Author Topic: Nutrition - on board, before and after.  (Read 11015 times)

Johnny Mac

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nutrition - on board, before and after.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »
Clif bars.
I love sitting down on my board and gnawing on one in front of a proner.
It's like the final blow.....could only hurt more if i opened a picnic basket Ehh Boo-Boo?

Not that you couldn't just stuff one in your wetsuit if you went prone too.

And again, the Capri sun packs stuff easy for small volume hydration.

Def have had sessions though where i sat down to lunch with one eye on the horizon :D

You seem to be sitting a lot, I prone paddle more than stand up but just had to point that out about the sitting,   ;D

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 02:40:15 PM »
I think the whole point of that video and what I have found out is that everyone has a different make up and our nutritional needs will vary. I have found out that I don't do well with Any sugar or even complex carbs like grains or whole wheat. I mainly eat Lean protein , good fats from coconut , hemp oil and seeds, nuts and avocados , a lot of veggies of all colors and some fruit but not much and no starch of any kind.  I had to play around with the amount of protein and good fats I consumed as well as carbs until I had optimal energy and was able to still loose weight. If you are eating a good healthy well balanced diet for your body type and getting enough good fats stored in your liver you will not need any type of supplements for a 2 to 3 hour session paddle surfing or a similar length distance paddle. As Tish states in the Video , If you are consistent with your nutrition and feed your body well you should have 3 days worth of energy stored up in your liver.  All I drink when going for long distance paddles is water period !!! 

I can tell you that since I have changed my diet and found what works for me it is CRAZY how much energy and stamina I have now, compared to what I felt Just 6 months ago. I am 5'11 and weigh about 195 . When I began to change the way I eat I weighed about 210,  my goal is to get down to 180 maybe 175 but losing weight was never my main intention , it is just living a lifestyle that allows me to be operating in life with maximum energy and minimum fatigue especially when paddling, at just about 50 years old thats HUGE. And what Tish talks about is a good beginning.

Like Larry said any type of food Man makes is not as good as fresh and natural.

Hey Bill let us know how you are doing with the coaching from Tish. Good luck and hang in there it's worth it.  :))

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
I think the whole point of that video and what I have found out is that everyone has a different make up and our nutritional needs will vary. I have found out that I don't do well with Any sugar or even complex carbs like grains or whole wheat. I mainly eat Lean protein , good fats from coconut , hemp oil and seeds, nuts and avocados , a lot of veggies of all colors and some fruit but not much and no starch of any kind.  I had to play around with the amount of protein and good fats I consumed as well as carbs until I had optimal energy and was able to still loose weight. If you are eating a good healthy well balanced diet for your body type and getting enough good fats stored in your liver you will not need any type of supplements for a 2 to 3 hour session paddle surfing or a similar length distance paddle. As Tish states in the Video , If you are consistent with your nutrition and feed your body well you should have 3 days worth of energy stored up in your liver.  All I drink when going for long distance paddles is water period !!! 

I can tell you that since I have changed my diet and found what works for me it is CRAZY how much energy and stamina I have now, compared to what I felt Just 6 months ago. I am 5'11 and weigh about 195 . When I began to change the way I eat I weighed about 210,  my goal is to get down to 180 maybe 175 but losing weight was never my main intention , it is just living a lifestyle that allows me to be operating in life with maximum energy and minimum fatigue especially when paddling, at just about 50 years old thats HUGE. And what Tish talks about is a good beginning.

Hey Bill let us know how you are doing with the coaching from Tish. Good luck and hang in there it's worth it.  :))

wow bra I thought you was spilling the beans. No need nobody listens anyway. Different strokes for different IMO a letum find out themselves.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 10:16:22 PM »

wow bra I thought you was spilling the beans. No need nobody listens anyway. Different strokes for different IMO a letum find out themselves.
SEA's post was really helpful to me.  I'm glad he posted it.  The video was also excellent.  Everyone has to find out for themselves what works for them, but hearing what works for others speeds that process up. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 09:00:40 AM »
This has been a good one. Just back from a vacation where I surfed and paddled at least once and often twice a day.

I found that after a session some spirulina protein powder dropped into a fruity zero sugar electrolyte drink worked pretty well to keep me fed. I was eating a ton, but Mike's person looks to be right for me. I was way less sore when I got something in me quickly.

I agree it's all personal, but it's good to hear what folks do. For me, when I cut out bread (processed wheat flour) I get skinnier.

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
For simple hydration I've used Gookinaide/aka hydralyte/aka vitalyte with great success. Far too much sugar in gator/power-ades. If I must drink those, I dilute by half with spring water. 

Good diet and pre-feeding not withstanding, I need a snack on the water if I go past 90 minutes.
Good ole Clif bars work for me as do the Greens+ line of bars.

I agree with the protein + healthy fats idea the video suggested.
If you want to explore that in much greater detail, new this week, is the book, Four Hour Body by Tim Ferris. The guy is a bit of a freak, but does his home work and his research seems solid. The diet and strength training is cutting edge.

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
read tim ferris as well, good book.  just like his book says, take what works for you.  no reason to make something more complicated and think because its complicated it works any better.  take the simplest method that works and use it.  i found out that i was intolerant to gluten and by cutting out the wheat and other flours with gluten ive dropped tons fat off my body.  another good one ive cut out is alcohol.  leaves me more calories that i can put towards real food, and makes it alot easier to get going early in the morning no matter how little sleep ive gotten the night before.
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

whit

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Nut mix, juice and water after a workout :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal