of the journey.

For those of you who don't have excesses of time, and have access to water I think paddling with reasonable food intake is your ticket to a lean hard body.  I know at 59 I sure don't have a typical 59 year old body.  I am stronger than I was in high school and weigh about the same.  Just wish my structure was still 18 but thats another problem. Hope to paddle till I am cold and done, which I think paddling will give me a few more years to enjoy life.

Enjoy your paddle, pull hard and feel tight everywhere.  Great for your noggin as well as your body.

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:05:08 AM »
My wife finally convinced me to start doing P90X.  She has been doing it for a year.  It's an at home work out DVD series.  I am 48 and in pretty good shape but dont really get to SUP or SURF or Kite that much at home.  We spend the winters in Puerto Rico and get down there a bunch other wise but its on then off.  Felt like I needed something when I could not be on the water, to make sure I was ready when I did.  Plus at 48, I am not telling anyone how much easier it is to get hurt and how much longer it takes to heal. Especially when your brain still tells you you are 20!

P90X is awesome.  Tons of core and balance work.  Blend of Yoda, Kempo, Plyo and good old fashioned ass whuppin push ups, ab work and pull ups.  Takes 30 - 60 minutes a day and requires very little equipment.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »
I have been eating and trying to follow Scott Estrada's SUPERFOOD diet.  No dairy, refined sugars, or dead food.  Eat tons of fiber and only organic fruits and veges.  If anyone ever gets a chance to attend one of his SUPer Food clinics I highly recommend it.  I have lost 10 lbs and feel great.  Went from 180 lbs to a lean 170 lbs in 4 weeks.  Feeling great.  Oh yea I cut out the bean too (coffee) which I was addicted to and didnt realize the effects it had on me until I quit.  I still drink beer and have the occasional desert though :)
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
A few years ago I was around 100kg.  At my height this was pretty big, two hands around the bulge on the belly etc etc.  Was even puffing on ventolin from time to time.  I had always surfed but working in a surfboard factory, eating delivery Japanese every day and sitting in front of a computer quickly blew me out.

I visited a Naturopath who put me on a low carb program.  To complement this and to assist in the loss I started running, boxing, push ups, sit ups, pull ups etc etc. I did this every day for 45-60  minutes at least.  In 6 weeks I lost around 15kgs and this completely changed my life.  The best part was from then onwards I have trained in some way and feel terrible if I don't.  Sloppy, lazy, disconnected.

SUP was a great thing to begin as it was hard work when the waves were bad.

These days I train with my Outrigging club in the 6 man 3 times per week, boxing 2 nights per week, surf when there is waves, train with the boys on the creek on SUP when I can get there and paddle my OC1 whenever time or conditions permit.  In short I am up everyday at 4:15am and have done something before my wife even wakes up, I usually get home as she is getting up.  People ask how I find the time, the answer: Just get up earlier!  even paddling in the dark in Winter.

My point to this is.  If you want to train and get fit just get moving.  Once you get past the hard bit at the start your body falls into the pattern and soon you have no choice but to keep going.  The other tip is that if you struggle to train hard on your own join a group of some kind, the ribbing you get for slacking or not turning up is usually enough for most blokes to push a bit harder.  Competitive team sports are a good way, compete for a seat in the boat in order to compete with boat fulls of other people that have been training as well.

If you can find someone with good knowledge of cardio systems, interval training, fartlek work and nutrition this is always good.

One more tip that worked for me is that I used to get the hungry horrors after training really hard, my coach put me on to a great quality, low carb Whey Protein Isolate that is low calorie and carb but super high protein that fills me up and the crazy eating has stopped.

Hope this helps someone in some way.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »
CMC--Great timing!!!  All of us in the U.S. will start tomorrow--after we sit down to the biggest, most fattening meal of the year tonight for Thanksgiving.   ;D

I do think I'm going to try to fit in either a long run or a paddle first, though.

cheekymonkey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 04:41:21 AM »
Oh yea I cut out the bean too (coffee) which I was addicted to and didnt realize the effects it had on me until I quit. 

hi river, i'm the same with the bean, what were the effects & results you experienced out of interest :)

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
load the carbs no other way to do it. lmao thats what they all preach and thats all they think there is.SOS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal