Author Topic: Jeremy Riggs wave @ Pier One  (Read 11584 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jeremy Riggs wave @ Pier One
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
The word from people I know that live in Wailuku was that they could see the trail of the twenty foot wave that Jeremy caught with a SUP on the biggest day (Nov 2nd) out at Pier One.   He's the man in my book.   He balances work, family and then paddles out and rides the biggest wave ever ridden on a SUP.  Unreal.  Everyone else, like me, was inside the harbor getting waist high mush.  Pier one at that size is as heavy a wave as exists on the planet.  Longer and hollower than Jaws.  Yesterday was still good size but much smaller and the last of the good conditions.  Today the monsoon has arrived on Maui.

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy Riggs wave @ Pier One
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »
I heard about this but didn't know who it was. Jeremy charges for sure!  Like you I was also at the harbor and almost paddled out just to watch close up. If I had a 10'6 gun I might have even considered dropping in on some of the smaller ones. R Naish, Kai Lenny and D Kalama went to uppers that day and said faces were around 18ft. Pier 1 was by far one of the heaviest spots due to the swell angle. Even the tow teams were holding back on some of the sets. I hope someone got a pic of Jeremey. I would love to know what board he was on. Definately hats off to him.

downwindaddiction

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:17:38 AM »
Yes,  please posts some picks if anyone has got em.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »
A whole different level....
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
Jeremy charged.. Saw him rite after and he was still glowing, and in a hurry because he was late for work....He was riding a new 9'0'' x 26.25'' x 3.75'' board that I had just made him. Not only was he under gunned but this was the first real time he rode it.. Should have been on at least his 10' board.....

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »
Bill,

Amazing ... if he were doing laydown... it would have probably been on a longer board... with SUP, there are so many variables... that to charge bigger stuff, you don't necessarily need an elephant gun... you can change other variables...

What is your take on this idea?  Sorry for the thread hijack...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The following story will live in me forever....

I headed down for dawn patrol on Tuesday morning and the swell had definitely arrived. I couldn't tell exactly how big it was from shore, but I was pressed for time so I just paddled out. It wasn't until I paddled out that I realized how big it really was. I sat in the channel to observe for a while and saw some familiar faces towing in on some bombs. It was big, but looked manageable to me. I paddled out to the peak and let a couple sets pass. I could see another set on the horizon and decided it was now or never. I did have to go to work at some point this morning. I could see a wave coming my way with my name all over it. I turned and paddled like crazy and started to make the drop. The drop seemed to go on forever and when I finally made it halfway I realized I wasn't going to make it to the bottom. I started going down the line while it was sucking up underneath me. It was time to get going and I didn't have a lot of speed. The wave slowly caught up to me and barreled over me. At this moment I thought I was going to get creamed, but in an instant the wave began to slow down. It was then I realized I might actually make it out of this barrel. I couldn't believe this wave was this hollow. I came out of the barrel and immediately thanked the Lord for being so gracious to me. I caught two more bombs and it was time to head into work.

It was a bittersweet day, however. Not long after this ride of my life I found out about the death of Andy. I couldn't help thinking that he was somehow out there with me, putting me in the perfect spot to catch that perfect wave.

Thanks to Bill Foote for making me some great boards, Jimmy Terrell from Quickblade for the best paddles out there, and the Naish Team for their support.

Aloha,
Jeremy

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »
Thats awesome Jeremy.  Moments like that, time slows your awareness expands, make this sport what it is.  Thanks for sharing that.  I only wish I could have been there to watch. 

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »
Jeremy, you have all my respect.
Actually you always had it from the very first time I met you at the very beginning of SUP surfing... just love your humble attitude.
See you out there! (maybe not at Pier one!.. I'm too old for that!!)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
Awesome..

DJ

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »
Much respect Jeremy.  Just for charging out there in those conditions on a brand new board you hadn't even ridden before.  The fact that you rode it the way you did, is the icing on the cake.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »
Great story Jeremy, 

It's nice to be able to enjoy that from the comfort of an easy chair.   :o

Time to update your avatar with a bigger wave!
Support your local shaper

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 03:45:20 AM »
Goosebumps!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Jeremy...

What's so cool about this is he didn't do it for the cameras...the vast majority of hellmen these days would have made sure that it was documented...some wouldn't have attempted it unless they knew there was a camera...

Pics are cool...but, just talking story is cool , too...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 09:24:13 AM »
I checked Pier One that morning and couldn't even see where the outside waves were breaking cuz the ones in front blocked the view.  I had my camera but even if I knew someone was out there, I don't know what I woulda done.  There was no safe 50 yd line seats to shoot from.  No safety anywhere.   Looked like chaos to me.  Huge chaos.  Buzz and Arch saw Jeremy out there as they drove their ski up to outer Sprecks.  They yanked into a few bombs and came close to losing their ski a few times.  Buzz and I went for a Maliko run yesterday and he told me Arch picked him up after a go down and gunned it with the next whitewater nipping at his heels as he hung on the sled.  You better feel like you have a Rolls Royce 16 cylinder engine, like Jeremy, if you want that stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal