Author Topic: Personal Floatation Devices (Life Vests) Just one persons view.  (Read 49545 times)

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Floatation Devices (Life Vests) Just one persons view.
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »
Ya might want to check out O'Neils. I got the Outlaw vest for when I was kiting... Arms cut pretty low and was pretty comfortable except for the girls... but no worries for you dudes... ;D

Blane Chambers

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »
Will DO! ;)   

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »
Blaine,
Keep me posted on any new vest you try. If any life vest company contacts you and needs a SUP "crash dummie"...........SIGN ME UP :D

Aloha Sam

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 01:08:50 AM »
I've been wearing the Oneill wake vest on bigger days and am really happy with it.I feels just like a regular wetsuit vest and does not impede my surfing at all.It seems to give a bit of floatation but without the bulk of a pfd.I wear it after copping a rib cartlidge injury when I first started SUP.
Cheers from downunder.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 02:10:16 AM »
Blaine,
Keep me posted on any new vest you try. If any life vest company contacts you and needs a SUP "crash dummie"...........SIGN ME UP :D

Aloha Sam

Have you or Blane tried this years revised Dakine Matrix? The zipper now goes up about 2 inches higher. This makes a huge difference.

skyfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 02:57:57 AM »
If you surf in a site that does not have and inmediate channel and for some reason you get caught in (we call it "PRENDIO! in PR), nothing to do but wait till the sets go by and current moves you to the other end, then a PFD is greatly appreciated. Used Body Glove's Vapor comp at the end of our season and it did made a difference since the amount of exertion needed to stay a float what minimized . I would use it anytime is solid 8 and bigger.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 08:09:42 AM »
Blaine,

Aloha Sam

Have you or Blane tried this years revised Dakine Matrix? The zipper now goes up about 2 inches higher. This makes a huge difference.

Howzit DW,
I tried 3 of them 2 of which were the straight front zippered one....   I wrote this review on it on page 2...  Take into consideration everyones body type is different.     For me, this is what I felt about it...

Dakine Matrix Impact Vest  This vest is by far the best looking, best protecting and best constructed vest on the market.     This really is a bummer because for me, this one and its front, straight zippered equivalent is very restrictive for SUP compared to others...   Super high neck cut and high arm pit cut.     It is also very stiff which is why it feels so safe.    Getting in and out of it is TOUGH! 
USCG Approved: No
Buoyancy: 3
Comfort: 2
Agility: 2
Protection: 5
Overall Quality: 5+   (Awesome construction and beautiful!)

Blane Chambers

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
Blaine,

Aloha Sam

Sounds good Sam!     I remember first time seeing you out on the North Shore around 4 years ago wearing a vest.     You were on your big purple board getting some insane lefts and I was going right on my old Munoz with the short paddle.      This winter is gonna be fun!!

I'm really excited for next winter because I think I can finally remember to put one on because I am getting more into exploring what a good vest can do for us.     My number one priority with it is the comfort factor.    If it restricts you from surfing then I don't want to wear one.     This is why I have bought and sold or donated 8 of them.     Different sizes etc.....    Its tough to know how they feel in the store.   Sometimes they feel awesome then you go out and they restrict or give rash or most times both.   

Would of been nice to of had a vest here...   Got worked AND hit by my board...   A few years ago....
photo by hawaiianswell

Wearing the XCEL Mack here.   It's still to bulky and restricting.     When crouching to cutback or do a low center gravity bottom turn, it pushes the vest up to hit my neck.    This was the last time I used this one... photo by allen mozo

Here I'm wearing the XCEL Method Impact.   It feels so much better because it allows more freedom of movement and is not bothersome when fully crouched off the bottom...    My goal is to find one that feels like this but is USCG approved.   photo by allen mozo

The XCEL Method Impact about to be impacted.     Hitting the water at speed or having the lip land on you is another perfect time for these vests to make your life better.       There is a huge difference when you screw up and go "splat " at speed with a vest and without...    Yup, I'm gonna find me the best vest for next winter then buy 2 of them...
photo by bruno lemos

There are plenty medium large size days like the above photo that are not crowded.      If you are willing to go to out of the way places...      You can have it all to yourself or whoever you bring.     Vest makes sense.

BC

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:56:48 AM by Blane Chambers »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
Damn Blane...I think if I was planning on going out in that I 'd want to be wearing a M1 Abrams brand vest. I don't think it's USCG approved though.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 02:50:41 AM »
The cost of fuel for the M1 Abrams may be a problem.

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 04:25:42 AM »
Blane, have you given any feedback/suggestions to DaKine?  Maybe since you and River (Dan) are prominent in the industry, you guys can bend DaKine's ear so they can make some modifications where their product is more suitable for SUP.  I can only imagine that any modifications made will fit just as well for the kite and windsurfing community as well.

Your photos are should grab their R&D departments attention!!! 
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 06:24:11 AM »
I've brought this Idea to a "Da Kind" rep. years ago. They said "it sounds like a good idea". But like anything else unless there's a liability issues & pending approvals. ::)

I'm not we'll known in the surfing industry, I have a lot good ideas and have gone through years of R&D with a vest for surfing (prone & SUP). What I fear is that a big name person will grab this idea and market it. Then the small & humble guys (me & Blaine) will be left in the dark. >:(

I guess....If this does happen and it makes a person safer in the water........"then so be it!" At least ocean can be a safer place....... :)

Aloha.......Sam

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 08:35:17 AM »
Blane,

Next time you go to China, stop by a soft goods factory and put your own vest design in production.

Dream big, you're on your way!

tumbledry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:03 PM »
Blane, Sam (or anyone wearing a vest) what vest(s) got you through this past winter?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »
Blane, thanks for starting this thread and thanks to all for popping it back up from time to time. Every time I read it I see some new stuff. I'm still not wearing a vest, even on days that pretty much scare the heck out of me, but I'm going to start. I need to find something that fits without turning me into the michelin man. I'm pretty close to that already, so it might be a tall order. I've bought three so far and none of them work well. the Dakine comes close but it pushes out under my arms and chafes. I might have to do some tailoring.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal