Author Topic: Personal Floatation Devices (Life Vests) Just one persons view.  (Read 49541 times)

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Floatation Devices (Life Vests) Just one persons view.
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »
I have gotten sent back in 3 times in long beach.  Those cartridge inflatable waist pack are notoriously unreliable.  I have seen several pictures on this site of guys wearing Kokotat Orbit (pretty sure) PFDs and those look workable if you HAD to have a vest.  And I mean this for "saftey" and for getting the CG to stop hassling me....even when I had the waist pack they still pulled me over and standing there fiddling around I fell off for good measure.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:20:56 PM by Shawn Michael »

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »
Aloha JC,
Blane, Sam (or anyone wearing a vest) what vest(s) got you through this past winter?
Currently now I'm wearing a impact vest of from Pacific Rad Sports. They are manufacture by "Bullet Ski Line" and is made of "Neoprene Compression Foam". It's well constructed and floats me well (and I'm a big guy). This is what I used in the 'Makahiki SUP Invitationals"at Makaha several weeks ago. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2988.15

The waves was 8'-10'ft with some occasional 12' footer (20'-24' faces). I will use this vest only in these conditions, anything bigger I go to a USCG Approved Vest. If you need a vest contact Eddie a "Pacific Rad Sports": http://www.prshawaii.com/

Here's the Impact Vest:

Chuck Patterson came over to wish me luck in the finals.....Cool :D

Now if the waves get any bigger then that, I'll use the same vest I used in last years 2008 Ku Ikaika event. It's neoprene and has a good floatation with very little chafing...and to top it off.....it was cheap..$42

Here's me at the event:

Please keep in mind that all the best equipment in the world won't keep you from understanding how much "risk" your putting your into. Never rely on your equipment to give you that understanding. It's your "experience & knowledge" that give you that understanding....Your equipment is just an "extension" of your ability to understand how much "risk" your putting yourself into....... ;) ;)

I hope this was helpful......Be safe in the ocean. It can change in a moments notice!!

Aloha......Sam

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2009, 04:05:46 AM »
I saw a new model Dakine vest when I was in Hawaii last week. At least it was new to me.

It was not the Matrix, this one was a tow-in specific vest with handle on the shoulders, so the sled guy could grab you.

It had more floatation than the Matrix and didn't have the elastic band under the arm pit that gives some people fit problems with the Matrix.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 06:59:51 AM »
Aloha Dwight,
It's the "Tow-In" Vest made DaKine........I have one.. :D
I saw a new model Dakine vest when I was in Hawaii last week. At least it was new to me.

It was not the Matrix, this one was a tow-in specific vest with handle on the shoulders, so the sled guy could grab you.

It had more floatation than the Matrix and didn't have the elastic band under the arm pit that gives some people fit problems with the Matrix.
This vest is what I wish I had when I used to do tow-in.......several years back. It's great!!!

It's been around for about ::) ::)  4years now and is very popular with the tow-in community......It's not USCG approved but has the same buoyancy criteria or more.

The handle on it's shoulder/neck area is a safety measure if the "towed" surfer was to ever have a problem while getting "beat to hell" on a 40'+ wall of white water and held down longer then his breath holding ability can handle.

His partner now is able to come in and grab him (while he's unconscious) and get out of harms way and start the chain of survival or CPR. This is what you can learn in the "Ocean Safety Educational Course". But that a whole new different story.

Here's the link if your interested in learning/attending:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2042.0

However I tried using it for SUP and I must say I that it's not a very good vest to use. Please don't get me wrong it does float very well ...BUT! after your first wipe out the vest WILL absorb water. Now a weight factor comes into play. You will float to the top but you feel like your wearing a soaked towel.

The water will drain-out (eventually), but throw in the fact that after your first beating and paddling out to the line-up your bearing that extra weight, trying to paddle, your breathing become heavy, your shoulder becomes tired, and your trying keep up with this 20' massive wall that's coming at you...... :o :o  WOW I'm getting tired just explaining it. (You get the picture)

Needless to say that it works VERY well with the "Tow-In" communitty, but I don't think it will fare just as well with SUP'er. Just my two cent & sharing my MANA'O.......

Aloha......Sam
P.S....I'll put these things through the test so no one has too. :D :D.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 06:35:06 PM »

Please keep in mind that all the best equipment in the world won't keep you from understanding how much "risk" your putting your into. Never rely on your equipment to give you that understanding. It's your "experience & knowledge" that give you that understanding....Your equipment is just an "extension" of your ability to understand how much "risk" your putting yourself into....... ;) ;)

You said it Sam. I've been in and around the ocean most of my life and I still feel like I'm only scratching the surface of knowledge. I watch guys that were born and raised surfing the heavy waves of Hawaii and I'm always watching and trying to learn from them. There's just so much more going on in the ocean here with currents, rips, rocks, and just massive grinders rolling through. I like Brian Keaulana's approach to ocean safety. He approaches it with an almost military like planning process and attention to detail.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Personal Floatation Devices (Life Vests)
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
Another plus is that they keep you warm and you can swim forever. I lost a board in december and the offshores were blowing it out to sea. I swam for 2 1/2 hours into open ocean to chase it down.

I just read this and it blew my mind. I would have written that board off 15 mins into the swim and turned back.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 11:19:24 PM »
The  Dakine Matrix Impact Kiteboarding Vest is my choice.  I don't even realize I have it on when I am out there.  Not a ton of flotation but lots of protection, light weight, and comfy for me. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
I got my kokotat orbit PFD and for touring it is really great (not for surfing) It is not going to cause you to overheat and is totally unrestrictive.....the CG can kiss my ass.  Right past all the rowers, kitesurfers, windsurfers, outriggers and ding dongs in kayaks only after the SUP.

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/Retail/PFD/Orbit-Tour.shtml
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:20:27 PM by Shawn Michael »

Shnoover

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »
Shawn - Did you get the "tour" with the pockets?  If so, what are your thoughts?  I started checking them out based on your earlier post and it looks like the best of the "play" vests from the Kayak co's for flatwater/downwinder only...  The Austral is a bit cheaper, but I think the Orbit might be worth the $20 bucks or whatever it is.  Got any pics?  I might go pick one up this weekend, the USCG wakeboard vest zipper just broke so I had to pull on.  I had a harbor patrol come buzz me, give a quick look and take off last weekend.  First time I've worn it on that loop - good timing!  I wore it Sunday too for good measure, but it's not real comfortable.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 01:35:42 AM »
Yes, I got the tour.  I carry one of the S.P.O.T. safety devices so I like to have a pocket for that and a gels as I go for long trips.  For me one of the big issues with a PFD is overheating and that is not an issue with the orbit....it is so minimal and comfortable you really forget you are wearing it.  The only problem is that is is hard to work with your hydration pack but the vests that have hydration sleeves are very hot when it is 90....such as the hydralics race pro.  Mocke Paddle jackets are great but they are not approved by the CG and they do not make one that fits my size.   

PeteCresswell

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
All I can say is amen!  I still find myself amazed at what you can do on a SUP and one is you can ride a really small wave into really shallow water  . . . Before your fall off!  I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon but it will still be a great thing to do on that last wave of the day . . .

Everyone can decide for themselves but after the bruising I got a few days ago and the reefs I've been shooting through I think the helmet will go back on and at least a thin impact vest will be added to the attire.  When I gain more skill and learn to kick out sooner this will change  ;D  Then again I will never be cool so what me worry  ???

I don't wear a helmet when biking - except for MTB riding.

I don't wear a helmet when windsurfing.... period.   Ditto life jacket.

Having said all that, I windsurf with a guy who works regularly in hospital emergency rooms as an orthopod.   This guy wears a helmet and life jacket *religiously*..... 

That tells me something.... although I don't seem yet to have the brains to act on it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
I wear a camelback pretty much all the time that I'm cruising or doing downwinders. the CG seems to think it's a life preserver. i don't see any reason to correct them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal